Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 01-29-2023, 07:19 AM   #131
hal

Default Re: Mageborn are like Coins - Worldbuilding TL 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
1)

If we're roughly using mediaeval England as a template, things seem to have been pretty Wild West among the "nobility" (it seems like there was frequently only a generation or two between "successful bandit" and "aristocrat" and it showed), so kidnapping each others' mages seems like it might well be part of the normal round of dirty work at the crossroads. However, this might be limited by the same factors that prevented them from just upping and declaring war on each other (at least not too often). If it was a more powerful noble who did it, and you didn't have the firepower to stop him yourself, you could appeal to the King (results depending on which of you he likes better and how anxious he is not to have a war right now). If it was the King, you might be out of luck, but he might be wary of breaking pre-arranged deals with his knights too often in case they all rebelled at once for fear that the same thing would happen to them - he could squelch one knight, but he couldn't take all of them on at once.

(It sounds like Hal is thinking of using a random table of outside awkward events that might happen to manors from time to time, and trouble from other nobles or the king might be included in that).
My role in all of this is that of guiding people in setting things into motion. For instance - imagine if two of you were to agree "hey, wouldn't it be neat if we were neighbors?" Now you can work together with your mageborn resources right? Now you can have instances where a young maid meets a young buck at a harvest fair in a nearby town of 1,500or so people. I might tell you how many businesses there are in that small town, which may or may not include an alchemist or two. I might point out that the Young Maid and the Young Buck are taken in with each other, and the buck approaches his father to ask what he thinks should happen for him to woo the fair young maid. Father goes to the Lord asking for permission. Lord then asks the lord of the manor that harbors the young maiden. Right there, is a chance for the two nobles to haggle over what they want or don't want (or even if they care) regards that pending wooing and possible marriage. Then lo and behold, in order to test that the woman is or is not fertile, before they can marry, the woman has a bun in the oven. Now what? Will the two nobles offer their blessings on the marriage? But what if the Buck wants to move in with the maid's father so as to insure that the old man has insurance for when he retires (ie a roof over his head and food)?

I could give you all sorts of scenarios like that to play with. I could include the scenario of Day workers from the nearby town offering their services, and the manor being hit with a crime wave. Are the day workers to blame? Some woman decides to house her sister's son without permission at her home - is her nephew a vagrant by the laws and forced away? Custom of the Manor applies here. YOU as the Lord decide how he may or may not want to play things out.

Caravan stops over to fix a busted axle, which the Local smith has to make. Three days later, fever breaks out amongst the holding and two people die of it. How does that make you feel towards future strangers?

A raid occurs that results in 20 acres of land going up in fire. What now? Does the Lord chip in stores for his tenants or they starve? That's up to him. Wife of the Lord has a breach baby - only the services of a midwife can save the wife or the baby, but not both. Who lives and who dies? Wife of a peasant contracts an infection during childbirth and dies shortly thereafter of torn (well, we'll keep this PG rated and fade to black). How does that impact on the Lord (if at all)?

Now - nothing in the mageborn rules state that all magergy has be an all or nothing affair. Maybe only 1/2 of all mageborn have PURE magery. The rest have aspected magery. One could say "hey, can I switch out magery 0 for magery 1 in one college?" Sure - if you want to experiment with that, go for it.

This is Not necessarily a WORLD that I run as GM so much as a way to set things up and let you explore ramifications and see where it takes you.

With this in motion, now you have to work with mageborn with magery 0 and IQ 9 and wonder "how might those people be useful to the Lord? With this in motion, now you can work with specifics instead of in generalities and ask yourself "Just how much will we find the higher magics in GURPS MAGIC available to daily life."

https://www.worldanvil.com/w/scourge-of-shards-schpdx

Go to bottom of page to see lectures 1-11
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 02:16 PM   #132
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
I would suggest that if you engage in a few scenarios where you take a single yeoman up against a single mageborn limited to Magery 0 - and see what the net result is. Then run the same scenario versus a magery 1 mageborn, etc - until a single mageborn can reliably beat out a single warrior. With GURPS MAGIC as written, I would bet that the answer will be mageborn aren't reliable enough in a combat situation, to be the equal of a warrior.
A mageborn's use in and value to an army depends mainly on what spells they know, and while Magery level limits that in some systems, it doesn't limit it enough to say where 'generic Magery 0 mageborn' stacks up. Outside of combat, Seek Food, Test Food, and Purify Food are of amazing use to a medieval army, far more so than just another fighter, and that's only one set of spells.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 07:22 PM   #133
StevenH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
A mageborn's use in and value to an army depends mainly on what spells they know, and while Magery level limits that in some systems, it doesn't limit it enough to say where 'generic Magery 0 mageborn' stacks up. Outside of combat, Seek Food, Test Food, and Purify Food are of amazing use to a medieval army, far more so than just another fighter, and that's only one set of spells.

Logistics mages. Essential Food* is spectacular, and only requires Magery 0. Shape Earth is also Magery 0, and it's useful for farming as well as fortifying military camps. Purify Water, Rain, Fog, Preserve Food are others that are useful.

Personally, the way the combat spells work, most mages aren't as cost effective as combatants as would a man at arms. Where they ARE more useful than a standard, mundane soldier is as support for those soldiers.

*It's a bit slow, unless the mage has access to powerstones or other source of external mana; a Magery 0 mage doesn't have access to Recover Energy as that requires Magery 1.

StevenH

My current worldbuilding project. You can find the Adventure Logs of the campaign here. I try to write them up as narrative prose, with illustrations. As such, they are "embellished" accounts of the play sessions.

Link of the moment: Bestiary of Plants. In a world of mana, plants evolved to use it as an energy source.

It is also the new home of the Alaconius Lectures, a series of essays about the various Colleges of Spells.
StevenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 01:22 AM   #134
hal

Hi Prince Charon and StevenH,
While I agree that the use of a "WORKER" mage is not disputed, the point of requiring that a Knight show up with a spear of fighters is the point of duty owed by the Knight. Most often, we don't see what is required in the way of manual labor - and I suspect that warriors who went off to war also came with their support elements (as in the Knight had to provide for food, shelter etc for his fighting men while in the field).

The real problem however, is the mandatory requirement of "Service" by mageborn in military service to a higher liege.

What I suspect would be the case overall (and feel free to disagree - but then be prepared to offer up your own standard **teasing grin** - is that mageborn will not be required to offer up service much like a Knight and his man at arms. In a pitched battle, most mageborn will tend to be relatively useless in the sense of the immediate need. Most battles are protracted affairs, and depending upon which set of rules you use for GURPS MAGIC and alchemical potions, there are no real easy ways for a mageborn to regain lost energy quickly. GURPS MAGIC for 3e states that if you drink a healing potion and your HT (aka hit points) were up to normal levels - in lieu of regaining hit points, you regains 2d6 fatigue. GURPS MAGIC for 4e limits the regained fatigue to only 1d6. When comparing the value of Elixir of Chiron against that of Paut, when it comes to recovering lost fatigue quickly, the healing potion is far cheaper. On the other hand, an fully fresh mageborn who has all their fatigue available, can increase their available energy above their normal state - so Paut has some advantages that the healing potions do not.

That being said - as a fighting man in combat, mageborn in armies tend to be support personnel rather than combatants, and as a world designer (aka a GM) I would tend to state up front, that mageborn who are of minimal capabilities wouldn't be called up with mandatory services any more or less than an ordinary non-fighitng man would.

Old 01-30-2023, 01:32 AM   #135
hal

For what it is worth, I have an excel spreadsheet listing all of the spells from GURPS MAGIC for 4e. I'm in the process of identifying which spells are technically Magery 0 spells. What I'm trying to do is make certain that any given spell description does NOT include spells whose prerequisites require a magery 1 or higher so as to be certain that those spells I list as magery 0 are in fact, strictly magery 0.

I'm also looking to divorce my "Manor family generator" from my "Automated Harn Manor" app, so that it can run as a stand alone in generating manorial family lists.

Then, after that - I'm thinking of a more in-depth NPC generator that will do the following:

Randomly generate stats of 8 to 13 range for ordinary NPCs. Next step is to create/craft a table of actual advantages that might be relatively common. From there, I will generate an attribute roll for Vision, Hearing, Perception, Appearance etc - such that most people will have ordinary hearing, perception, appearances etc - but the rolls will determine in their own right whether the NPC is advantaged in those areas or not.

Then there will be a table that specifies whether the character rolls once, twice, or three times on the advantages table, and things like talents, high pain threshhold, etc - will be made available for NPCs.

Lastly, using a free PDF put out as GURPS HISTORICAL FOLKS, I can even generate the various skills for various people who are employed as farmers, herders, weavers, etc. At the click of a button, a fully fledged NPC can be made. But that is something for later I'm afraid. I expect to broach this topic with at least two members on this thread to see what they themselves would like to see if they had it for their own use. One person I know is a GM and may find it useful for his own campaigns.

For now - I'll concentrate (for the next 5 hours give or take) on firming up my spells database with the magery requisites so that I can then list all of the Magery 0 spells.

Old 01-30-2023, 01:34 AM   #136
hal

Before I forget...

Eventually, it will come time for me to turn my attention to another Alaconius lecture so that StevenH can have a new one to post in his library. If anyone has a request they'd like to send to either StevenH or myself, chances are good that the next lecture will be on what is requested.

:)

Old 01-30-2023, 06:02 AM   #137
hal

Hi All,
My project listing all of the spells by college and by magery is completed. Below in this and the next post, are all magery 0 spells by college

Code:
Air Jet                  Air
Air Vision               Air
Body of Air              Air
Breathe Air              Air
Concussion               Air
Create Air               Air
Destroy Air              Air
Devitalize Air           Air
Earth to Air             Air
Essential Air            Air
No-Smell                 Air
Odor                     Air
Purify Air               Air
Seek Air                 Air
Shape Air                Air
Stench                   Air
Walk on Air              Air
Wall of Wind             Air
Windstorm                Air
Beast Link               Animal
Beast Possession         Animal
Beast Seeker             Animal
Beast Speech             Animal
Beast Summoning          Animal
Beast-Rouser             Animal
Beast-Soother            Animal
Bird Control             Animal
Fish Control             Animal
Hybrid Control           Animal
Mammal Control           Animal
Master                   Animal
Repel Bird               Animal
Repel Fish               Animal
Repel Hybrids            Animal
Repel Mammal             Animal
Repel Reptile            Animal
Repel Vermin             Animal
Reptile Control          Animal
Rider                    Animal
Rider Within             Animal
Shapeshifting            Animal
Vermin Control           Animal
Alter Voice              Body Control
Ambidexterity            Body Control
Balance                  Body Control
Boost Dexterity          Body Control
Boost Health             Body Control
Boost Strength           Body Control
Cadence                  Body Control
Climbing                 Body Control
Clumsiness               Body Control
Debility                 Body Control
Frailty                  Body Control
Fumble                   Body Control
Grace                    Body Control
Hair Growth              Body Control
Haircut                  Body Control
Hinder                   Body Control
Itch                     Body Control
Might                    Body Control
Nauseate                 Body Control
Pain                     Body Control
Perfume                  Body Control
Reflexes                 Body Control
Retch                    Body Control
Rooted Feet              Body Control
Roundabout               Body Control
Spasm                    Body Control
Stop Spasm               Body Control
Strike Blind             Body Control
Strike Deaf              Body Control
Strike Dumb              Body Control
Stun                     Body Control
Tanglefoot               Body Control
Tickle                   Body Control
Touch                    Body Control
Vigor                    Body Control
Borrow Language          Communication & Empathy
Borrow Skill             Communication & Empathy
Control Person           Communication & Empathy
Dispel Possession        Communication & Empathy
Dream Projection         Communication & Empathy
Dream Sending            Communication & Empathy
Dream Viewing            Communication & Empathy
Gift of Letters          Communication & Empathy
Gift of Tongues          Communication & Empathy
Hide Emotion             Communication & Empathy
Hide Thoughts            Communication & Empathy
Insignificance           Communication & Empathy
Lend Language            Communication & Empathy
Lend Skill               Communication & Empathy
Mind-Reading             Communication & Empathy
Mind-Search              Communication & Empathy
Mind-Sending             Communication & Empathy
Persuasion               Communication & Empathy
Presence                 Communication & Empathy
Retrogression            Communication & Empathy
Sense Emotion            Communication & Empathy
Sense Foes               Communication & Empathy
Sense Life               Communication & Empathy
Soul Rider               Communication & Empathy
Telepathy                Communication & Empathy
Truthsayer               Communication & Empathy
Vexation                 Communication & Empathy
Earth Vision             Earth
Essential Earth          Earth
Predict Earth Movement   Earth
Seek Earth               Earth
Seek Pass                Earth
Shape Earth              Earth
Walk Through Earth       Earth
Cold                     Fire
Create Fire              Fire
Essential Flame          Fire
Extinguish Fire          Fire
Fast Fire                Fire
Fireproof                Fire
Flame Jet                Fire
Heat                     Fire
Ignite Fire              Fire
Phantom Flame            Fire
Resist Cold              Fire
Resist Fire              Fire
Seek Fire                Fire
Shape Fire               Fire
Slow Fire                Fire
Smoke                    Fire
Warmth                   Fire
Cook                     Food
Create Food              Food
Decay                    Food
Distill                  Food
Essential Food           Food
Mature                   Food
Poison Food              Food
Prepare Game             Food
Preserve Food            Food
Purify Food              Food
Season                   Food
Seek Food                Food
Test Food                Food
Water to Wine            Food
Beacon                   Gate
Create Door              Gate
Trace Teleport           Gate
Awaken                   Healing
Body-Reading             Healing
Lend Vitality            Healing
Minor Healing            Healing
Recover Energy           Healing
Relieve Madness          Healing
Relieve Sickness         Healing
Remove Contagion         Healing
Resist Disease           Healing
Resist Poison            Healing
Restoration              Healing
Restore Hearing          Healing
Restore Memory           Healing
Restore Sight            Healing
Restore Speech           Healing
Share Energy             Healing
Share Vitality           Healing
Stop Bleeding            Healing
Suspended Animation      Healing
Complex Illusion         Illusion & Creation
Illusion Disguise        Illusion & Creation
Illusion Shell           Illusion & Creation
Independence             Illusion & Creation
Initiative               Illusion & Creation
Inscribe                 Illusion & Creation
Know Illusion            Illusion & Creation
Simple Illusion          Illusion & Creation
Alarm                    Knowledge
Glass Wall               Knowledge
Identify Spell           Knowledge
Memorize                 Knowledge
Tell Position            Knowledge
Tell Time                Knowledge
Test Load                Knowledge
CORRECTION: In trying to build a Mageborn 0 Mid-wife character with GURPS CHARACTER ASSISTANT, I spotted an error that I made using the GURPS SPELL CHARTS document. For healing spells, it lets you either use Empathy in lieu of Magery, or it requires magery 1. The charts did not "carry down" the magery requirement for Lend Energy, which is the basis for ALL healing spells as a base requisite. Arrgh!

Last edited by hal; 01-30-2023 at 07:41 AM. Reason: error in tables
Old 01-30-2023, 06:03 AM   #138
hal

And the rest of the magery 0 spells...

Code:

Blackout                 Light & Darkness
Blur                     Light & Darkness
Bright Vision            Light & Darkness
Colors                   Light & Darkness
Continual Light          Light & Darkness
Dark Vision              Light & Darkness
Darkness                 Light & Darkness
Flash                    Light & Darkness
Gloom                    Light & Darkness
Glow                     Light & Darkness
Hawk Vision              Light & Darkness
Hide                     Light & Darkness
Infravision              Light & Darkness
Invisibility             Light & Darkness
Light                    Light & Darkness
Light Jet                Light & Darkness
Mirror                   Light & Darkness
Night Vision             Light & Darkness
Remove Reflection        Light & Darkness
Remove Shadow            Light & Darkness
See Invisible            Light & Darkness
Shape Darkness           Light & Darkness
Shape Light              Light & Darkness
Small Vision             Light & Darkness
Wall of Light            Light & Darkness
Clean                    Making & Breaking
Copy                     Making & Breaking
Dye                      Making & Breaking
Fasten                   Making & Breaking
Find Weakness            Making & Breaking
Inspired Creation        Making & Breaking
Knot                     Making & Breaking
Mapmaker                 Making & Breaking
Rejoin                   Making & Breaking
Restore                  Making & Breaking
Soilproof                Making & Breaking
Stiffen                  Making & Breaking
Transparency             Making & Breaking
Weaken                   Making & Breaking
Alertness                Mind Control
Avoid                    Mind Control
Berserker                Mind Control
Boost Intelligence       Mind Control
Bravery                  Mind Control
Compel Lie               Mind Control
Daze                     Mind Control
Disorient                Mind Control
Drunkenness              Mind Control
Dull [Sense]             Mind Control
Dull Hearing             Mind Control
Dull Taste and Smell     Mind Control
Dull Vision              Mind Control
Dullness                 Mind Control
Emotion Control          Mind Control
Encrypt                  Mind Control
Fascinate                Mind Control
Fear                     Mind Control
Foolishness              Mind Control
Keen [Sense]             Mind Control
Keen Hearing             Mind Control
Keen Taste and Smell     Mind Control
Keen Vision              Mind Control
Loyalty                  Mind Control
Lure                     Mind Control
Madness                  Mind Control
Mass Daze                Mind Control
Mass Sleep               Mind Control
Mental Stun              Mind Control
Panic                    Mind Control
Peaceful Sleep           Mind Control
Rear Vision              Mind Control
Sickness                 Mind Control
Sleep                    Mind Control
Terror                   Mind Control
Will Lock                Mind Control
Wisdom                   Mind Control
Blink                    Movement
Blink Other              Movement
Cloud-Walking            Movement
Freedom                  Movement
Glue                     Movement
Grease                   Movement
Haste                    Movement
Animate Shadow           Necromancy
Skull-Spirit             Necromancy
Steal Energy             Necromancy
Steal Vitality           Necromancy
Animate Plant            Plant
Bless Plants             Plant
Blight                   Plant
Blossom                  Plant
Conceal                  Plant
Essential Wood           Plant
False Tracks             Plant
Forest Warning           Plant
Heal Plant               Plant
Hide Path                Plant
Identify Plant           Plant
Plant Control            Plant
Plant Growth             Plant
Plant Sense              Plant
Plant Vision             Plant
Pollen Cloud             Plant
Seek Plant               Plant
Shape Plant              Plant
Tangle Growth            Plant
Walk Through Plants      Plant
Walk Through Wood        Plant
Wither Plant             Plant
Atmosphere Dome          Protection and Warning
Detect Poison            Protection and Warning
Nightingale              Protection and Warning
Reflect Gaze             Protection and Warning
Resist Pressure          Protection and Warning
Sense Danger             Protection and Warning
Turn Blade               Protection and Warning
Watchdog                 Protection and Warning
Weather Dome             Protection and Warning
Garble                   Sound
Great Voice              Sound
Hush                     Sound
Imitate Voice            Sound
Mage-Stealth             Sound
Noise                    Sound
Resist Sound             Sound
Silence                  Sound
Silver Tongue            Sound
Sound                    Sound
Sound Jet                Sound
Sound Vision             Sound
Thunderclap              Sound
Voices                   Sound
Wall of Silence          Sound
Create Fuel              Technological
Essential Fuel           Technological
Identify Metal           Technological
Identify Plastic         Technological
Irradiate                Technological
Magnetic Vision          Technological
Preserve Fuel            Technological
Purify Fuel              Technological
Radiation Jet            Technological
Radio Hearing            Technological
Resist Radiation         Technological
Reveal Function          Technological
See Radiation            Technological
Seek Fuel                Technological
Seek Machine             Technological
Seek Plastic             Technological
Seek Power               Technological
Seek Radiation           Technological
Spectrum Vision          Technological
Test Fuel                Technological
Body of Water            Water
Boil Water               Water
Breathe Water            Water
Condense Steam           Water
Coolness                 Water
Create Ice               Water
Create Spring            Water
Create Steam             Water
Create Water             Water
Dehydrate                Water
Destroy Water            Water
Dry Spring               Water
Essential Water          Water
Foul Water               Water
Freeze                   Water
Frostbite                Water
Geyser                   Water
Ice Dagger               Water
Ice Slick                Water
Ice Sphere               Water
Icy Missiles             Water
Icy Weapon               Water
Melt Ice                 Water
Purify Water             Water
Resist Water             Water
Seek Coastline           Water
Seek Water               Water
Shape Water              Water
Snow Jet                 Water
Snow Shoes               Water
Steam Jet                Water
Walk on Water            Water
Water Jet                Water
Water Vision             Water
Whirlpool                Water
Clouds                   Weather
Cool                     Weather
Current                  Weather
Fog                      Weather
Frost                    Weather
Hail                     Weather
Predict Weather          Weather
Rain                     Weather
Resist Lightning         Weather
Shocking Touch           Weather
Snow                     Weather
Spark Cloud              Weather
Storm                    Weather
Tide                     Weather
Warm                     Weather
Waves                    Weather
Wind                     Weather

Old 01-30-2023, 06:09 AM   #139
hal

When you look at this spells, just remember, an average IQ 10 magery 0 mageborn will have a skill of 8 with only 1 character point in the spells in question. In order for the mageborn to reach a skill of 12 with any given spell that is Not Mental Very Hard, will be 12 character points.

As for the Illusion College spells? In order to study an illusion spell, the mageborn has to have an IQ of 11+ in addition to Magery 0. There are a few other oddball prerequisites like that for spells, so look at those spells carefully when you consider whether or not you'd want your village mage with an IQ of 9 and DX of 9 to study spells.

Old 01-30-2023, 07:36 AM   #140
hal

What follows is a more or less standard Harn World manor from the Kingdom of Kaldor's stats, but built using "historical census" values rather than what is given from HARN MANOR.

Code:
Family    Tenant                 HD  Skill    Serf       Free     Labor      Rent      Rent    Notes
ID        Occupation            Size          Acres      Acres     Days      Kind      Fees
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
       1  Priest                  6   11         0        30         0         0         0     2510
       2  Salter                  4   11         0        25         0        60        31     120
       3  1/2 Villien             4   14        15         0        60        60        21     0
       4  1/4 Villien             6   14         8         0        32        60        14     0
       5  Cottar                  2   10         4         0        16        60        10     0
       6  Villien                 4   12        30         0       120        60        36     0
       7  Cottar                  2   11         2         0         8        60         8     0
       8  1/2 Villien             5   11        12         0        48        60        18     0
       9  1/4 Villien             2   11         8         0        32        60        14     0
      10  Yeoman(LH)              6   14         0        61         0        60        67     0
      11  Miller                  6    9         0        20         0        60        26     240
      12  Villien                 5   13        33         0       132        60        39     0
      13  1/4 Villien             5   11         5         0         0        60        11     0
      14  Small Farmer           10   12         0         1         0        66         7     0
      15  Villien                 6   10        38         0       152        60        44     0
      16  1/2 Villien             3   12        11         0         0        60        17     0
      17  Cottar                  8   11         1         0         4        60         7     0
      18  Small Farmer            3   11         0         2         0        72         8     0
      19  Cottar                  3   13         2         0         8        60         8     0
      20  1/2 Virgate Farmer      5   12         0        14         0       144        20     0
      21  Cottar                  2   11         4         0        16        60        10     0
      22  1/2 Villien             2   11        20         0        80        60        26     0
      23  1/2 Villien             2   12        16         0        64        60        22     0
      24  Cottar                  4   11         2         0         8        60         8     0
      25  Yeoman(MF)              2   14         0        28         0        60        34     0
      26  1/2 Villien             6    9        18         0        72        60        24     0
      27  Yeoman(LF)              2   12         0        18         0        60        24     0
      28  Villien                 8   14        29         0       116        60        35     0
      29  Metalsmith              3   10         0        30         0        60        36     144
      30  1/2 Villien             6   11        12         0        48        60        18     0
      31  1/2 Villien             2    9        16         0        64        60        22     0
      32  1/2 Villien             9    9        20         0        80        60        26     0
      33  1/4 Villien             2   10         9         0        36        60        15     0
      34  Cottar                  1   10         2         0         8        60         8     0
      35  Villien                 7    9        21         0        84        60        27     0
      36  1/4 Virgate Farmer      4   10         0         9         0       114        15     0
      37  Villien                 8   12        29         0       116        60        35     0
      38  Villien                13   14        39         0       156        60        45     0
                                                                     0                         

TOTALS                        178            406       238      1560      2376       836     3014
Randomly generating the mageborn for this village with a population of 178, I end up with:

Code:
Name		 ST	 DX	 IQ	 HT	Magery	Social	Gender	  Age	  Death	Skill pts
Celine Jolley	  8	 12	 10	  8	  0	Serf	Female	 32.95	 52.497	43
Gwiawn Metson	 10	 11	 10	  8	  0	Serf	Male	 28.108	 64.997	34
Masson Karton	  9	 10	  9	  9	  0	Serf	Male	  9.856	 70.296	 0
The mageborn for this village named Lorik, are all members of the Serf families, with one person named Celine, age 32, likely being a mother and wife in addition to being a mage. I'm going to select family #8 to represent the family she's a part of. Looking more closely at the FAMILY TREE document I have, I will generate her husband's stats along with her children. Family Trees tells me that her husband will be 2d6-4 years older than her, and if I roll any 6's, to roll that die again and add 6 to the roll. Thus, had I rolled a 6 and a 2, I'd roll another time - and with a 3, I'd age her husband by adding 6+3+2 or 11 years. As luck would have it however, I rolled an actual 2 and a 1. 3-4 is -1, so her husband is aged 31. Next, I determine the year she had her firstborn. Rolling 2d6+16 (using the same mechanic of rerolling any 6's and adding 6) I got a 7, making her 21 when she had her first child. Next, I roll 2d6 and take the lower of the two values. that is how long before the next child is born. So we get a 2 and a 3, making it 2 years later, she gave birth to the next child. Rolling a 6 and 6, her second child will be born 6 years later. Age 21 for first child, age 23 for second, and 29 for third child. The next child will be born 2 years later.

So, now we roll for the fates of the children (ie, when they're expected to have died). Rolling a 367 for the first child, we find that the lifespan for her firstborn was 2 years. For her second child, the lifespan roll was 282, which results in her child dying before it was even a year old. Next child, rolled a 795. Fate is kinder to her third kid, and it will live to the ripe old age of 61. Her fourth born child, we roll a 546, whose child is fated to die at a young age of 21. Since she's 32, we will roll for one more child and rolling a 3 and a 2, she will give birth at the age of 33. I'm going to rule that she is currently with child and is at the present time, 2 months along.

Now, that family is supposed to have five members, and there is only her, her husband, and two living children. In my mind's eye, I've decided that that household has the husband's mother living there as well.

Now for the Mom herself. She's going to be a mageborn, the question becomes one of what she will become. Being fairly normal with an IQ of 10, she will be a typical mageborn. So, let's think about what this village needs, and only has 2 adult mageborn in the mix - both of whom are at the service of their Lord. Her Family owes 48 mandays of labor per year, and her Lord COULD possibly demand that the labor be in mageborn related work, but frankly, the lord needs all the labor he can get to handle his fields and his cattle needs. I'm toying with the idea that as a result of losing her first two children, she will become a mid-wife/wise woman. So what will a wise woman know? Herbalism, and possibly herb based alchemy. The spells she does know would be related towards healing. Chances are, none of the skills she has will really be near professional level (Skill 12) because she's busy doing a lot of things for her family. Will continue on this further...