Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-04-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
Gigermann

Default [Basic] How does Fitness affect Paced Running?

The two listed effects of the Fitness Traits (good or bad) are the HT bonus/penalty (to stay conscious, avoid death, resist disease or poison, etc.). and possible reduction/increase in the rate of FP loss (without qualifier).

Paced Running (B354) has no explicit mention of Fitness effects. So, does Fitness apply its HT bonus/penalty to the rolls to prevent FP loss, or apply its increase/decrease to the rate of FP loss, or both? "Both" seems a bit excessive, at first glance, but maybe it isn't?
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
aesir23

Default Re: [Basic] How does Fitness affect Paced Running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigermann View Post
does Fitness apply its HT bonus/penalty to the rolls to prevent FP loss, or apply its increase/decrease to the rate of FP loss, or both?
I'd go with the latter.

I've always assumed that this was exactly the sort of situation in which the reduced rate of loss applies.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #3
Refplace

It specifically says the bonus does not apply to HT based skills so I would not grant a bonus to avoid Fatigue loss.
However the other benefits of reduced FP loss for very fit and recovering more quickly for both versions do apply.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
It specifically says the bonus does not apply to HT based skills so I would not grant a bonus to avoid Fatigue loss.
Why wouldn't it apply to the HT roll to avoid Fatigue loss? The roll to avoid fatigue loss is the higher of HT or Running skill.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:51 PM   #5
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
The two listed effects of the Fitness Traits (good or bad) are the HT bonus/penalty (to stay conscious, avoid death, resist disease or poison, etc.). and possible reduction/increase in the rate of FP loss (without qualifier).

Paced Running (B354) has no explicit mention of Fitness effects. So, does Fitness apply its HT bonus/penalty to the rolls to prevent FP loss, or apply its increase/decrease to the rate of FP loss, or both? "Both" seems a bit excessive, at first glance, but maybe it isn't?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running; Basic page 354
After every 15 seconds of sprinting or every minute of paced running, roll against the higher of HT or Running skill (p. 218).
I would add the Fitness bonus/penalty to HT but not to running skill, and further apply any increase/decrease to the rate of FP loss.

Last edited by NineDaysDead; 11-04-2011 at 12:55 PM.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #6
PK

Quote:

Both. If you have Fit, you get +1 to HT (but not Running) when rolling to avoid losing FP. If you have Very Fit, you get +2 to HT (but not Running) and your interval between rolls is twice as long.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
Gigermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
and your interval between rolls is twice as long.
That's interesting. I was debating whether to apply ½FP per minute or 1FP per 2 minutes; the wording of the Fitness stuff would suggest the former, and the latter has a different effect than just reducing felt fatigue, since checks would be made half as often (fewer chances to fail over the same time period).
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:26 PM   #8
PK

Quote:
That's interesting. I was debating whether to apply ½FP per minute or 1FP per 2 minutes; the wording of the Fitness stuff would suggest the former, and the latter has a different effect than just reducing felt fatigue, since checks would be made half as often (fewer chances to fail over the same time period).
There is no such thing as "half a Fatigue Point" in GURPS. FP are fundamental particles; they don't reduce. So when you lose "1 FP per X minutes," Very Fit changes it to "1 FP per 2X minutes." And when you spend 1 FP in a sudden, transient action (e.g., Extra Effort), Very Fit doesn't help you at all -- there's no way to halve the 1 FP, and there's no rate to alter.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote