Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2021, 10:47 AM   #91
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Colonel: "Not on the job testing: I want to see how well you shoot, and how good your eye for trouble is."
"I see. Rifles or pistols? Better with a rifle than a pistol, if that effects which."
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:16 AM   #92
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
"I see. Rifles or pistols? Better with a rifle than a pistol, if that effects which."
"Both, of course. Its not a proper test if we only do one! any heavy weaponry I should add? Light machine gun, perhaps?"
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:03 AM   #93
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
"Both, of course. Its not a proper test if we only do one! any heavy weaponry I should add? Light machine gun, perhaps?"
"But of course; just wanted to know which first.". I hesitate a little about heavy weapons, "Well, I wasn't trained with LMGs but I have good feel for these."

Assuming nothing else of note happens for the rest of the day. I'll take 5 rolls with each weapon, starting with Rifles first arbitrarily. Add modifiers as needed.

Quote:
[30] 21-07-30 14:53:10 BST
Guns (Rifle)
3d6 <= 16
1: 3 + 4 + 4 = 11 ... success
2: 6 + 5 + 2 = 13 ... success
3: 1 + 4 + 5 = 10 ... success
4: 2 + 6 + 1 = 9 ... success
5: 5 + 6 + 5 = 16 ... success
[31] 21-07-30 14:54:30 BST
Guns (Pistol)
3d6 <= 15
1: 4 + 1 + 3 = 8 ... success
2: 2 + 3 + 5 = 10 ... success
3: 4 + 1 + 6 = 11 ... success
4: 1 + 6 + 1 = 8 ... success
5: 2 + 5 + 4 = 11 ... success
[32] 21-07-30 14:55:01 BST
Guns (LMG)
3d6 <= 14
1: 4 + 1 + 6 = 11 ... success
2: 2 + 6 + 2 = 10 ... success
3: 6 + 1 + 1 = 8 ... success
4: 4 + 2 + 5 = 11 ... success
5: 5 + 5 + 5 = 15 ... failure
After the shooting, I take the Colonel's opinion on how I did. "I think I was a bit unlucky with the rifle. So, hand-to-hand next, or are you expecting no one to get in melee range?"
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 01:13 PM   #94
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Well, Halcyone will need a way to provoke the sympathizers into saying something that could be considered suspicious. Or some other way to determine their true sympathies.

The officers is mildly impressed with the shooting

"Yes, Hand to Hand... and then we'll have you observe a crowd and analyze it for potential threats to a high profile individual."

The Hand to hand challenge is against a young soldier who seems surprised at the request, but happily brings up his guard against Halcyone. "We're pulling our punches, yes?"
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 11:44 PM   #95
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Well, Halcyone will need a way to provoke the sympathizers into saying something that could be considered suspicious. Or some other way to determine their true sympathies.
I'll try to befriend them, while dropping carefully researched and crafted hints that would indicate I'm receptive to more pro-Imperial thinking. The first Memetics! roll is an influence roll to befriend (as it covers Diplomacy and Fast Talk, and SF (Paramilitary) seemed like a bad fit.), the second is to craft the hints. I'll add Acting to deliver the hints and Research to make sure the hints are accurate to pro-Imperial thinking.

Quote:
[33] 21-08-01 04:53:33 BST
Research
3d6 <= 15 : 4 + 2 + 5 = 11 ... success
[34] 21-08-01 04:53:39 BST
Memetics!
3d6 <= 15 : 6 + 3 + 4 = 13 ... success
[35] 21-08-01 04:53:45 BST
Memetics!
3d6 <= 15 : 4 + 4 + 4 = 12 ... success
[36] 21-08-01 04:53:49 BST
Acting
3d6 <= 15 : 6 + 5 + 1 = 12 ... success
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The Hand to hand challenge is against a young soldier who seems surprised at the request, but happily brings up his guard against Halcyone. "We're pulling our punches, yes?"
I briefly consider that I'm probably at least twice as strong as him, and agree.

How in depth are we going here? Full combat? Regardless:
-> I'll leave my extra arms tied behind my legs (which for better or worse means only two attacks/turn)
-> I'll begin with a feint and a grapple to the torso

Quote:
[37] 21-08-01 05:42:06 BST
Feint (Judo)
3d6 <= 17
5 + 2 + 2 = 9 ... success
[38] 21-08-01 05:42:26 BST
Grapple (Judo)
3d6 <= 16
6 + 4 + 1 = 11 ... success
Assuming this worked, next I'll go for a takedown and a pin.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 10:14 AM   #96
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Vassarious will try and be patient and give the diplomatic approach a fair shake and accept their niceties while he awaits an audience with someone who can provide real intelligence on the situation in the empire and with its Emperor.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:08 AM   #97
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I'll try to befriend them, while dropping carefully researched and crafted hints that would indicate I'm receptive to more pro-Imperial thinking. The first Memetics! roll is an influence roll to befriend (as it covers Diplomacy and Fast Talk, and SF (Paramilitary) seemed like a bad fit.), the second is to craft the hints. I'll add Acting to deliver the hints and Research to make sure the hints are accurate to pro-Imperial thinking.
It takes most of the day, but Halcyone is able to provoke two of the five into making subtley pro-imperial statements. The first one doesn't notice they've done so. The second one has a moment of panic, then says "But of course, I chose to side with the rebellion because my Father was thrown out of his house when he could pay the increased taxes." Halcyone isn't sure she should buy it.


Quote:
I briefly consider that I'm probably at least twice as strong as him, and agree.

How in depth are we going here? Full combat? Regardless:
-> I'll leave my extra arms tied behind my legs (which for better or worse means only two attacks/turn)
-> I'll begin with a feint and a grapple to the torso

Assuming this worked, next I'll go for a takedown and a pin.
Lets do this quick... rolled for his first break-free and an attempt to strike back. Neither succeed. The takedown and pin go quickly, and after a second or two the soldier is immobilized. There is a touch of terror in his eyes at her raw strength.


The colonel is shocked at how quickly it all ended. "Ok... you can handle yourself in hand to hand combat..."


He takes her to a dusty market square where a bunch of people, mostly civilians, are listening to a live speaker give a lively speech. Its being recorded. takes her to one corner, gives her a chair to stand on, and asks her to evaluate the crowd for threats.


Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Vassarious will try and be patient and give the diplomatic approach a fair shake and accept their niceties while he awaits an audience with someone who can provide real intelligence on the situation in the empire and with its Emperor.
Vassarious is led on the public tour, seeing the sights of the temple complex. There are a lot of tombs, and a lot of other buildings. Vassarious is led to outside the emperor's tomb, which appears quiet, peaceful, and remarkably clean for a thousand year old building.



Vassarious is fed food, some of which is exquisite, and some of which can only have survived to this advanced society through nostalgia and historical significance. After the tour is over, chamberlain Gadialtus lead him back to the "Chamber of the Otherworld".



"It seems they are still discussing what to do. How can I help you? You may need to stay overnight... As you can see, we have already added a couch... actually two. One is made for our hawk troops, who have wings... and one is a more stately place to rest."


"I have received a request for you though: The Imperial Governor wishes to know if you have the power to wake the emperor"
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:23 AM   #98
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
"It seems they are still discussing what to do. How can I help you? You may need to stay overnight... As you can see, we have already added a couch... actually two. One is made for our hawk troops, who have wings... and one is a more stately place to rest."


"I have received a request for you though: The Imperial Governor wishes to know if you have the power to wake the emperor"
"You need not make accommodations for my wings, I will be would be quite comfortable with the latter arrangement."

"I would welcome the opportunity to make the attempt to wake your sovereign. It is his lack of appearance at this tumultuous time that has drawn our attention and brought me to you to offer what assistance I can."
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:54 AM   #99
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
It takes most of the day, but Halcyone is able to provoke two of the five into making subtley pro-imperial statements. The first one doesn't notice they've done so. The second one has a moment of panic, then says "But of course, I chose to side with the rebellion because my Father was thrown out of his house when he could pay the increased taxes." Halcyone isn't sure she should buy it.
I'll mention to the Colonel the two possible sympathizers who were induced into saying subtly pro-imperial things. I'll try to sell the Colonel on this in case he finds my methods a bit dubious.
Quote:
[51] 21-08-03 14:50:58 BST
Memetics!
3d6 <= 15
1 + 6 + 4 = 11 ... success
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
He takes her to a dusty market square where a bunch of people, mostly civilians, are listening to a live speaker give a lively speech. Its being recorded. takes her to one corner, gives her a chair to stand on, and asks her to evaluate the crowd for threats.
I'll try to use my danger sense and case the crowd.

Quote:
[52] 21-08-03 14:53:25 BST
Danger Sense
3d6 <= 16
4 + 4 + 4 = 12 ... success
[53] 21-08-03 14:53:55 BST
Observation
3d6 <= 16
6 + 5 + 2 = 13 ... success
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:07 AM   #100
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I'll mention to the Colonel the two possible sympathizers who were induced into saying subtly pro-imperial things. I'll try to sell the Colonel on this in case he finds my methods a bit dubious.

I'll try to use my danger sense and case the crowd.

The speaker is not in actual danger, so Halcyone has to make do looking for potential trouble rather than actual trouble. She finds a couple of threats, and passes them on to the colonel, along with why that threat is minimal ("That man could be hiding a weapon, and he's positioned well for a shot... but you can see a small boy hovering around him)



The Colonel is quite impressed by the results.



"By the way, you got a promotion for the suspected spy: she turned in the documents to us. And I can see the problematic sympathies you're talking about. Well done. I've made some notes about your performance tonight. I suspect someone will be very happy to have you on security duty."


"One more personal question, if I may: Do you think the emperor will side with us or with them?"



Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
"You need not make accommodations for my wings, I will be would be quite comfortable with the latter arrangement."

"I would welcome the opportunity to make the attempt to wake your sovereign. It is his lack of appearance at this tumultuous time that has drawn our attention and brought me to you to offer what assistance I can."
Vassarious only has to wait a few hours before an escort shows up to present him to the emperor. Its quite large: 10 priests in their distinctive robes, holding various personal effects of the emperor, including clothing, a sword, and a clipboard. 10 avian soldiers, the feathers of their arm-wings dyed a striking black, their eyes eiriely human in their hawk faces. five are armed with bows. five are armed with scoped riffles. Five cat soldiers carry pairs of swords in their furry hands, while five cat soldiers carry pairs of submachine guns. 10 snake warriors are split between spears and assault riffles. The massive Bull warriors hold pole arms, grenade launchers, and what looks like a machine gun built as a riffle. Their broad chests and horns are almost big enough to make the weapons look normal. 20 human soldiers are also present, with a mixture of weapons, and a small band of musicians follows.



They march Vassarious to the tomb of Maximus, moving in precise movements, and playing a jaunty tune.



The tomb is farther back in the complex than Vassarious suspected, and a touch smaller than expected. Vassarious gets to look at the intricate maze of pillars surrounding the center, and the strangley curved arches: the key to the places magic. A stone box encases the body, carved with depictions of heroic deeds.



An 11th priest, who was walking with Vassarious, leads him up to the tomb. The soldiers post up all around her: Vassarious can tell the intent is to destroy her if she tries to hurt the emperor.


Th 11th priest turns the Vassarious: "Radiant one, we deeply need our emperor. If you can wake him, please do so."
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.