Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-25-2022, 07:13 PM   #1
TGLS

Default Adapting to Different Sleep Schedules

OK, so per Getting Up Early (B427), if you sleep for less than your sleep period, you subtract twice the hours missed from your awake period. If I'm reading it correctly, this isn't cumulative, thus a human can adapt to and 2:1 sleep cycle without much trouble. Is this a correct reading or is there something I'm missing? I kind of feel like there should be penalty, at least when starting out.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 07:20 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Adapting to Different Sleep Schedules

Not sure what you mean by not being cumulative. It's not cumulative across multiple days (that's handled by the fatigue loss) but it's certainly cumulative for multiple hours in the same day.
Old 11-25-2022, 07:51 PM   #3
shadowjack

Sorry, but GURPS is not an exhaustive reality simulator, it's a game for dramatic fiction -- albeit one grounded in a sense of realism or historicity. So it's not surprising that many real things aren't in the rules! :)

The Basic Set gives simple, basic rules for sleep which are sufficient for the average game. If you're doing a campaign where sleep deprivation and unusual sleep schedules are important, I think you'll have to invent some suitable rules. (And then share them here, if you like!)

I find it useful for questions like these to start by looking at the reality first, then devise rules within the GURPS framework if it seems necessary. Off the top of my head, I imagine that adapting to a new sleep schedule would be a HT roll, or possibly a roll on Autohypnosis, Body Control, or Dreaming skills. Fail the roll, you suck up some sort of fatigue penalty until your character adapts; critically fail, and your character is one of those people who just can't adapt to that schedule. Something like that.
shadowjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 07:05 AM   #4
mburr0003

I like adapting After the End's Long-Term Fatigue to handle things like this. Miss sleep and then still have FP missing from missed sleep when you fail to rest again? LFP loss instead of FP.

I'm not sure what you mean by "2:1" sleep cycle, but if you want to impliment Biphasic Sleep cycles, go ahead, just amend the rules from "needs 8 hours continuous" to "needs 8 hours of rest in a 24 hour period".

But even then, most people need 2+ hours in a rest cycle to feel rested, so multiple 1 hr rest period don;t really work... but I'd allow it with a Perk.

But then I also run high cinematic, not gritty realism.
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 10:13 AM   #5
RyanW

You could make a HT roll each day following a major sleep schedule shift to see if the character has adapted. A failure leaves them low on FP as if they had slept poorly, success means they slept okay but aren't yet adapted, success by 5+ means they've adapted. Each consecutive day they do not sleep outside of the new schedule gives +1 to the roll (take a nap to catch up and you lose your progress).

At least, that kind of matches my experience when trying to change my sleep schedule. You have some good days and bad, gradually becoming better, until suddenly it's your new sleep schedule.
Old 11-26-2022, 10:38 AM   #6
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowjack View Post
Off the top of my head, I imagine that adapting to a new sleep schedule would be a HT roll, or possibly a roll on Autohypnosis, Body Control, or Dreaming skills. Fail the roll, you suck up some sort of fatigue penalty until your character adapts; critically fail, and your character is one of those people who just can't adapt to that schedule. Something like that.
Will rolls are generally required to go to sleep, but a HT roll, or HT-based skill roll might be required to cope with jet-lag. Add a +1 cumulative bonus each day to HT as your circadian rhythms adapt. Failure means -1 FP due to lack of sleep, CF means Drowsiness.

Most sleep cycle problems should be handled as perks or quirks.

Quirk
Fixed Sleep Cycle - you have a -2 penalty to adapt to a new sleep schedule.

Perk
Flexible Sleep Cycle - You get a +3 bonus to adapt to a new sleep schedule or don't need to roll at all. (Resistant: +3, Rare Condition)
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 03:25 PM   #7
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Most sleep cycle problems should be handled as perks or quirks.
Deep Sleeper (p. B101) seems to dispose of most such problems.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 03:54 AM   #8
RogerBW

Personal experience: in 1998 I started working in jobs that had 3-4 12-hour shifts in a row, then a 24- or 48-hour break and the opposite 12-hour shift. Within six months I had gained the ability to go to sleep at any time of day no matter what my body clock thought it was, and wake up refreshed. I'd be entirely happy to roll this into Deep Sleeper.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 10:16 PM   #9
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Deep Sleeper (p. B101) seems to dispose of most such problems.
Per RAW, yes.

If there were rules for jet lag and similar circadian rhythm problems, it might not. Sure, you could go to sleep easily, and stay asleep, but you might still feel fatigued because of the time zone change. Since the usual solution to jet lag is to try to stay up and go to bed at the same time the locals do, it might even be counterproductive.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fatigue, fatigue recovery, sleep