Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 08-01-2021, 12:23 PM   #1
Michael Cule

Default DFRPG: VTT for I Smell A Rat

I assume (because I cannot find them) that there are no VTT versions of the maps for I SMELL A RAT from the DRRPG core set.

There are versions of the maps in the PDF of AGAINST THE RAT MEN but I was hoping I'd be able to use the full colour version.

If this is regarded as illegal contraband by the publishers might I recommend they make versions available for a small fee? I would hate to have to do all the hard work of adapting the maps myself.

(In fact I hate doing any hard work.)
Michael Cule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 09:17 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: DFRPG: VTT for I Smell A Rat

What defines a VTT version for you? Having the map key on a separate layer and wall textures set up so secret doors aren't obvious? I don't believe GURPS has any official relationship with any VTT (there's an unofficial Foundry plugin) so I doubt it.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:22 AM   #3
corwyn

Legally, would we be able to take a map from Rat (or anything else, really) and convert them to something usable by a VTT and run them in an online game?

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 12:52 AM   #4
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
Legally, would we be able to take a map from Rat (or anything else, really) and convert them to something usable by a VTT and run them in an online game?
In terms of online policy, the closest I can find is
Quote:
Run a game of GURPS, Toon or In Nomine on an online chat system, with a Game Master?

Yes; as we see it now, that's really no different from running a game for your friends in your living room. Anything more than a character creation game aid is a problem, because at that point it's not just like a game in your living room; it's more like a "computer game."
which is not... directly on point. I suspect it's fine, but it would be nice if SJGs online policy was updated for this millennium.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:31 AM   #5
Michael Cule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
What defines a VTT version for you? Having the map key on a separate layer and wall textures set up so secret doors aren't obvious? I don't believe GURPS has any official relationship with any VTT (there's an unofficial Foundry plugin) so I doubt it.
Simply the original map in a format I can import into a virtual table top program. Digital rather than paper. Such as is actually provided for the Nordland supplements.

I'm happy to do the task of adapting it to the particular program and putting in hidden doors and what have you. There is no unified format that could put all that into Roll20, Foundry or whatever.

Just the maps in digital format.
Old 08-02-2021, 03:04 AM   #6
Celjabba

The maps in PDF format are part of the PDF version of DFRPG.
two separate files with high resolution maps, full and tiled.

But I don't think you can purchase them separately.

Last edited by Celjabba; 08-02-2021 at 04:11 AM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:46 AM   #7
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cule View Post
Simply the original map in a format I can import into a virtual table top program. Digital rather than paper. Such as is actually provided for the Nordland supplements.
The PDF version includes the maps as a separate file 'DFRPG_Maps', from which images can be extracted normally. Not sure what options you have for the paper version.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:17 PM   #8
Michael Cule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
The maps in PDF format are part of the PDF version of DFRPG.
two separate files with high resolution maps, full and tiled.

But I don't think you can purchase them separately.
I suspect that may be what I need but no, I'm not going to pay the full price of the pdf just for that.

Hmm, I may have to go with scanning the map on p20 and hoping I can blow up the image enough to be useful in creating a map via some cunning piece of software.

Thanks for your help!

(And yes, the option of just buying the map file would be useful.)
Old 08-02-2021, 12:45 PM   #9
Anthony

The maps are simple enough that you might be better off just laying them out by hand, you're not losing a lot of pretty graphics and it would let you remove a lot of things you don't want to be obvious.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:14 AM   #10
Michael Cule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The maps are simple enough that you might be better off just laying them out by hand, you're not losing a lot of pretty graphics and it would let you remove a lot of things you don't want to be obvious.
Well, I had wanted to avoid that because as I said, I'm lazy.

But things turn out more complex than I thought.

I managed to scan the map on p20 of the DUNGEON booklet into a PDF.

I then managed to get it into a PNG format... And I just now wonder if I could have done that straight from the scanner... never mind.

And I managed to import that as a background layer into the FOUNDRY VTT software and started to align the grid...

And that's the point at which the whole project ground to a halt because I couldn't figure out how to get the hex grid on the original map to fit to the hex grid produced by the VTT. Yes, there are means to do this but I suspect that the hex grid on the booklet map is a lot looser and more forgiving than the one the computer likes. When it was fitted correctly in one bit the map it drifted in others.

I note that the maps for the NORDLAND modules which are specifically intended for VTT have a single sample hex on them (as well as a single reference DnD scale 5 foot square) which you can use for alignment and scale and leave the rest of the map with no hex or square overlay. So you probably can't just use the DF maps as they currently are.

Ah well, more work. I'm retired. I shouldn't have to do grunt work. I do though. The fact that the dungeon drawing software I've got doesn't work in a hex grid naturally but prefers squares is a bit annoying. Ah, well. Lemme see, ratio of DnD squares to GURPS hexes....

Tags
vtt dfrpg