Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #1
fewilcox

Default Signature Gear Built With Points

My character in my wife's current campaign has a device inspired by the Omnitrix from Ben 10. The difference is that my device is psionic and allows me to change into various elementals.

But now that the game has progressed a bit and Rat has gotten better at using the device, I was thinking of spending some of my earned CP to buy off some of the limitations on the device (for one thing, it has randomly-determined time limits on duration and recharge) but now we're not sure if we even built it correctly.

I currently have it listed as Signature Gear with Alternate Form and Phantom Voices (the elementals talk to me). The device is bonded to me and not even I can figure out how to remove it, but if it ever is removed then I lose the ability to transform.

So we were thinking that we could just add Alternate Form and Phantom Voices to my character sheet and have the device as pure fluff. The only potential problem with that is figuring out what happens if I ever do lose it (lose AF and PV and regain the points?).

Is there a "requires focus" (focus as in 'magic wand', not focus as in 'conversation') limitation anywhere like there is in OVA? Or is there an easier way to go about the whole thing?

I make character sheets and other tools for various roleplaying games.
fewilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
Langy

Default Re: Signature Gear Built With Points

Check out the gadget limitations - they're specifically made for this type of thing.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #3
luraj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Check out the gadget limitations - they're specifically made for this type of thing.
We did (this is fewilcox's wife, btw). He just removed them all because they didn't seem to be appropriate (or something. He can explain it better.)

The 'omnitrix' was originally built as a gadget, but we're not sure that's the best way to go about doing it.
luraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
aesir23

If the device can neither be stolen nor damaged, then you simply have the relevant advantages, no need to buy signature gear or the gadget limitations.

If you later figure out how to remove it, add Can Be Stolen and Unique to the relevant advantages.

If the Omnitrix is obvious, and not disguised as a watch or something, it could be a distinctive feature.

If the voices tell you useful information, you should buy them as Contact or Allies rather than Phantom Voices.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
fewilcox

Like she said, I just removed Breakable and Unique (since it requires Breakable) but there don't seem to be any other Gadget limitations except Can Be Stolen which isn't appropriate since we don't even know if it's removable. And those three are the only ones listed in Characters.

Are there any gadget limitations in another book? That would help immensely.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by fewilcox View Post
Not yet. The only thing that makes a gadget different from an innate power is whether or not people can disable or steal it. If that doesn't apply to your gadget, you simply buy the advantages without the limitations.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:02 PM   #7
fewilcox

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
If the device can neither be stolen nor damaged, then you simply have the relevant advantages, no need to buy signature gear or the gadget limitations.
As I said, that's how I'm leaning but I want to clear up any potential issues before I start rewriting my character sheet.

The only potential problem I see is that the character has been transported to a different planet (and possibly different universe) where magic is real so it's possible that someone here might be able to remove it even though it was not removable on near-future Earth. I'm just trying to prepare for that contingency should it come up.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
lexington

Quote:
Like she said, I just removed Breakable and Unique (since it requires Breakable) but there don't seem to be any other Gadget limitations except Can Be Stolen which isn't appropriate since we don't even know if it's removable. And those three are the only ones listed in Characters.

That you happen to have a thing on your wrist is just a feature of the advantages then. If it allows bad guys to quickly deduce that you have super powers it's an Unusual Feature.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:08 PM   #9
aesir23

Quote:
As I said, that's how I'm leaning but I want to clear up any potential issues before I start rewriting my character sheet.

The only potential problem I see is that the character has been transported to a different planet (and possibly different universe) where magic is real so it's possible that someone here might be able to remove it even though it was not removable on near-future Earth. I'm just trying to prepare for that contingency should it come up.
If it can be stolen it Can Be Stolen, it's up to you to decide if that's the case and let her take the relevant limitations if it is.

[EDIT] Sorry, I guess I may have mixed-up who's the player and who's the GM. If the you don't take Can Be Stolen then your powers can't be stolen, it would be unfair for the GM to say, "ah but in this universe it Can be." You should get the discount based on the reality of the campaign, not just the situation in your origin story.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:12 PM   #10
fewilcox

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
That you happen to have a thing on your wrist is just a feature of the advantages then. If it allows bad guys to quickly deduce that you have super powers it's an Unusual Feature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
If it can be stolen it Can Be Stolen, it's up to you to decide if that's the case and let her take the relevant limitations if it is.
Thank you both. I think that's got us straightened out. Unusual Feature had never even occurred to me.

Tags
alternate form, omnitrix, signature gear