Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-12-2021, 04:25 PM   #1
kate_unknown

Default What is RAW?

Probably a dumb noobish question, but what is RAW? I see people using it a lot in this forum, but I am unaware of any book that would be an acronym for.
kate_unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:29 PM   #2
exalted

Default Re: What is RAW?

It is a common acronym for Rules as Written.

Aka what the rules really say regardless of intent or if it makes sense or is a good rule.
exalted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:29 PM   #3
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

"Rules as written." That is, the text of published works, without any workarounds, house rules, or common variants.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:32 PM   #4
Celjabba

Rules As Written :refer to the text of the published rules, with no outside knowledge (ie author comments, ...) or variants.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:09 PM   #5
kate_unknown

Cool, thanks everyone!
Old 06-12-2021, 09:19 PM   #6
Daigoro

It's a bit dated and out-of-date, but there's the forum list of abbreviations to check out.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 05:29 AM   #7
Inky

RAW can also be used as the opposite of RAI (rules as intended). That is, it can be used to describe something that is possible if you interpret the letter of the rules literally, but possibly wasn't intended. (This usage of "RAW" comes up a lot on sites that discuss Dungeons & Dragons, where exploiting the exact letter of the rules to determine what your character can and can't do is positively expected!)
Old 06-13-2021, 07:39 AM   #8
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
RAW can also be used as the opposite of RAI (rules as intended). That is, it can be used to describe something that is possible if you interpret the letter of the rules literally, but possibly wasn't intended. (This usage of "RAW" comes up a lot on sites that discuss Dungeons & Dragons, where exploiting the exact letter of the rules to determine what your character can and can't do is positively expected!)
E.g. by a literal reading of parts of the RAW in several D&D books, it is possible for a first level kobold (IIRC) to ascend to godhood by doing a specific sequence of things, but most people who know the details are almost certain or totally certain that the RAI would not allow it, and most DMs would not allow it either.

GURPS does not have so many literalist RAW exploits, largely because of how it's structured compared to D&D. Of course, I like to think that GURPS attracts fewer minmaxers and ruleplayers who go for that sort of thing, but that may be optimistic on my part.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 02:07 PM   #9
Whitewings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
E.g. by a literal reading of parts of the RAW in several D&D books, it is possible for a first level kobold (IIRC) to ascend to godhood by doing a specific sequence of things, but most people who know the details are almost certain or totally certain that the RAI would not allow it, and most DMs would not allow it either.
Pun-pun is not actually possible; the build is illegal several ways, though I don't recall all the ways. But they're not hard to find.
Whitewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:41 PM   #10
kate_unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
It's a bit dated and out-of-date, but there's the forum list of abbreviations to check out.
Wow there are a lot!

Tags
raw