Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-22-2015, 07:30 PM   #1
ArchonShiva

Default [Magic] Rebuilding Great Haste prerequisites

So, we all know GURPS Magic has in need of a serious rebuild for two decades, and as I started doing it piecemeal for my current campaign, I realized my solution to Great Haste's prerequisite chain actually seemed rather sensible, and could be useful to others.

Basically:
Code:
Tell Time---Focus---Slow---Great Haste---Accelerate Time
Haste-----------------------------^
Focus
Blocking (Gate)
Accelerates the subject's mental processes at least tenfold, allowing time to think in a stressful situation. The spell ends as soon as the subject takes any action.
Duration: 1 minute.
Cost: 1.
Prerequisite: Tell Time.

I moved the upper line to the Gate college (along wth Alarm and others), which already has Accelerate Time. I now call it the Cosmology College.

I've tweaked and renamed the spells, and refocused some colleges to reduce cross-prerequisite chains, but this decreases general usability and compatibility for most campaigns, so I'me just providing the easily adaptable bits.
ArchonShiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 06:32 AM   #2
Cybren

Default Re: [Magic] Rebuilding Great Haste prerequisites

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
So, we all know GURPS Magic has in need of a serious rebuild for two decades, and as I started doing it piecemeal for my current campaign, I realized my solution to Great Haste's prerequisite chain actually seemed rather sensible, and could be useful to others.

Basically:
Code:
Tell Time---Focus---Slow---Great Haste---Accelerate Time
Haste-----------------------------^
Focus
Blocking (Gate)
Accelerates the subject's mental processes at least tenfold, allowing time to think in a stressful situation. The spell ends as soon as the subject takes any action.
Duration: 1 minute.
Cost: 1.
Prerequisite: Tell Time.

I moved the upper line to the Gate college (along wth Alarm and others), which already has Accelerate Time. I now call it the Cosmology College.

I've tweaked and renamed the spells, and refocused some colleges to reduce cross-prerequisite chains, but this decreases general usability and compatibility for most campaigns, so I'me just providing the easily adaptable bits.
I'm not sure I understand what that spell does, or why I would ever use it. And it seems odd for a blocking spell to have a duration of 1 minute
Cybren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:47 AM   #3
ArchonShiva

Default Re: [Magic] Rebuilding Great Haste prerequisites

It's roughly the last sentence from paragraph 5 of Enhanced Time Sense (p. B52), or those moments when you feel you think for half an hour and see the time on the digital clock hasn't changed yet. When it's your turn to act and the GM is reminding you that turns are one second long, pay one FP, roll dice, and get a bit more time to decide.

Much like Common Sense, I don't expect too many to want it, but I expect almost anyone who has it to use it on occasion.

The odd one minute duration is basically meaningless, as the spell will terminate as soon as you do anything. I put it there to let people think quickly during a pause of a few seconds, say, during a debate - but the spell still works if you make it an instant burst of thought.
ArchonShiva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic