Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-28-2016, 05:05 PM   #1
Kalzazz

Default [Metatronic Generators, Magic] Fireball Musket

Inspired by one of my favorite old (old being relative) That Other Game books, d20 Arsenal by Perpetrated Press, which produced shoppable weaponized versions of That Other Game spells, I wanted to use some of that for my game

Now, 30lbs is to much for a rifle, and 3lbs to little, 15 pounds would be perfect, and with Interpolated values can do that http://www.ravensnpennies.com/2014/0...l#.Vqqr9lLXP4U

One of the unique things about GURPS magic is A - the spell needs to be charged before use, and can charge it for up to 3 rounds of charging for a bigger boom.

I am stumped on how to stat out 'can charge for 1 second and use 1 shot for 3d, 2 seconds and 2 shots for 6d, and 3 seconds and 3 shots for 9d'

Any ideas?

(I am not sure what the correct tag is for metatronic generators)
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:41 PM   #2
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: [Metatronic Generators, Magic] Fireball Musket

For a regular power, I think Variable would allow scaling of output to energy or time.
But I must say, I love the idea for a techno-magical setting.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:37 PM   #3
scc

This sort of already exists, at least for Mages, from M75: "Item; Staff or wand – the bolt is fired from the end of the item. Energy cost to create: 800; must include a ruby worth $400. Usable only by mages." Talk to your GM about the cost of a non-Mage only version. Just note that in addition to the 1-3 seconds of charging it will take another second to throw the spell. You SHOULD be able to avoid this later restriction if you have more then one action a turn, again talk to your GM
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:20 PM   #4
Kalzazz

Well, I am the DM, though I suspect will also wind up seeing use in other people in ours groups gaming, and I also just think it would be straight out fun to Metatronic Generator 'spellguns'

The boring 'just a straight up flings 9d damage downrange with no prep required' goes like so
9d burning
9 uses (the 'rule of 3 times 3' is in effect in the setting, so 9 is going to be a thing for it), Fast Reload -5%
Magical, -10%
Inaccurate -2, -10%
Increased Range, 50/25 +5%
Total -20% of 45, so 36
15 lbs (16.5, but DM fiat round to convenient number), requires 1 Magitek C cell, retails for 6k at TL 3+1 (6075, but round to convenient number)
Old 01-28-2016, 07:24 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Looks good!

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:30 PM   #6
Kalzazz

Any idea how to pull off the '1 second charge and 1 shot for 3d, 2 second charge and 2 shots for 6d, 3 second charge and 3 shots for 9d'?

I can of course fall back on my tired and trusty standby of 'make a lawndart guestimate and roll with it', but 'something which might actually be correct' is of course cooler
Old 01-28-2016, 07:34 PM   #7
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Any idea how to pull off the '1 second charge and 1 shot for 3d, 2 second charge and 2 shots for 6d, 3 second charge and 3 shots for 9d'?

I can of course fall back on my tired and trusty standby of 'make a lawndart guestimate and roll with it', but 'something which might actually be correct' is of course cooler
I'd use the Either/Or limitations from Power-Ups 8 for each one and then average the values.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:47 PM   #8
Kalzazz

I'll admit after now having gone and looked at this I have not the first whit whatsoever of a clue how to apply this to the situation at hand (the either/or limitations I understand how they apply in the examples, so I could make a weapon that either consumed FP OR Ready manuevers to use, but not one that requires varying amounts of time and limited use scaling with damage)

Ill just call it -20% because well, takes extra time 1 is -10%, and you need a round to charge it in any circumstances, and then -10% for the other stuff because I have utterly no reasoning to support it whatsoever
Old 01-28-2016, 08:10 PM   #9
Kalzazz

Here is the new version, also added another power since the image amused me, and some description and explanation of how it works

Here is new version

Fireball Musket
9d burning
9 uses (the 'rule of 3 times 3' is in effect in the setting, so 9 is going to be a thing for it), Fast Reload -5%
Magical, -10%
Inaccurate -2, -10%
Increased Range, 50/25 +5%
Takes extra time 1, -10%
Complete and utter DM fiat modifier completely unsupported by fact or fiction for other stuff, -10%
Total -40% of 45, so 27
Illumination 1
15 lbs (16.5, but DM fiat round to convenient number), requires 1 Magitek C cell, retails for 5k at TL 3+1 (4894, but round to convenient number) (the illumination effect was charged as 2 points as it will be powered without draining the cell, aka self powered)

Fireball Musket
The Fireball Musket is based off of the traditional fireball spell, and is a large, heavy musket with a cover over the muzzle and with a well for the magitek cell to lock in place under the chamber. By drawing the hammer back halfway the muzzle cover is lifted and the musket begins to produce light as a bullseye lantern. By drawing the hammer all the way back and willing it the musket begins to charge. 1 round of charging costs 1 use and produces a 3d fireball and the musket begins to glow dimly, 2 rounds consumes 2 uses and its glow is quite obvious, 3 rounds and the glow is bright and angry. Fired using guns (rifle) or other appropriate skill.

As long as it is loaded and a charge remains it can be used as a lightsource.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:02 PM   #10
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post

I don't remotely comprehend metatronic whatchamacallits. But if you were designing it as an advantage, then you would simply put "takes extra time" on the extra dice.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, metatronic generators, pyramid 3/46