Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #31
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Unintentional slam suicide

I can't remember which page (i think around 430) but I'm pretty sure you can't take more than 2x damage of the other recipient.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #32
alimantando

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
I can't remember which page (i think around 430) but I'm pretty sure you can't take more than 2x damage of the other recipient.
I cant find it, but on B431 are the rule for Immovable Objects.
It seam reasonable to me and even kind of RAW to use that rules as upper bound for collision damage.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #33
Maz

When you slam someone then they use their HP because they resist the slam. They push back. That is also the reason you might be knocked back yourself if you lose the damage-roll.

So of course if you try to slam a stone giant and he pushed back you are going to die.

If slamming someone completely unaware of you, it might be fair to only deal "your damage to both.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #34
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I thought it was more important to try and point out that crashing into a 100 ton parked car should be no more damaging than a 1 ton car but if you want to focus on the opposite have fun.
I agree that it should not be more damaging, but in an earlier post you said it should be more damaging.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #35
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
I agree that it should not be more damaging, but in an earlier post you said it should be more damaging.
A statement by me to that effect is not in your link. I do not know how you arrive at the conclusion that I was saying what you claim.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #36
Ts_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
A statement by me to that effect is not in your link. I do not know how you arrive at the conclusion that I was saying what you claim.
I do know how he arrives at that conclusion. Somebody asks "Why should it do less damage?" und you answer with "Because something?" (including the ambiguous question mark). That "something" rather supports Langy's position, so maybe it's just a mistake in the way you phrased it.

Ts
Ts_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #37
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts_ View Post
I do know how he arrives at that conclusion. Somebody asks "Why should it do less damage?" und you answer with "Because something?" (including the ambiguous question mark). That "something" rather supports Langy's position, so maybe it's just a mistake in the way you phrased it.

Ts
I believe I have been misunderstood. It certainly wasn't what I was trying to say.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #38
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silhouette View Post
Sorry, I just cant understand it, no matter how I try:

1) If I run and collide with something super-hard and absolutely-immovable, like a stone wall, I'll hurt myself by 2*hp*velocity/100 dices of damage. Something like 2*10*5/100 = 1d. B431.

2) If I collide with elephant's butt, I'll hurt myself by [HIS HP]*velocity/100 dices of damage, like 50*5/100 = 2.5d. B371.

3) If I collide with sleeping Giant Stone Armadillo, I'll hurt myself by [HIS HP]*velocity/100 dices of damage, like 400*5/100 = 20d, will definitely die, and my dead body will bounce 9 yards back. B371.

So, three questions:
1) Am I missing something very important?
2) Is it possible to make slam/collision rules more... emm... merciful, without praying to my GM? (He tends to resolve everything using RAW rules).
3) Is slamming someone much-bigger-than-you is always a suicide, or it is possible to make a sumo-wrestler in fantasy universe (where there are lots of HP 30+ monsters)?

I'm writing this post because I'm trying to save my character, who foolishly collided with a big monster's back. I thought it won't hurt more that stone wall. Looks like I was wrong.
Ask the GM to cap it at 2x your HP x velocity/100, because that's what happens when you collide with the Earth, which has far more HP than any of the other examples, and it makes no sense for you to get hurt less the less the object rammed into yields to the impact.

Last edited by vitruvian; 02-12-2012 at 01:05 PM.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #39
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_ns View Post
I just did a complete search of every PDF I have (and that's most of them, 4E) and find that there doesn't appear to be any alternative rules listed. So I'd have to suggest the same thing. Plead semantics, and to his sense of being reasonable.

You might ask if any of the creature's HP were granted because of something other than sheer size - as those HP ought not to be included in total HP when calculating slam damage (that was mentioned in a sidebar in Martial Arts)
Supers does contain the suggestion that if the larger object has at least 12x the smaller object's HP, it can be treated as immovable for this purpose. Of course, that still gives the odd result of the damage going up and up as the object slammed approaches 12x HP, and then suddenly getting cut by 5/6, suggesting that the 2x HP cap would still make more sense.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #40
Litvyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silhouette View Post
That was a combat situation.
He was standing near the cliff's edge (conveniently and invitingly close, I should say), and I was hoping to throw him down.
I ran 5 hexes and slammed with "brawling" skill. He was busy with another character, so he didn't even noticed my move, and we just collided.
Battle map:

_______edge_____________________________
[Allan] x x )>-8[Monster]--x x x x
.x x x x x x x x x x x x x ^ x x x x
x x x x x x x x x x x x x x \\ x x x x
.x x x x x x x x x x x x x x \\ x x x
x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x \\ x x x
.x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x [me] x

Obviously, trying to move something that huge was my mistake, but I didn't expected that GM will roll like a bucket of dices in response, and ask me to roll HT or die from collision.

BTW, I don't know how much HP that thing had. We should've probably just run away, but...

Anyway, I just can't understand how collision with someone can hurt me more than collision with an immovable object.

Are you telling me that if ordinary BM5 HP10 character will run into a stone wall, he will die and bounce back 2-14 yards?
I'm not your GM, but based on your description and my reading of the RAW regarding collisions, I would have ruled the damage you received as follows: He wasn't moving, so his velocity was 0... HPx0/100 = 0 which is less than 0.25 making the damage taken by your character 1d-3. However, if the monster was so large as to count as an immovable object, you would have received the same amount of damage that you dealt.
Litvyak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slam