Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-04-2013, 03:57 AM   #1
Anders

Default Oddball Campaign Ideas

A thread for those ideas that are just... odd. Be creative and don't be afraid to be weird!

Reign of Stone
The Stonehenge Funding Bill is passed. The system goes on-line August 4th, 3100 B.C. Human decisions are removed from strategic defense. Stonehenge begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug.

Three hundred thousand human lives ended on August 29th, 3100 B.C. The survivors called the war Judgment Day. They lived only to face a new nightmare: the war against the Animates.

The humans built Stonehenge to fight their wars for them. They constructed mighty machines of bronze and animated them with earth spirits. The Animates. They forgot that Stonehenge could animate bronze too...

In agony they prayed to the spirits of the animals. The spirits imbued certain humans with part of their power. The Bear, the Eagle, the Wolf... they fought back. Fought back against the bronze terrors that walked the earth.

Power Level: 500-1000 points
Tech Level: 1
Style: Cinematic Supers campaign
Tone: Probably rather silly

A somewhat logical conclusion of Stonehenge being built as a "large computer". The PCs fight the agents of Stonehenge in a war that will determine the outcome for all humanity.

Last edited by Anders; 07-04-2013 at 06:02 AM.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:00 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Oddball Campaign Ideas

I would actually want to play that campaign. Any ideas on max power levels/DR?
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:03 AM   #3
Anders

Probably I-scale (Supers p.19; you want Supers for this). And feel free to use it - the thread is here to spark ideas!
Old 07-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #4
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
Probably I-scale (Supers p.19; you want Supers for this). And feel free to use it - the thread is here to spark ideas!
Hmm, I have a TL3, 500 point character only doing 10d...Guess I could just throw some DR on him and change his "requires/based on bow" to a TL1 weapon. Not that I have a group to play with right now, but still good to have a character ready, yes?
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #5
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

I want to run a session about a group of amnesiacs who found themselves in sci-fi combat suits on a heavily damaged submarine, with the suits providing limited usage of Jumper (Time), ATR, ETS, Telesend (Time-Spanning) etc. The catch is that they have freedom to move only within a 45-minute timeframe, and can only occupy any given moment once (i.e. no chrono-clones!). They need to figure what happened and how to find out and complete their mission and/or save themselves. The concept is heavily inspired by Primer and Achron, and is rather mindscrewy.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
Leynok

I once was planning on running a survival game set in the modern day. The catch was the players would be some form of undead, needing to stay "alive" by getting the food they need (brains, blood, flesh, whatever) but doing it in a tricky enough way to not have mobs coming after them. Oh and because returning to the plane of the living is against the plane of the dead's laws, there are also reapers actively seeking them out to begin with.
Leynok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Hmm, I have a TL3, 500 point character only doing 10d...Guess I could just throw some DR on him and change his "requires/based on bow" to a TL1 weapon. Not that I have a group to play with right now, but still good to have a character ready, yes?
Bows with chariots were the tanks of TL1 societies. They ruled the battlefield for over a thousand years.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
Stripe

Fluffy Magical Princess Unicorn Land

"Limitless pleasure is highly overrated." --The Maxx

Welcome to Fluffy Magical Princess Unicorn Land! Breath in the fresh, sweet summer air. Witness the stunning, majestic landscapes that stretch to the endless horizon. Who wouldn't want to live here forever and ever?

Deep inside the mystical utopian forest, unicorns run and frolic between the ancient trees, centaurs galloping beside them. Satyrs play their pipes as nymphs dance and cherubs flutter. Here, all the animals speak; from the squirrels and rabbits to the deer and bluebirds, each has a voice. Moreover, they want to be friends with everyone they meet!

Here, there is no illness, no disease, no starvation, no pain, no death. Everyone loves one another, and they all especially love their princess who lives in that spectacular white palace floating upon the low clouds yonder.

Soon, visitors ("How did we get here, anyway?") will start to notice some unexpected aspects of this wondrous land. For example, while there are male and female genders, there are clearly no reproductive organs. No creature here is "born," even though there are apparently "mothers" and "fathers" and siblings. Creatures here just somehow magically come into existence either as fully-grown adults or as child-like specimens. Sexual procreation is an unknown concept, and no one wants to discuss it anyway. In fact, the whole topic of how creatures arrive in this land is taboo.

There are no carnivores here, either. In fact, it's seemingly quite impossible to kill or seriously harm any living creature. Slash a talking miniature pegasus with a sword? The blade won't draw blood no matter how strong the arm or keen the edge. Hack into a tree with an axe? Might as well be swinging a butter knife. Trimming small branches is the best one can manage.

Speaking of violence, don't. The forest friends won't take kindly to it. No, they can't do anything to stop it, but they can run and tell the princess.

And, you don't want the princess to get mad at you.

Genre: Fantasy
Power Level: 250/-50/-5
Tech Level: 4
Style: Semi-Serious
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:40 AM   #9
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate.
"Earthnet".
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:02 AM   #10
Anders

I'll stick with "Stonehenge" throughout, but thanks.

Tags
campaign ideas