Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-21-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
Reikon

Default Slam with something insubstantial

I participate in game, where every hero can hit insubstantial enemies.

We are on a strict points limit, so many advantages are limited to -80% of their original cost. For example, most of innate attacks would probably cost 1 point per dice or even less (for small piercing damage), and would be extremely specific.

My problem is that my primary attack is a slam, and I don't know how to add "Affects Insubstantial" to it. It's not a problem to increase slam damage with melee innate attacks with "Follow-Up: natural slam +0%, Affects Insubstantial +20%", but it will work only if I manage to deliver at least 1 point of natural slam damage.

The easy solution is, probably, some kind of Neutralize aura with "One Ability (Insubstantiality) -80%", but no matter how I try, I can never reduce it cost below 10 points (because base cost is 50 points). For that cost, others can deliver up to 16 dices of extremely specific ranged pi- damage (or 10 extremely-specific burning, etc.).

The other drawback is that every random ghost around me would get "Affects Substantial" for free (or, more precisely, "At last, we can kill one of that annoying substantial mortals, kicking his ass while he can't see us!"), unless I make my aura switchable, and somehow manage to instantly select, when it should work, and when it shouldn't...

Is there any other way? It doesn't really matter, how many enchantments and limitations will it cost, if it's "-80%" version would cost less than 10 points.

PS: sorry for my poor english.

upd: And, by the way, "neutralize" and "affliction"-based solutions offer an addition resistance roll (quick contest of Will, for example), which is never applies to "Affects Insubstantial" innate attacks. That's a problem too...

Last edited by Reikon; 10-21-2010 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Completely forgot...
Reikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
Diomedes

Default Re: Slam with something insubstantial

Probably the simplest solution is to stat up the dice of your full-speed slam as a crushing Innate Attack, calculate how many points Affects Insubstantial would cost as an enhancement to that, and put that on your character sheet as a freestanding advantage.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
Reikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes View Post
Probably the simplest solution is to stat up the dice of your full-speed slam as a crushing Innate Attack, calculate how many points Affects Insubstantial would cost as an enhancement to that, and put that on your character sheet as a freestanding advantage.
Hmm... That's not a simple task, because slam damage depends on relative speed, and ghosts can be really, really fast. My own speed doesn't make much difference. Also, it will increase basic attribute costs, if my basic move or HT will rise (because I'll have to increase advantage cost). "Melee Attack (ST-Based)"-enchanted innate attacks usually has no such side-effects.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #4
lexington

Perk (Narrow Imbument: Can use Ghostly Weapon for Slams)

Ghostly Weapon is a DX/Hard (or IQ/Hard if you prefer) skill that costs 1FP to use.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #5
Reikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
Perk (Narrow Imbument: Can use Ghostly Weapon for Slams)

Ghostly Weapon is a DX/Hard (or IQ/Hard if you prefer) skill that costs 1FP to use.
Nice solution, but it's unusable with "Sumo Wrestling", and if i'll take both of them on equal level, it will cost much more than "Neutralize -80%". Sumo for slams rocks at DX+2 or more (+2 slam damage per die, 8 points), DX/Hard on the same level would be 12 points without damage bonus.
By the way, what book is that "Ghostly Weapon" from? o_O
Old 10-21-2010, 06:28 PM   #6
Extrarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reikon View Post
[...]
By the way, what book is that "Ghostly Weapon" from? o_O
GURPS Power-Ups 1: Imbuements
Extrarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:45 PM   #7
Reikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extrarius View Post
Woops. My GM says that imbuement will actually work with sumo bonuses. Looks like you were right. Thanks a lot!

Tags
ghostly weapon, imbuements, insubstantiality, slam