Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-12-2022, 01:01 PM   #1
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Nightmare Fuel: Snakes, Bugs (well, arthropods mostly), and Evil Plants for the DFRPG

Tomorrow Gaming Ballistic launches our latest support for the Dungeon Fantasy RPG and anything else that requires some creepy opposition:

Nightmare Fuel.

These sequels to the Nordlond Bestiary and Enemies Book provide themed monsters of classic ookiness: Snakes, Bugs, and Evil Plants.

This is the first project Gaming Ballistic is running on Backerkit Crowdfunding; we hope you'll help Nightmare Fuel bring three more volumes of monsters to the Dungeon Fantasy RPG!

Click here to sign up to be notified on launch!

Thanks! See you tomorrow!
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 10:00 AM   #2
DouglasCole

Default Re: Nightmare Fuel: Snakes, Bugs (well, arthropods mostly), and Evil Plants for the D

Nightmare Fuel is now LIVE on Backerkit Crowdfunding!
Old 10-13-2022, 10:10 AM   #3
Varyon

Default Re: Nightmare Fuel: Snakes, Bugs (well, arthropods mostly), and Evil Plants for the D

Nice, I'll be certain to join in when I get home tonight. Of course, upon seeing the cover mock-ups, it occurred to me it would be hilarious if there were another stretch goal that would make available a version of the book with all the artwork redone in the cutesy style of the mock-ups. No change in stats - the giant snake will still crush your bones in its coils and swallow your broken corpse whole, but it'll look adorable the whole time.

EDIT: Just to make certain I'm understanding the setup correctly, the quick reference deck/pdf and Foundry VTT modules are only available as add-ons, correct? They are not included in any of the default options?

Last edited by Varyon; 10-13-2022 at 10:17 AM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 10:22 AM   #4
mehrkat

found my own answer sorry

Submitted pdfs and vtt addon. :)

The Beastiary has been a really great tool for my game and recommend supporting based on that.

Last edited by mehrkat; 10-13-2022 at 10:25 AM. Reason: oops
mehrkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 10:30 AM   #5
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Nice, I'll be certain to join in when I get home tonight. Of course, upon seeing the cover mock-ups, it occurred to me it would be hilarious if there were another stretch goal that would make available a version of the book with all the artwork redone in the cutesy style of the mock-ups. No change in stats - the giant snake will still crush your bones in its coils and swallow your broken corpse whole, but it'll look adorable the whole time.

EDIT: Just to make certain I'm understanding the setup correctly, the quick reference deck/pdf and Foundry VTT modules are only available as add-ons, correct? They are not included in any of the default options?
Your second part first: https://www.backerkit.com/c/douglas-...dge_levels#top

Complete Nightmare ($105) and Complete Digital Nightmare ($50) both include the QR cards and Foundry VTT modules. So do the All the New Things ($125) and All the New Things (Digital) ($60) pledge levels. If you follow the link above, you'll see photos of each pledge level, which should help.

The "cutesy" books would be fun; I've been asked to provide cutesey covers, but it would need to sit there at like $73K to re-do all the art. There's a LOT of bespoke art under commission (or there will be once I get my art direction done).
Old 10-13-2022, 10:47 AM   #6
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Your second part first: https://www.backerkit.com/c/douglas-...dge_levels#top

Complete Nightmare ($105) and Complete Digital Nightmare ($50) both include the QR cards and Foundry VTT modules. So do the All the New Things ($125) and All the New Things (Digital) ($60) pledge levels. If you follow the link above, you'll see photos of each pledge level, which should help.
Ah, thank you. I thought it was odd for them to only be available a la carte.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
The "cutesy" books would be fun; I've been asked to provide cutesey covers, but it would need to sit there at like $73K to re-do all the art. There's a LOT of bespoke art under commission (or there will be once I get my art direction done).
My original draft of the response had an eyeballed $100k, basically as "approximately double the Omnibus stretch goal," but I figured you'd have a better idea as to what it would cost. Art ain't cheap!
Old 10-13-2022, 11:56 AM   #7
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Ah, thank you. I thought it was odd for them to only be available a la carte.
Indeed. No, I tried to provide a best guess at what folks would want.

"Everything new since the last project," which was the big Nordlond Bestiary, seemed appropriate. Print/PDF and PDF-only of just the new books, likewise.

Right now, "All the New Things" (which includes Shields Up), "NF PDF-only," and "NDF Print/PDF" are basically running tied. "Complete Nightmare in Print/PDF" is 2/3 the quantities of the other three.

Everything else is onesy-twosy.

Quote:
My original draft of the response had an eyeballed $100k, basically as "approximately double the Omnibus stretch goal," but I figured you'd have a better idea as to what it would cost. Art ain't cheap!
The Omnibus stretch goal is out there a while because I wanted to be 100% double-dog sure that the project was successful before I started giving hardcover books away.

But yeah, the art budget here would be about $14K or so to redo everything in what amounts to the Munchkin art style. Not a bad thing...but it would be one of those things that would only pay for itself migrating the creatures to other games.

Hmmm...
Old 10-17-2022, 01:58 PM   #8
DouglasCole

One of the things that Backerkit Crowdfunding brings to projects is a level of flexibility. Creators get to work directly with several contacts on the BK Crowdfunding team, and campaigns can be adjusted as they go, especially during this preliminary Beta-test phase.

Case in point: I always do my planning based on customers doing ahistorically low uptake on anything but the base pledge. So where I planned on something like $58 per pledge (and the "surplus" funds that I would use to write checks for development costs associated with that) for the Nightmare Fuel bestiary campaign...reality has come in closer to $88. While there are "Cost of Goods Sold" that eat out of that (If you buy a boxed set, I have to buy one from SJGames), any and all profits from such a "plus-up" go into a pool from which I can pay my artists, writers, and the like. In short, cover the costs of the project.

But one of the side-effects of the pledges coming in hot is that the number of backers I need to cover development and printing costs is lower. In fact, it's a LOT lower than my initial estimates.

I asked Backerkit if it would be possible to change the goal...and while they're not making this a system-level feature of the platform, they're willing to accommodate us on this!

Funding Level Now $24,000

So, in one fell swoop, we're that much closer to funding. The analysis of the project - only available now that my knowledge of the "mix" of things folks are interested is informed by data and not guesswork - shows that I can cover the costs with just under $24,000 in funding rather than my initial estimate of $29K.

I'd very much appreciate it if folks jumped on board sooner rather than later on this one.

Stretch Goal...Yeah, that's now $48,000 also

I'd set the original goal at 200% funding, not a particular dollar amount. The mix also impacts the point where I can give away the right number of copies of a 100-page hardcover, and the math works out such that yes, the new mix is within a few hundred dollars of "still 200%, but that 200% is $10,000 lower than it used to be."

So...if we hit $48,000 - which would currently occur at about 550 backers, give or take a few - then yeah, everyone who goes in for the Nightmare Fuel physical books in any pledge will get a copy of the hardcover omnibus.

Add-on Alert: Cartoon Covers

I've been asked by a bunch of folks to make the printed books available as add-ons with the "placeholder" silly covers.

This won't be a problem. I'll put them in Backerkit as "goals," meaning if we get orders for a modest amount - 15 to 25 is usually a good number for each hub - I'll place and fill the orders along with the rest of the project. Pricing is probably similar to print-only retail: call it $20 each for Serpents and Bugs (retail will be $23 and $22 unless page counts increase), and $15 for Garden of Evil.

This might be flexible, in that if folks really want these and want all three...I'm sure I can do a package deal.

Also no reason I can't make poster prints available for less than the full book if folks want to display the fun alternate covers without having to buy content twice!

Let's take this up in the comments, and see what people are interested in seeing.
Old 10-18-2022, 11:37 AM   #9
Armin
GCA Prime

Oh, yeah. I so hope that works out.
Old 10-18-2022, 11:57 AM   #10
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
Oh, yeah. I so hope that works out.
There are just over 500 people following but not pledged. Both funding and the stretch goal are not impossible.

I'll admit I was hoping it would fund faster, but times are hard. I tend to get about 1/3 of my backers/funding on day 1-2, and we actually ran ahead of that on the first day, hitting 50% but then slowing down hard on day 2.

The Backertracker is saying $35-40K total, which I'm hoping improves over time as I get the word out, hopefully with some Daily Illuminator help.

Tags
bestiary, crowd funding