Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-17-2011, 11:03 PM   #11
simulatoralive

Default Re: Odd D&D-to-GURPS translation

I built a version of that spell for my wiki ages ago: http://islandsofwar.wikispaces.com/R...List.Sanctuary.

I did it with the Mind Control approach, so perhaps not what you're looking for, though.

Islands of War is my fantasy campaign setting for GURPS. It includes Adventures.

Have trouble drawing dungeon maps? Try Inkscape and my Dungeon Template.

I'm building a video game.
simulatoralive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:19 AM   #12
Lupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolyn View Post
Sanctuary (and I had to look this up; it's been a while since I've played D&D) means that anyone who attacks you in melee combat has to make a Will save or simply not be able to attack you. In addition, you can't attack anyone without breaking the spell.

Any ideas? I don't mind if it involves advantages or spells. Thanks!
If you don't mind about the exact GURPS point costs/mechanic, you could simply port the D&D mechanic "as is", like that:

"Anyone who wants to Attack you in melee combat has to make a Will ROLL or simply not be able to attack you."
Old 01-18-2011, 09:20 AM   #13
Faolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
The DR one doesn't work since it should not prevent damage from area of effects, traps, falls, etc.

Revulsion needs a much larger range to prevent missile attacks.
The spell is only supposed to affect melee attacks.
Faolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #14
munin

This is from the 3.5 SRD:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD
Sanctuary ... Range: Touch ... Duration: 1 round/level; Saving Throw: Will negates ... Any opponent attempting to strike or otherwise directly attack the warded creature, even with a targeted spell, must attempt a Will save. If the save succeeds, the opponent can attack normally and is unaffected by that casting of the spell. If the save fails, the opponent can’t follow through with the attack, that part of its action is lost, and it can’t directly attack the warded creature for the duration of the spell. Those not attempting to attack the subject remain unaffected. This spell does not prevent the warded creature from being attacked or affected by area or effect spells. The subject cannot attack without breaking the spell but may use nonattack spells or otherwise act.
Just for fun, here's my attempt:
Sanctuary
34 points for level 1, plus 5 points for each additional level
Touch the subject and roll vs. Will -- if the subject chooses to resist, make this a Quick Contest of Wills. If you succeed (or win), the subject gains a Sanctuary Aura for seconds equal to your margin of success (or margin of victory; minimum 1 second). Anyone within the subject's Sanctuary Aura must succeed on a Will roll each turn or be unable to attack the subject for seconds equal to their margin of failure. If the subject attacks anyone, the effect ends. At level 1, the aura has a radius of 2 yards -- each additional level doubles the aura's radius.

Statistics: Affliction (Will; Advantage, Sanctuary Aura, +140% +50%/level; Based on Will, +20%; Malediction 1, +100%; Melee Attack, Reach C, -30%; Nuisance Effect, Terminated if subject attacks anyone, -5%; Reduced Duration, 1/60, -35%) [29+5/level]. The Sanctuary Aura is Affliction (Will; Area Effect, +50%/level; Aura, +80%; Based on Will, +20%; Disadvantage, Pacifism (Total Nonviolence; Subject Only) [-5], +5%; Melee Attack, Reach C, -30%; Reduced Duration, 1/60, -35%) [14+5/level].
Add some spell-like modifiers if you want. Adding Costs Fatigue, 2 FP, -10%; Magic, -10%; Requires Gestures, -10%; Requires Magic Words, -10% would reduce the point cost by 4. Also consider adding Based on IQ, +20% to make your success roll against IQ instead of Will (and the Quick Contest your IQ vs. the subject's Will).

Level 1 will protect the subject from close foes, levels 4-5 will protect them from everyone in a typical low-tech melee, level 10 will protect them from everyone in about bow range, and level 26 will protect them from everyone on the planet.

Last edited by munin; 01-18-2011 at 12:04 PM.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:03 PM   #15
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolyn View Post
Sanctuary (and I had to look this up; it's been a while since I've played D&D) means that anyone who attacks you in melee combat has to make a Will save or simply not be able to attack you. In addition, you can't attack anyone without breaking the spell.
When is the Will saving throw made in D&D? What happens if it fails? Is the rolling character free to choose to attack some other target, or has he wasted his attack action for that round?
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:13 PM   #16
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

If it's a spell in the original source, why not convert it as spell to GURPS?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:36 PM   #17
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

Of an Affliction that has Malediction, maybe aura, and Total Pacifism(only towards cleric)?
Old 01-19-2011, 01:50 AM   #18
The Wrathchild

Location: A nice, warm rock with an excellent view of the Damned

Further musings, assuming the 3.5 version of the spell, like found in the HyperText SRD. The power makes the attacker lose his action if he tries to attack the spell subject and borks a Will save.

GURPS Magic framework: It's pretty close to what the Command spell does. Turns it into an active defence with all that entails, but it's a pretty GURPS'y approach. Avoid also has some of the properties sought.

As a Power:

It reacts to attack, so the Reflexive (+40%) modifier is probably needed.

It is very clearly Mind Control [50]. But it's a version of Mind Control with only one use, so it's a very limited form in that regard. It commands the specific action of aborting the action underway. Probably in the -50% to -75% range.

Mind Control needs concentration, though which means that the power will need the Independent enhancement (+70%) or it will also cost the caster his ability to act that turn.

The adherence only lasts a turn, though, and that's the Maximum Duration limitation for -75%.

So far this comes to +40+70-75-75 = -40% for an advantage cost of 30.

Now as a spell this now needs to be rolled into an Affliction [10]

Adding this advantage is +300%

It's touch only so the affliction gains the Melee Attack, Reach C, No Parry for -35%.

The part about ending if attacking is an Accessibility limitation (Only while not attacking) probably worth -20%

That the power only protects for a duration is built into Affliction.

Final cost modifier should then be +300-35-20% = +245%. 3.45 x 10 is 34.5, rounding to 35 points.

------

If one uses Multiplicative modifiers the costs become:

Base Power: 40%+70% = +130% to 50 points = 115, reduced to 20% = 23 points.

Resulting Afflicttion: +230% to 10 points = 33 points, reduced to 45% = 14.85, rounding to 15 points.

Last edited by The Wrathchild; 01-19-2011 at 06:34 AM.
The Wrathchild is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monster creation