Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 11-26-2023, 11:47 PM   #1
b-dog

Default I smell a rat adventure

I am now playing this adventure with my son who is playing for the first time. The write up for the rooms in this adventure are very well done and very useful. (More dungeon room write ups like this would be useful). Since this adventure is for my son and his first time playing, I think setting the power level at 62 points would be a good idea so that he can learn how to play and use the rules because the 250 point character is just too much IMO.

Anyway, I have changed some things in the adventure. First the setting is a small village where the PCs are looking for adventure. They find an angry guy at the tavern and they are approached by him. His name is Azlo and he tells them he will meet the party by the river at midnight. At that time he requests the PCs to bring back a large sapphire for him that has been in his family for generations. Azlo gives the PCs a map of where the sapphire is. He tells the PCs it was stolen.

After the meeting the PCs go to bed to get a fresh start. Azlo looks nervous and walks off into the woods. Later there is screaming and Azlo is found dead and a large flying creature can be seen.

The PCs must deal with Azlo and then go on their trek.

The temple is located at an old ruined keep on a forested hill. There is a stone gargoyle that can transform to a living monster that will attack the PCs. This is what killed Azlo and what also kidnaps the townspeople from time to time for sacrifices. The stairs down to the 1st room match up with the adventure but the spiders are much weaker and less.

The temple part with the peshkali will be changed to a minor demon with a human head and snake body.

The zombie room will be the same as in the adventure.

The prison room will have sacrifice victims instead of monsters.

There will be a magic research room where the PCs will find out that Azlo was a temple wizard but was forced to give his sapphire energy reserve stone as an offering to a demon lord which the evil cleric is now holding onto.

Merle is changed into an evil priest named Mazdaal who serves the demon lord Urzgruul who is a cambian that has a frail form that appears human with demonic features. He can cast magical spells in his frail form but he also has a monstrous demonic form where he looks like a pit fiend but can not cast spells because in that form he is entirely consumed by rage and destruction.

The evil cleric Mazdaal took Azloís sapphire because Urgruulís affinity for magic in his frail form and felt it would be a good sacrifice. The sapphire is kept below the altar and the key is held by Mazdaal.

Anyway, this adventure has a ton of uses for me even though I have changed a lot of things. I think that having room stats is a good thing.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 04:41 AM   #2
namada

Default Re: I smell a rat adventure

All of that seems like a change for the better to me, whether you're running it for 62 points or 250 points, I like the story change you've done. Are you planning on running the sequel, Against the Rat-men? If so, I'd be interested in hearing about your changes to that adventure.
Warning: I have several neurological disorders. If I post something that makes no sense, or seems offensive to you, please just let me know & I'll try to clarify what I was thinking at that moment, which did not come out in the post...

Thanks for understanding & helping.
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 08:48 AM   #3
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by namada View Post
All of that seems like a change for the better to me, whether you're running it for 62 points or 250 points, I like the story change you've done. Are you planning on running the sequel, Against the Rat-men? If so, I'd be interested in hearing about your changes to that adventure.
I donít have that book yet. I will look into it. Do you think it could be used by goblin-kin, trolls and ogres? The demon lord Urzgruul is a sort of demonic leader to them. He was the son of the witch Salussa the Beautiful who had hoped to seduce a powerful demon lord to sire her son Urzgruul but she was betrayed when a demon servant was sent to sire her son instead. From the beginning Urzgruul was a disappointment, he was weak and frail and he had nowhere near the magical ability of his mother so she abandoned him. Urzgruul made his way around the world trying to learn magic. His frustration grew and grew as did his hatred until in a rage he transformed into an image of his father a demonic servant that appeared like a pit fiend with goat horns. In this form he was able to inspire the forces of the goblin kin, ogres and trolls. With this new power Urzgruul was able make powerful magic items to compensate for his weak magical power. And he is trying to unite covens of witches and wizards and evil clerics to join forces with the goblinkin, trolls and ogres who revere him as a champion. The frail form is that of a human with goat horns, red eyes and fangs. His lower body has goat legs too and he has leathery bat wings on his back. In this form he uses his magic items to cast spells. His symbol is a goat head inside a pentagram.
Old 11-27-2023, 12:42 PM   #4
b-dog

Azlo:
125 point wizard that has a pact with Urzgruul. This allows Urzgruul to watch Azlo and make sure he does not betray him. Azlo has a map to the dungeon in a black leather pouch. There is an inscription on the pouch of a goat head in a pentagram. This could be useful on the way to the temple in the Broken Lands because there is an orc nest that serves Urzgruul there in his pit fiend aspect. They will allow the party safe passage to the party. The orcs nest has been raiding travelers to get food and also magic items for the temple. They will leave out the magic items on a pole along with a sacrifice. At night a gargoyle will carry them back to the temple. In exchange the gargoyle with bring enchanted weapons to the orcs and goblin kin.

Azlo had a falling out with Mazdaal because Mazdaal only cares about advancing his career to gain evil clerical power. Mazdaal forced Azlo to give up his sapphire power stone to offer to Urzgruul so that Urzgruul will give Marzduul more power. The offering is now locked away in the altar. Azlo really wants this back and that is why he wants to hire adventurers to retrieve it. Unfortunately once Azlo betrays the temple he will be found out and the temple gargoyle will attack and kill him.

The town:
There is an Inn where the PCs can stay. If the PCs ask about adventures the staff will refer them to the nearby Bablyn Goblyn tavern where many adventure seekers go.

Bablyn Goblyn: here there are many rumors to be heard and adventures to meet. It is here that Azlo often drinks and searches for some adventures who might be capable of retrieve his sapphire which he had before he joined the temple. He is a pudgy man with glasses and curly balding hair. He dresses in an old robe.

The temple:

Father Constantine runs the town temple. It is equipped with an enchanted altar that is powered by high holy sanctity that allows for all of the healing abilities available in Dungeon Fantasy at the regular prices. If the temple or altar is destroyed or moved to an area that is below high holy sanctity then the altar stops functioning and Father Constantine will just have rudimentary healing abilities. Father Constantine can make embued holy water and embued holy symbols that can cause damage to all demonic and undead creatures but he charges for it.

The Sheriff

Willoughby is the town Sheriff and he is a 125 point knight. He advises the PCs to walk the straight and narrow and stay out of the Bablyn Goblyn tavern. He has four other 75 point deputies and officers to help him. They are knights as well.

Snoopy Sarah

She is an old lady who often is seen looking out her window to see what is going on. She talks to the other ladies in the town to get an idea of any rumors.

In fact Sarah has also joined the temple. She is a witch that makes potions. She has a magic cauldron that she can brew up potions rapidly as long as she has the ingredients. She has a secret glade where she brews her potions. This glade has high mana and high unholy sanctity. The cauldron will not work and lower mana and unholy sanctity levels.

Bill the Miller

Bill is just an old farmer that is now running a mill for grains. He is just a 25 point character.

The Trading Post

This is where items are traded. The owner is a 250 Scout named Yaren. He often checks magic items to make sure they function before he buys them.

Gelster is a Sage who can review magical items that clerics or wizards use.
Old 11-27-2023, 01:18 PM   #5
namada

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
I don’t have that book yet. I will look into it. Do you think it could be used by goblin-kin, trolls and ogres?
I'm going to have to go back & look at it again to answer this question. When I've done that, I'll PM you so that I don't spoil the adventure for any DFRPG players publicly.

It's going to take me at least 24 hours btw

Companion 1 is the best way to get this adventure, btw, if you want it in print.
Warning: I have several neurological disorders. If I post something that makes no sense, or seems offensive to you, please just let me know & I'll try to clarify what I was thinking at that moment, which did not come out in the post...

Last edited by namada; 11-29-2023 at 12:39 AM.
Old 11-27-2023, 04:05 PM   #6
b-dog

Quote:
I'm going to have to go back & look at it again to answer this question. When I've done that, I'll PM you so that I don't spoil the adventure for any DFRPG players publicly.

It's going to take me at least 24 hours btw

Companion 1 is the best way to get this adventure, btw, if you want it in print.
I found the pdf and I guess I could use the map but I will have to change all of the encounters.
Old 11-28-2023, 05:29 PM   #7
restlessgriffin

Quote:
I am now playing this adventure with my son who is playing for the first time. The write up for the rooms in this adventure are very well done and very useful. (More dungeon room write ups like this would be useful). Since this adventure is for my son and his first time playing, I think setting the power level at 62 points would be a good idea so that he can learn how to play and use the rules because the 250 point character is just too much IMO.

Anyway, I have changed some things in the adventure. First the setting is a small village where the PCs are looking for adventure. They find an angry guy at the tavern and they are approached by him. His name is Azlo and he tells them he will meet the party by the river at midnight. At that time he requests the PCs to bring back a large sapphire for him that has been in his family for generations. Azlo gives the PCs a map of where the sapphire is. He tells the PCs it was stolen.

Anyway, this adventure has a ton of uses for me even though I have changed a lot of things. I think that having room stats is a good thing.
I'm wondering how this is anything like the "I Smell a Rat". The point scale, setup, and most of the details are very different. I'd think you should just go with an entirely new adventure and scrap the idea of using "I Smell a Rat" adventure. You could then use ISaR once his character is in the 250 pt range.
restlessgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 08:22 PM   #8
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessgriffin View Post
I'm wondering how this is anything like the "I Smell a Rat". The point scale, setup, and most of the details are very different. I'd think you should just go with an entirely new adventure and scrap the idea of using "I Smell a Rat" adventure. You could then use ISaR once his character is in the 250 pt range.
I am using the maps and the structural information (HP and DR)in the adventure book. Plus I am using the little figures on the maps.
Old 11-29-2023, 12:46 AM   #9
namada

Quote:
I found the pdf and I guess I could use the map but I will have to change all of the encounters.
Well, I was on the verge of going to bed when I replied last, so thankfully you figured things out without me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessgriffin View Post
Maps are useful?
I mean, that's the best argument for this change in point levels & whatnot, it's just a much better "story" than the one presented in the original adventure...?

Old 12-01-2023, 08:12 AM   #10
restlessgriffin

Quote:
Well, I was on the verge of going to bed when I replied last, so thankfully you figured things out without me.

Maps are useful?
I mean, that's the best argument for this change in point levels & whatnot, it's just a much better "story" than the one presented in the original adventure...?
The maps are beautiful but one of the worst features of ISAR. Instead of showing where hidden features like traps are on just the adventure listing, they put them directly on the full size map. Horrible design! So I guess if you mean the maps are useful and you are OK with redrawing them then I see your point. However, as is you need to come up with some cover up terrain features in order to hide things. Then you need to add in some bogus cover ups so it isn't obvious whenever PCs encounter hidden features.
restlessgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote