Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-09-2014, 02:29 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Estimating 'Best equipment possible at your TL' costs? (For Signature Gear etc.)

Greetings, all!

On one hand, B345 says that 'Best equipment possible at your TL' is usually not for sale. On the other, it seems logical that someone's Signature Gear could be the best of the best the world can offer. Which raises the question: how does one normally estimate the price of e.g. the pickiest lockpicks in the world, or the hackiest intrusion software, or whatever?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-09-2014, 02:40 AM   #2
GodBeastX

Default Re: Estimating 'Best equipment possible at your TL' costs? (For Signature Gear etc.)

Priceless.

And I'm not being funny saying that. To give you an example, car shows may show off the craziest creations in automobiles and top of the line parts, and each one is worth several million, but may not be when they hit the streets.

Prototypes can be insane. Military can be unavailable at all. And some things are so obscure nowhere to buy it to even get a price.

So basically "Up to GM" is probably the safest bet.

Power up Perks has a blurb under "Better Gear" perk that might help you.
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:23 AM   #3
aesir23

Default Re: Estimating 'Best equipment possible at your TL' costs? (For Signature Gear etc.)

Well, if you want to buy gear from 1 TL up, you need Higher TL (5) and then pay 2X the cost of the gear.

So for cutting edge gear, I'd say, Better Gear (1) and 1.5X cost.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:32 AM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Greetings, all!

On one hand, B345 says that 'Best equipment possible at your TL' is usually not for sale. On the other, it seems logical that someone's Signature Gear could be the best of the best the world can offer. Which raises the question: how does one normally estimate the price of e.g. the pickiest lockpicks in the world, or the hackiest intrusion software, or whatever?

Thanks in advance!
It's x100 cost per GURPS Supers p. 75 and I wouldn't have a issue with it. I'd increase the complexity though per Fine software.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:57 AM   #5
whswhs

Quote:
Greetings, all!

Thanks in advance!
In GURPS Supers, I used 100x. You could go with that, or you could have a climbing scale that gets steeper with TL: 100x for +3, 500x for +4, 2000x for +5, and 10,000x for +6 (the highest possible).

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #6
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
It's x100 cost per GURPS Supers p. 75 and I wouldn't have a issue with it. I'd increase the complexity though per Fine software.
Thanks. I was hoping there's a RAW answer to that. And since a Fine (+2) set of software canonically costs $1,000 at TL10, and is equivalent to a Fine (+2, ×20) kit of tools, I'm guessing that would indicate $5,000 (at TL9 - $50,000). Not bad for a glorified spreadsheet. (I kid, I kid. I understand such software is no laughing matter.)
Old 06-09-2014, 10:47 AM   #7
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Thanks. I was hoping there's a RAW answer to that. And since a Fine (+2) set of software canonically costs $1,000 at TL10, and is equivalent to a Fine (+2, ×20) kit of tools, I'm guessing that would indicate $5,000 (at TL9 - $50,000). Not bad for a glorified spreadsheet. (I kid, I kid. I understand such software is no laughing matter.)
Well, it's kind of limited in a way despite the price - you have to have a computer to use it. And the time. And power. And so on. And $5,000 is a LOT for a program, not even taking into account the Complexity bump which means you have to have a better computer (which is very costly).

Become a Patron!
Old 06-09-2014, 11:49 AM   #8
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
5,000 is a LOT for a program
Trivial for custom software, though, or a prototype analogous to the things GodBeastX was mentioning. That's a couple of programmer-weeks. Software only gets cheap when you can sell the same program to a lot of people. But then, that's presumably the average software for the TL, not the best possible (especially in cinematic gaming terms).
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:57 AM   #9
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Trivial for custom software, though, or a prototype analogous to the things GodBeastX was mentioning. That's a couple of programmer-weeks. Software only gets cheap when you can sell the same program to a lot of people. But then, that's presumably the average software for the TL, not the best possible (especially in cinematic gaming terms).
Interesting. Could you elaborate please (with examples or anecdotes if you have them). I'm not saying you aren't right, I'd just like more information. :-)

Become a Patron!
Old 06-09-2014, 11:59 AM   #10
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

I'd look at the bonus the program provided to the skill and build it with points, properly limited. So if it's +5 to Computer Hacking, 20 points or so. You're essentially buying unrestricted access to something that's not generally available for cash. Sounds like a textbook case of "just model it with points".

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
best for your tl, equipment, quality, signature gear