Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 09:09 PM   #11
Gavinfoxx
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Default Re: Help with Character planning and optimization and tactics?

Looking at the martial arts books where it talks about the styles and stuff, LOTS of weird techniques seem interesting...


Feint (Shield)
Feint (Broadsword)
Retain Weapon (Broadsword)
Targeted Attack (Broadsword Thrust - Vitals)
Targeted Attack (Broadsword Thrust - Vitals chinks)
Targeted Attack (Broadsword Swing - Arm)
Counterattack (Broadsword)
Disarming (Broadsword)
Bind Weapon (Broadsword)
Armed Grapple (Shield)
Trip

As you can see, this is wayyyy unmanageable. I need a few, simple things to focus on! Maybe some help figuring out what is, you know, generally good strategy in general, to get the most use out of the smallest number of 'Techniques'?

Maybe someone could help me with some simple things to do, so I can have an idea how to USE the stuff in this martial arts book, and plan out how I am going to react in fights?

Like, some, "In this scenario, do this. In this scenario, do this..." sort of thing?
Gavinfoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:21 PM   #12
Ulzgoroth
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Default Re: Help with Character planning and optimization and tactics?

My first suggestion would be go with fundamentals. If you're that overwhelmed, you don't need all those techniques complicating things. A sturdy shield, good armor, a strong arm, and a healthy level of Broadsword skill will work fine without any addons. Toss in some Knife to use a backup weapon, and carry at least a couple of them. Be sure to pick up Shield Wall if you use a large shield. Use whichever defense is most effective at the time, except don't Dodge and Drop unless you're sure it's ok to be on the ground.

Then pay attention to positioning, try not to let your enemies get around to your weapon side, and swing wildly with Attack maneuvers until they fall over. It's not the best possible tactics, probably, but it's not too bad either.
__________________
I don't know any 3e, so there is no chance that I am talking about 3e rules by accident.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:29 PM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: Help with Character planning and optimization and tactics?

As a Viking Huscarl your primary style choice should probably be Viking Spear Fighting (page 197), you also probably want Sword and Shield Fighting (page 199). As far as how to fight like a stylist read the descriptions of Sojustu and Viking Spear Fighting on pages 197-198 and the description of Sword and Shield Fighting. Martial Arts is pretty good at describing how a stylist fights down to the specific Manuevers chosen. Also, it's only worth raising a couple of techniques per skill, compared to raising the skill as a whole, so pick a couple of iconic moves that your character is especially good at for each style and use those.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:29 PM   #14
Gavinfoxx
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Default Re: Help with Character planning and optimization and tactics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
My first suggestion would be go with fundamentals. If you're that overwhelmed, you don't need all those techniques complicating things. A sturdy shield, good armor, a strong arm, and a healthy level of Broadsword skill will work fine without any addons. Toss in some Knife to use a backup weapon, and carry at least a couple of them. Be sure to pick up Shield Wall if you use a large shield. Use whichever defense is most effective at the time, except don't Dodge and Drop unless you're sure it's ok to be on the ground.

Then pay attention to positioning, try not to let your enemies get around to your weapon side, and swing wildly with Attack maneuvers until they fall over. It's not the best possible tactics, probably, but it's not too bad either.
Well, I just need some time to study some stuff, is all, and figure out some of the 'right' thing to do. I already figured out that, if I'm blocking with the shield all the time, there's no reason not to use Committed Attack, right?
Gavinfoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:30 PM   #15
Gavinfoxx
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Default Re: Help with Character planning and optimization and tactics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
You've also just got too many Techniques floating around. ... Techniques are good for one or two favorite tricks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
so pick a couple of iconic moves that your character is especially good at for each style and use those.
Could someone please help me with this part? Please? That's what I'm having a bit of trouble with!

Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 03-22-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Gavinfoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:32 PM   #16
BaHalus
 
BaHalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Belém, Pará, Amazônia, Brasil.
Default Re: Help with Character planning and optimization and tactics?

Perks are included in the 30 points limit?

You could take some combat perks.
There are a bunch of interesting ones in PU2: Perks

You could take high pain thresold, Combat reflexes and 5 combat perks if they are included in the limit.
BaHalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:38 PM   #17
Ulzgoroth
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Default Re: Help with Character planning and optimization and tactics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
Well, I just need some time to study some stuff, is all, and figure out some of the 'right' thing to do. I already figured out that, if I'm blocking with the shield all the time, there's no reason not to use Committed Attack, right?
That only gives you one good defense per turn, if that. The shield can only be used once (or is at a cumulative -5 subsequently, which is about the same thing). You can't retreat, so your Dodge isn't much good, and you can't parry. And you've got -2 to block and dodge in the bargain.

So...no, there's very good reasons not to use Committed Attack, unless the benefits make a big difference.
__________________
I don't know any 3e, so there is no chance that I am talking about 3e rules by accident.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:38 PM   #18
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: Help with Character planning and optimization and tactics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
Could someone please help me with this part? Please? That's what I'm having a bit of trouble with!
Look at the techniques listed for Viking Spear Fighting (which points you to Sojutsu). Pick two (I'd recommend Feint and Targeted Attack (Vitals) if you really want to fight like a classic Stylist). Do the same for Sword and Shield Fighting (of which there are only two techniques).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #19
Gavinfoxx
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Default Re: Help with Character planning and optimization and tactics?

Okay, I just popped off an email to the... what acronym do you use for the guy running it here? GM? About the restrictions, asking for a very very detailed summary of what the restrictions on character generation are and are not for this game. It might be that I made a bit of a mistake!

Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 03-22-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Gavinfoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:49 PM   #20
Gavinfoxx
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Default Re: Help with Character planning and optimization and tactics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
That only gives you one good defense per turn, if that. The shield can only be used once (or is at a cumulative -5 subsequently, which is about the same thing). You can't retreat, so your Dodge isn't much good, and you can't parry. And you've got -2 to block and dodge in the bargain.

So...no, there's very good reasons not to use Committed Attack, unless the benefits make a big difference.
What is the way I can defend myself more than once and attack at the same turn, in general?

Everyone In my game seems to think you can either defend/attack, defend/defend/ or attack/attack, right? Like if your main way of defense is block, you can use your shield once vs one attack if you are hitting the other guy?
Gavinfoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
assistance, martial arts, optimization, shield, swordfighting

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.