Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-26-2010, 11:38 PM   #1
Jeminai

Default A Giant's Free Step

I have a giant (SM +3) that is being attacked by a human (SM 0). The human has a 2-handed Long Spear (Reach: 2,3) and stabs at the giant. If the giant chooses to take a retreating dodge, how many hexes will he move back?

If the giant does this retreat could my 2-handed axe still reach the human (I need to know how to scale the reach of this weapon up to an SM +3). Lets assume that the human and the giant began this encounter with 3 hexes between them and the human took his free step to make his attack possible.

An idea i had to detrmine how many hexes a step is was that it is equal to 1+SM, making the giant in this scenario have a free step of 4 hexes. Is this too much/little? This would also mean that halflings (SM -1) would have free steps of 0 hexes which is not what I want, at all).

Also a SM 0 creature with a move of 10 get a 2 hex free move. How does this scale up the SM chart?
Jeminai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:51 PM   #2
munin

Default Re: A Giant's Free Step

Hi, Jeminai : )

Your step distance is solely dependent on your Move, not your SM (p. B368). It's 1/10 Move (1 yard for Move 1-10, 2 yards for Move 11-20, etc.).

See Size Modifier and Reach (p. B402) for adjusting weapon reach for SM. An SM+3 giant adds 2 yards to the upper end of his weapon's reach.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:02 AM   #3
SuedodeuS

Default Re: A Giant's Free Step

There are several places where one must be careful not to extend the name of a GURPS trait too far. Step is one of these. A GURPS Step is a quick movement that takes a fraction of a second. It needn't involve a full-extension step, nor does it need to involve only a single step. An SM+3 giant may be able to travel 4 yards in a single stride, but if his Basic Speed is 5 it takes him nearly a full second to take that stride. A GURPS Step for him is one where he either takes a very short, quick step, or essentially shuffles his feet. On the other side of the equation, an SM-1 halfling might not be able to step a full yard. For him, a GURPS Step is a quick succession of steps to get into position.

Tags
scaling rules, size modifier