Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-05-2013, 05:27 AM   #11
DangerousThing

Default Re: Psi: What can you do with an astral accessory?

As I read it, the Accessory perk is only for non weapon items. It's so you can always have a small penknife or flashlight when you need it, not so you can sneak guns past customs.

If one of my players took a gun as an astral accessory, I'd allow it (after first telling him that i would rather he didn't and that it's a bad idea). However on the astral plane it wouldn't shoot.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:47 AM   #12
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
As I read it, the Accessory perk is only for non weapon items. It's so you can always have a small penknife or flashlight when you need it, not so you can sneak guns past customs.

If one of my players took a gun as an astral accessory, I'd allow it (after first telling him that i would rather he didn't and that it's a bad idea). However on the astral plane it wouldn't shoot.
Depending on the type of game it is, I might say 'Sure, you can have a gun, but if you want bullets, you have to pay two points for each bullet (one for Signature Gear, one for Astral Accessory), and the points are lost once you fire it,' (which would most likely result in the players taking the hint, and not buying Astral Accessory for that purpose). That, of course, is only for the sort of setting where guns in the Astral would be out-of-genre. I'd be inclined to allow swords and such as Astral Accessories, or bows and arrows, more-so than I would guns and bullets (e.g. you can pay one point for each bullet, and it's lost when used, or you can pay one point for a full quiver of identical arrows, and it refills every time you leave your Material Body), but it really very much depends on the setting.

I'd base damage on Will, or perhaps on Astral Travel and/or Astral Projection Talent in some way, rather than on strength, or on the normal damage for a mundane firearm. If the Astral Sword ability also exists, though, it will have some significant advantages over the much cheaper option (or Astral Accessory simply wouldn't be allowed for weapons). Likewise, I might allow an Astral Only version of ranged Innate Attacks, if the players really want to have the option of ranged Astral combat. One of my ideas for the Astral Plane is that you simply can't fight there, in the manner you fight in the material realm, unless you're using telepathy (and maybe not even then - maybe it's all social engineering).

I'd also allow Astral Accessory without Signature Gear, for accessories that only exist on the Astral Plane, weapons or otherwise.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Depending on the type of game it is, I might say 'Sure, you can have a gun, but if you want bullets, you have to pay two points for each bullet (one for Signature Gear, one for Astral Accessory), and the points are lost once you fire it,'
Wouldn't the rules for Consumable Signature Gear be appropriate here.

At any rate I don't really see the abuse. You have to have the item. It's restricted in the same ways that gear in the real world does and it may or may not be subject to wonky Astral physics on top of that. Getting a motorbike or a MBT or the USS Nimitz is prohibitively expensive in terms of Signature Gear plus ST or Payload (and really you can say, "Yes you can have anything as an Astral Accessory but you aren't allowed to buy Payload to get around the BL restriction in this game.").

So sure you can have your trusty .45s. Of course you can have bullets too! That's going to cost you at least 4 points though. This doesn't mean guns work everywhere in the Astral Plane, and it doesn't mean that they won't be a problem in Inner Realms with legal or supernatural gun control...
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #14
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
Accessory is, but keeping a weapon with you in an alternate realm is more like Signature Gear than Accessory, despite the name used.

Although I'd note that both of these examples, the gun and motorbike, are likely to be pretty useless on most versions of the Astral, where distances and times tend not to work right. Missiles tend not to move once they leave your hand, even if you can see far enough to make them worthwhile, and things are separated by times more than distances - a vehicle mostly doesn't get you anywhere out of sight faster than walking.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #15
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
Just wanna be clear here: I can take a gun as signature gear, for a point, and make it an astral accessory, for a point, and inflict far more damage at far longer range than I could with a much more expensive Astral Sword ability, right? Or I could take a motorbike as an astral accessory and increase my spying radius more than a more expensive astral celerity ability, right? The accessory isn't merely cosmetic but works on the astral plane the same way it would in the real world. Is that the intent of the perk?

GEF
As pointed out by others, you'd have be superhumanly strong to have your motorcycle. But yes, you could have a gun if you have a real fetishistic attachment to one. However the Astral Sword does have some advantages. One is that it would be impossible to reload the astral gun without leaving the astral plane. Reloads are NOT eligible to be Signature gear. Also you only need to inflict 1/3 the opponents hit points, to banish them with the sword while the astral gun has to take the opponent's hit points below zero and then have them fail a consciousness or death check.

And if the situation arose, I'd let Astral Swords use Parry Missile to parry astral gun rounds in the astral planes (they move slower there) because I have a pro-sword prejudice.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #16
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Reloads are NOT eligible to be Signature gear.
Where does it say that? Isn't ammunition exactly the sort of thing covered by Consumable Signature Gear?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #17
David Johnston2

Could be, but I don't remember ever reading about Consumable Signature Gear.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #18
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Could be, but I don't remember ever reading about Consumable Signature Gear.
Shows up in Supers, on pg 81, and is referenced in Loadouts - Monster Hunters.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:47 AM   #19
Gef

Thanks for all the input, especially the reminder that ranged weapons may not work well in distorted space.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
astral, astral accessory, signature gear