Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #51
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: GURPS Bestiary - SJG could publish "compilation" of monsters from various books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
From my experience with the last Bestiary, it'll be like Low Tech, but with critters instead of tech.
Much harder than Low-Tech probably, since full templates and point costs are a PITA.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #52
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Default Re: GURPS Bestiary - SJG could publish "compilation" of monsters from various books

Quote:
Originally Posted by nondescript handle View Post
Yes, to ask if "Bestiary" is a misnomer just like "IQ" and "Honesty" is a fair question.
Honesty definitely isn't a misnomer. Its name fits what it does 100%; in casual conversation, however, people often say "honesty" when they mean "truthfulness", but most would recognize what was meant when someone was described as "truthful and honest" as opposed to "truthful but not honest".

"Bestiary" and "IQ" are almost definitely misnomers, however.

Personally what I want more than monsters are pre-mapped dungeons. Monsters are easy enough for me to make/find, it's environments I can't find enough of in published settings.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #53
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
From my experience with the last Bestiary, it'll be like Low Tech, but with critters instead of tech.

By which I mean "writing the book will be a huge research project that takes subject-matter expertise, playtesting the book will be a zoo (and I don't mean that to be funny, I mean 8 months of people arguing with each other), and editing and laying out the book will be a migraine.

SJG needs a special kind of author for these projects - one who's good with the subject matter, AND good with GURPS and game mechanics, AND good at writing.

It doesn't matter if it's a Bestiary as in a bunch of zoo animals and prehistoric creatures, or one like the 3e Bestiary with fantastic real-world mythological creatures, or a Monster Manual - the expertise for the subject matter is different for each type of course, but the company still needs the expertise combined with two other skillsets, and it's still going to be very lively in the playtest...

I might be wrong here, but I strongly suspect that there will never be a big 200+ page 'Bestiary'.

I think it is more likely to be a series of PDFs. For that matter given that Fantasy Folk is on the wish list it might even be multiple series of PDFs.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:31 PM   #54
slaapliedje

I realize this thread is over a month old, but figured I'd throw in my two cents here.

That really is one thing that is semi-lacking in GURPS. A book you can just whip open, find a monster, and let the players attack it, when you're trying to buy some time to figure out how to properly get the characters on track after the players have totally screwed something up that you thought would be pretty obvious to do...

Most of the posts that want a Bestiary are also looking for it to provide templates for Shapeshifters. What would be nice is to take the 3rd Edition Bestiary, Fantasy Bestiary, Space Bestiary, etc and the Shapeshifters book (yeah, there was one, and it's awesome!) and kind of meld them together to form a series of books.

Basically each book would be the Beasts / Monsters / Aliens and contain shape shifting templates where appropriate.

Of course just like any other GUPRS book, it does need to be well researched, that's just the way they are done, and one of the main reasons I buy them. Seriously there are things I've actually learned from GURPS books that I didn't know before. They are like encyclopedias in disguise as a game!

If I didn't have so much else going on, I'd consider doing it myself. But really, it shouldn't be terribly impossible to take what creatures were already in the 3rd edition bestiaries and convert them to 4th, right?

slaapliedje
slaapliedje is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bestiary, monster creation, monsters