Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
Fnugus

Default Where do I find guidelines for relation between ST and weight?

For large creatures/races.

Are there any official guidelines for typical relative values of SM, ST, and weight?
Old 04-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #2
lexington

Default Re: Where do I find guidelines for relation between ST and weight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnugus View Post

Are there any official guidelines for typical relative values of SM, ST, and weight?
There are semi-official ones in fantasy you can use to scale creature up to larger sizes, but they're unrealistic. I think the reason for the lack of rules is that they wouldn't be generic, different body plans imply different scaling.

GURPS: Gulliver is a good unofficial treatment of the issue.
http://www.gamesdiner.com/gulliver
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
whswhs

Quote:

It's more or less in the basic set.

Take the cube root of weight in pounds, and multiply by 2 (for living creatures): That's HP and, if they have musculature, ST.

Divide ST by 5: That's height/length in yards. You can look that up on the SM table. Height 2 yards is SM 0; each x10 height translates to +6 SM. That ST is the appropriate ST for an animal with that SM to be able to move around.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
Anthony

Realistically it's more like the 0.4 power of weight, at least for lifting ST, due to differences in design at different scales, but it's rare for that to matter much.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #6
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Realistically it's more like the 0.4 power of weight, at least for lifting ST, due to differences in design at different scales, but it's rare for that to matter much.
Yes, quite. The actual scaling is the limb length varies as around the 0.25 power of body mass. But on the scale of most GURPS creatures, the difference between third power and fourth power isn't going to have a lot of impact.

Bill Stoddard
Old 04-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
Fnugus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
There are semi-official ones in fantasy you can use to scale creature up to larger sizes, but they're unrealistic. I think the reason for the lack of rules is that they wouldn't be generic, different body plans imply different scaling.

GURPS: Gulliver is a good unofficial treatment of the issue.
http://www.gamesdiner.com/gulliver
This is no less than awesome! I already read through it and made a program to take advantage of all his ideas and notes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
It's more or less in the basic set.

Take the cube root of weight in pounds, and multiply by 2 (for living creatures): That's HP and, if they have musculature, ST.

Divide ST by 5: That's height/length in yards. You can look that up on the SM table. Height 2 yards is SM 0; each x10 height translates to +6 SM. That ST is the appropriate ST for an animal with that SM to be able to move around.

Bill Stoddard
Nice! Seems like I haven't read the Basic Set enough times yet. What page?
Old 04-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #8
whswhs

Quote:
Nice! Seems like I haven't read the Basic Set enough times yet. What page?
Well, several different ones. You need to look at the Growth advantage on p. B58, at the definition of SM in terms of longest dimension on p. B19, and at the Object Hit Points table on p. B558. I'm not sure there's an explicit statement anywhere that living entities use a 2x multiplier (unliving use 4x, and homogenous use 8x), but it's sort of implied by the overpenetration rule on p. B408.

Bill Stoddard
Old 04-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #9
Anthony

Quote:
Yes, quite. The actual scaling is the limb length varies as around the 0.25 power of body mass.
Which, since limb strength is order 1.5 in limb mass and -2.5 in limb length (assuming constant density), implies that a limb mass that is 4th order in limb length will result in strength that's order 3.5 in scale and 0.875 in mass. I don't think limb mass scales linearly with body mass, though (notably, thicker limbs have flexibility loss).
Quote:
But on the scale of most GURPS creatures, the difference between third power and fourth power isn't going to have a lot of impact.
It's noticeable on SM 2+ creatures (my 0.4 scaling bumps a 10,000 lb elephant from ST 43 to 56), but considering how much unrelated variance there is in realistic lifting ability (and damage), it probably doesn't matter much.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #10
Phoenix_Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you mean by this, because I'm not getting similar numbers to what you're posting. Like the 10,000lb elephant, scaling by the 1/3 power of its weight and doubling that gets me the proper ST43, but scaling by the 0.4 power of its weight and doubling that gets me ST80, not 56. Is there something I'm missing here?
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attributes, monster creation