Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-04-2022, 07:40 PM   #71
DreadDomain

Default Re: Nightmare Fuel: Snakes, Bugs (well, arthropods mostly), and Evil Plants for the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post

It remains to be seen if the project would have done better with ONLY the nightmare fuel hardcover at $20 and the Print+PDF at $50. At 600 backers, and planning just on those books...it wouldn't have paid for itself (that $29K or more original goal was based on a similar calculation).
That was my conundrum right there. I am generally less interested by slim books than by bigger hardcovers (or softcover) so I was waiting to see if we would get to the omnibus. At this stage, I have only backed at pdf level.
DreadDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 08:20 PM   #72
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Nightmare Fuel: Snakes, Bugs (well, arthropods mostly), and Evil Plants for the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadDomain View Post
That was my conundrum right there. I am generally less interested by slim books than by bigger hardcovers (or softcover) so I was waiting to see if we would get to the omnibus. At this stage, I have only backed at pdf level.
Yah.

I get it. The proposals came in separately over a period of time. So it wasn't like I had "here's a bunch of monsters!" in mind. They came in as three different books that wound up on the same basic timeline.

Sometimes you roll the dice and win. This time (unless the next 45 hours change radically) I broke even.

I mean, maybe we'll get 200 people in the next day and a half. Then we get hardcover. There are almost 560 following-but-not-backed. So it's not impossible. It's just unlikely given velocity to date.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 09:06 AM   #73
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
I mean, maybe we'll get 200 people in the next day and a half. Then we get hardcover. There are almost 560 following-but-not-backed. So it's not impossible. It's just unlikely given velocity to date.
And if Backerkit doesn't do the 48-hours email prod, a lot of that conversion may not happen.

I'm pretty sure that the 48-hours reminder contributes a lot to the uptick at the end of most Kickstarters. I know my normal routine is to do a 'Remind Me' and then come back at the end to decide if I'll actually back or not. (That helps limit my impulse buys, which are a problem for me, and which are hard on my budget. And I don't have time to read/play most things as it is. The downside is I sometimes totally miss projects I probably would have backed if I hadn't gotten busy and just plain missed the notice.)

ETA: I was really hoping the Daily Illuminator would give it a good bump.

Last edited by Armin; 11-05-2022 at 09:11 AM.
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 09:50 AM   #74
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
And if Backerkit doesn't do the 48-hours email prod, a lot of that conversion may not happen.
They did send out something. I also just sent out

This 32-hour Update

that has a preview of the introduction spread for Garden of Evil.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that the 48-hours reminder contributes a lot to the uptick at the end of most Kickstarters. I know my normal routine is to do a 'Remind Me' and then come back at the end to decide if I'll actually back or not. (That helps limit my impulse buys, which are a problem for me, and which are hard on my budget. And I don't have time to read/play most things as it is. The downside is I sometimes totally miss projects I probably would have backed if I hadn't gotten busy and just plain missed the notice.)

ETA: I was really hoping the Daily Illuminator would give it a good bump.
Yeah. Part of that is that Kickstarter has a really good mindshare for folks, that I don't think BK crowdfunding has earned. I can't set aside my doubts on the campaign structure either, which is on me.

We'll get the books: The project funded a while ago. The uptick at the end? That remains to be seen.
Old 11-05-2022, 10:07 AM   #75
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Part of that is that Kickstarter has a really good mindshare for folks, that I don't think BK crowdfunding has earned.
Well, no. BK crowdfunding is brand new, and I doubt many of us had heard of it before you started this campaign. It had the advantage of seeming more trustworthy than an all-new platform to people who've used BK before, but many people seem resistant to using lots of platforms. For example, SJ Games started selling GURPS PDFs faster once they put them on DriveThru, because some people wanted to get all their PDFs there.
Quote:
I can't set aside my doubts on the campaign structure either, which is on me.
Having more steps on the stretch-goal path is probably good for building engagement with a campaign, although it's more complicated for you. While a hardcover is nice, it doesn't provide more content.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 10:13 AM   #76
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Having more steps on the stretch-goal path is probably good for building engagement with a campaign, although it's more complicated for you. While a hardcover is nice, it doesn't provide more content.
Yeah stretch goals and addons are very helpful. Addons wouldn't do it for me as I already have everything from Gaming Ballistic GURPS related, plus some TFT stuff.
Not only is it more purchaseable items you want to keep checking back to see progress.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 10:44 AM   #77
johndallman
Night Watchman

Is there a way to add-on a single volume of the bestiary? I have a friend who isn't particularly into GURPS or related games but has a D&D wizard who's a Botanist of Mass Destruction.
Old 11-05-2022, 12:43 PM   #78
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Is there a way to add-on a single volume of the bestiary? I have a friend who isn't particularly into GURPS or related games but has a D&D wizard who's a Botanist of Mass Destruction.
I will probably put single-volumes in the Backerkit Survey period once the campaign ends.
Old 11-05-2022, 02:01 PM   #79
johndallman
Night Watchman

Thanks! 123
Old 11-05-2022, 04:48 PM   #80
Farmer

Quote:
Sometimes you roll the dice and win. This time (unless the next 45 hours change radically) I broke even.
I was kinda hoping that even if the stretch wasn't reached, by being a reasonable amount over the funding level without you having to create any new items (the omnibus) that meant your profit would be extended and make it more worthwhile for you. i.e. more sales on the already sunk costs.
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bestiary, crowd funding