Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-02-2019, 09:41 AM   #1
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default GURPS Prime Directive

And while I'm bending everyone's ear about things like the Dungeon Fantasy Magic Items 2 Kickstarter and the latest GURPS News . . .

Our good friends at Amarillo Design Bureau have released GURPS Prime Directive 4e Revised on Warehouse 23. You can pick up just Volume 1: Creating a Character, just Volume 2: Playing the Game, or the whole kit and caboodle.

Store Links:
Volume 1: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/ADB8406
Volume 2: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/ADB8407
Volumes 1 & 2: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/ADB8405
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:50 AM   #2
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Default Re: GURPS Prime Directive

Sadly, if it's SFB-era, it's not going to contain my favorite aliens (the Trill).

Though it MIGHT contain my favorite felinoids, the Kzinti (who do NOT wear pink spacesuits...). If so, how does their story compare to the Man-Kzinti Wars?
Old 09-02-2019, 10:22 AM   #3
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post

Sadly, if it's SFB-era, it's not going to contain my favorite aliens (the Trill).
GURPS Prime Directive is set in the Star Fleet Universe, based on Star Fleet Battles, which in turn contains elements of the original Star Trek series (ST: TOS). It isn't strictly speaking a Star Trek product, and its license doesn't encompass ST in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post

Though it MIGHT contain my favorite felinoids, the Kzinti (who do NOT wear pink spacesuits...). If so, how does their story compare to the Man-Kzinti Wars?
The Kzinti are there, complete with racial templates. I can't comment on how the GURPS Prime Directive version of the Kzinti stacks up against the version Niven wrote into ST: TAS, or how much either has in common with the version in his Known Space material. I'm not an expert on any of the three.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:25 AM   #4
Jean_Sexton

Kzintis are included in our book; however, they have no real resemblance to Larry Niven's Kzin other than they are felinoid.

One of the changes in this book is that I fleshed out the species who inhabit the Inter-Stellar Concordium. Now rather than saying in effect "The ISC has lizards, too!" the Pronhoulites have enough background information to actually play them.

Our contract with Paramount only allows us access to TOS and TAS and then only what we've used already. So you are correct, no Trill are in our books.
Jean_Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:51 AM   #5
ravenfish

What's been changed compared to the various non-revised GURPS 4e Prime Directive books?
Old 09-02-2019, 12:11 PM   #6
Jean_Sexton

The story didn't change except for proofreading corrections.

Chapter 1: The empire information was moved to be with the species. There the information for the ISC was expanded.

Chapter 2: There is more GURPS information on creating a character and it is presented more along the lines of what GURPS players expect in the way of formatting and tables. Point values changed for Cygnans, Andorians, Ethnic Klingon warriors, Hilidarians, Kzintis, Gorns, Orions (the background information changed to be for the species, not what they did as for a job), Andromedan (no point change, but descriptions of the robots were enhanced), Ranel, Phelen, Veltressai (no point change, but background was greatly enhanced with two total paragraphs becoming seven), Q'Naabians (background corrected and enhanced with one paragraph becoming four), Pronhoulites (and background expanded from a paragraph to six), Rovillians (and background expanded from two paragraphs to seven), Korlivilar (and background expanded from one paragraph to three), Seltorian Queens (and background expanded from two paragraphs to four), Seltorian Sages, Seltorian Experts, Jindarians, Vudar, Paravians, and Carnivons. Height and weight table was added. Templates were corrected (Star Fleet Academy, Federation Marine Academy, Federation Marine Boot Camp, and Merchant Marine Academy) or added (Star Fleet Basic Training, Galactic Intelligence Agency Academy, Federation Marshals Service Academy, and "Shake and Bake School") The only one that was untouched was the Merchant Marine Basic Training.

Chapter 3: Advantages and Disadvantages reflect GURPS move away from classifying them by type. The chapter grew from 31 pages to 65.

Chapter 4: Skills. This section grew from 14 pages to 38. All skills mentioned in the templates are included. It also includes GURPS information about skills.

Chapter 5: How to Play. This section includes most of the rules you need to actually play the game. It expanded from 25 pages to 64. The section on Interspecies Medicine was moved to this chapter from Technology.

Chapter 6: End Game Awards. More GURPS information was added about developing the character. Medals were included with the text about them. Defender of Life was added.

Chapter 7: Technology. The list "Technology Availability by Empire" was greatly expanded from about half a column to over a column. The non-standard Technical Skill Specializations disappeared with the description of the technology now explaining what skill is needed to operate it. Shipboard equipment expanded from three pages to over seven. Weapons tables now look like GURPS tables and include weapons that adventurers might encounter that are more primitive.

Chapter 8: The Star Fleet Universe. Let's Play Federation Commander is added. Standard Planetary Classes now include Class T. Circle Trigon is now accurately placed on the Romulan-Gorn-ISC Neutral Zone. Using SFB for Space Combat is expanded to include Federation Commander. A short section titled Commercial Passenger Service was added.

Chapter 9: Space Combat actually has the GURPS statistics for and rules on fighting. Descriptions and stats for the standard large freighter, Free Trader, security skiff, Federation heavy cruiser, Klingon D7 battlecruiser, Romulan War Eagle, Kzinti command cruiser, Gorn Allosaurus Battlecruiser, Tholian patrol corvette, Orion Pirate light cruiser, and the standard administrative shuttlecraft are included. To help people visualize where things are on the ship, Federation Commander ship cards are used. A section on "Customized Civilian Ships" was added.

Chapter 10: The sample characters now have the skills they should and the point value has been adjusted accordingly.

The index now has an additional section that is titled SELECTED TABLES, MAPS, AND CHARTS that should be useful for players and GMs. Since the book is longer, the index is also longer.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:26 PM   #7
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
What's been changed compared to the various non-revised GURPS 4e Prime Directive books?
Hopefully they used the 4e TL scale and explained why they went with the TL they did choose. ;-)
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:31 PM   #8
Jean_Sexton

Hopefully they used the 4e TL scale and explained why they went with the TL they did choose. ;-) ...

From the book ...

This Tech Level Chart shows the progression of technological development in the Star Fleet Universe. It is exactly the same as the standard GURPS tech level chart for TL0 (Stone Age) through TL6 (the Mechanized Age). At TL7 and above it deviates from the “generic” GURPS tech levels to show the way technology developed in this particular universe. Items in Italics are SFU specific. For example, in this game’s universe, transporter technology is common at TL9, but the standard GURPS definition is TL15 (matter transmission). This is a major strength of the GURPS system; each universe can build its own history.

+++

Jean
Old 09-02-2019, 01:07 PM   #9
Phantasm

Hmm... referencing the GURPS 3e Tech Level progression that went up to 16 rather than the GURPS 4e TL progression which only goes up to 12, with ^ for superscience tech like transporters, warp drive, omniscanners (i.e. tricorders), and force screens.

Did you consider referencing the 4e TL progression?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 01:43 PM   #10
Jean_Sexton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Did you consider referencing the 4e TL progression?
My thoughts were that this is designed to be a standalone book. If someone wants to bring in more GURPS information, that person most likely has the GURPS Basic Set books and already knows if he wants to reference them.

This book isn't meant to replace GURPS Basic Set so there is much more detail in those books that isn't in ours. I also don't include every chart and table that those books have -- just the ones that directly apply to Prime Directive.

EDIT: However, I missed that old 3e reference. I'll change it in the book.

Jean