Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #1
Gef

Default Psi: What can you do with an astral accessory?

Just wanna be clear here: I can take a gun as signature gear, for a point, and make it an astral accessory, for a point, and inflict far more damage at far longer range than I could with a much more expensive Astral Sword ability, right? Or I could take a motorbike as an astral accessory and increase my spying radius more than a more expensive astral celerity ability, right? The accessory isn't merely cosmetic but works on the astral plane the same way it would in the real world. Is that the intent of the perk?

GEF
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: Psi: What can you do with an astral accessory?

In a Psionic Powers campaign, you could do any of those things if your GM allows it. It doesn't seem to be the default assumption, just based on the existence of those mentioned abilities.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
Gef

I'm the GM, trying to decide what to allow, trying to understand the author's intent. Is it cosmetic, like shtick?
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
I'm the GM, trying to decide what to allow, trying to understand the author's intent. Is it cosmetic, like shtick?
I'm fairly sure that the Astral Accessory is supposed to do something. Otherwise what's the point. I don't really see a balance issue. It's gear, so it can be lost, stolen, broken, and so on. It's also inconvenient sometimes. There might be laws governing the ownership of Astral Accessories in certain Astral Realms.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
There might be laws governing the ownership of Astral Accessories in certain Astral Realms.
Walking into the Faerie Mist bearing a weapon of iron to their retreat from the world would be quite the learning experience, I'm sure. For example.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Walking into the Faerie Mist bearing a weapon of iron to their retreat from the world would be quite the learning experience, I'm sure. For example.
Sure, and you might need a drivers license for your motorbike in Utopia (of course Utopian DMV lines are always no-waiting!).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:48 PM   #7
Miles

The gun and the motorbike are both going to run out of ammo/fuel, which can serve as a limiting factor.
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:16 AM   #8
the_matrix_walker

IIRC there is a strict weight limit (BL or something) that would prevent a motorcycle as an option.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:15 AM   #9
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
I'd say mostly cosmetic, but that's JMO. PK is approachable... you might want to PM him if you're interested in what his actual intent was for the Perk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I'm fairly sure that the Astral Accessory is supposed to do something. Otherwise what's the point. I don't really see a balance issue. It's gear, so it can be lost, stolen, broken, and so on. It's also inconvenient sometimes. There might be laws governing the ownership of Astral Accessories in certain Astral Realms.
From my perspective, the Perk is to just allow for minor items to be carried along with your astral body, but not such stuff as would impinge on other's niches, or negatively affect suspension of disbelief. If someone wanted to use the Perk to carry their Signature handgun while astrally projecting in one of my games, I'd be disinclined to allow it, but of course, other GM's games will vary. The gear is Signature Gear, and so has some protection from permanent loss. The Perk allows you to circumvent the 'no equipment' inherent limitation of Astral Travel. Gear is not as big a deal when projecting, given the other advantages conveyed by the ability, which also makes me think that it (Astral Accessory) is mostly just for show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
IIRC there is a strict weight limit (BL or something) that would prevent a motorcycle as an option.
Yes. BL or less for each accessory, and every piece of SG needs its own AA Perk to be carried with you.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:23 AM   #10
Daigoro

Quote:
Just wanna be clear here: I can take a gun as signature gear, for a point, and make it an astral accessory, for a point, and inflict far more damage at far longer range than I could with a much more expensive Astral Sword ability, right? Or I could take a motorbike as an astral accessory and increase my spying radius more than a more expensive astral celerity ability, right? The accessory isn't merely cosmetic but works on the astral plane the same way it would in the real world. Is that the intent of the perk?

GEF
Isn't this basically the same dynamic between gear and powers as in the real world?

As a GM, just keep in mind that if the PCs can carry guns into the astral plane, then the bad guys can too, i.e. don't let the power operate in a vacuum.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
astral, astral accessory, signature gear