Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-03-2023, 04:22 AM   #1
Major

Default Initial Carving Question

Hi there, brand new player so still learning a lot of things. Can someone ELI5 the Initial Carving technique from Martial Arts 4e?

I get that I pick a letter and count strokes. Then the first one is just my normal weapon skill (Rapier in my case). And future strokes are at a default of -4. I know I can buy that up so at 5 points for example it's -0.

But the two main questions I had were first, are the stokes all done separately? IE: if we use the example L. E. the book has. Then the L is two strokes, the E is four strokes. Is that two turns to draw the L, four for the E? Or is it a flurry of strikes so if I hit I draw the letter?

My second question was mostly what about more curved letters? A C or an O? Can you do those in one? Or is it block style so 3 and 4?
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 05:16 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Initial Carving Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
But the two main questions I had were first, are the stokes all done separately? IE: if we use the example L. E. the book has. Then the L is two strokes, the E is four strokes. Is that two turns to draw the L, four for the E?
Two and four attacks, respectively. If you're skilled enough to do this in combat, you may well be using Rapid Strikes (p. B370) to do it faster, reducing the penalties by having Weapon Master and using a fencing weapon. You may even have Extra Attack.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 12:29 PM   #3
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Two and four attacks, respectively. If you're skilled enough to do this in combat, you may well be using Rapid Strikes (p. B370) to do it faster, reducing the penalties by having Weapon Master and using a fencing weapon. You may even have Extra Attack.
In a cinematic game, I'd be quite willing to allow one or more levels of 'Extra Attack (Initial Carving Only, -80%)' (especially if you're literally playing el Zorro). The sharp limitation is permissible because it really is that limiting, IMHO. If it were being used for Symbol Drawing Magic, though, I might not allow that good a cost-break, since it's a lot more useful.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 12:59 PM   #4
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Thank you for the reply and ways to make it quicker. I'll keep those in mind! That was what I assumed since it seemed way too strong if it was allowing multiple strokes at once for the simple default-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
In a cinematic game, I'd be quite willing to allow one or more levels of 'Extra Attack (Initial Carving Only, -80%)' (especially if you're literally playing el Zorro). The sharp limitation is permissible because it really is that limiting, IMHO. If it were being used for Symbol Drawing Magic, though, I might not allow that good a cost-break, since it's a lot more useful.
Is the limit that large to be worth 80%? Isn't it a normal attack other than having to be cutting?
Old 02-03-2023, 01:07 PM   #5
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
Is the limit that large to be worth 80%? Isn't it a normal attack other than having to be cutting?
From what I recall (and the way I'd use it in a game), it's literally scratching the surface - the goal is doing enough damage to be visible, not doing as much damage as possible. Of course, I haven't looked at that section of GURPS Martial Arts in a while.

EDIT: Plus, I think the 'one technique only' limitation would already be pretty severe.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 01:42 PM   #6
Polkageist

It's such a cinematic schtick, that I think it'd fall right well under a perk-level schtick. I think there's already a perk for that sort of thing, calling card I think? Easily parked there. In a realistic game... I doubt I'd let it be something done in combat time, it's just too fussy for that kind of grit.

Calling-card, take a round (or more? I forget how long calling-card takes) and you carve your initials into something (or someone, if they can't or won't defend themselves). Does no damage, would buff right out if someone cares to do so and won't leave a scar. Useful though for marking things, and of course letting your foes know that you were there.
Polkageist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 06:26 PM   #7
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polkageist View Post
It's such a cinematic schtick, that I think it'd fall right well under a perk-level schtick. I think there's already a perk for that sort of thing, calling card I think? Easily parked there. In a realistic game... I doubt I'd let it be something done in combat time, it's just too fussy for that kind of grit.

Calling-card, take a round (or more? I forget how long calling-card takes) and you carve your initials into something (or someone, if they can't or won't defend themselves). Does no damage, would buff right out if someone cares to do so and won't leave a scar. Useful though for marking things, and of course letting your foes know that you were there.
Yeah I took Trademark. But I felt the ability to do the Zorro cut a letter into someone clothes or whatever was a fun technique to pair with it. I'm pretty much wasting points for it, but it seemed too amusing to pass on.

I figure trademark is just useful for a general unmarked and then mid-combat slicing a quick letter could be fun.

Edit: I've seen a few places say Fencing Weapons have a smaller penalty for Rapid Strikes. Where is that? I see they have a smaller penalty for multiple parties, but can't find anything on rapid strike.

Last edited by Major; 02-03-2023 at 06:39 PM.