Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-24-2021, 11:24 PM   #1
Phantasm

Default Need Help Statting a Magical Interdimensional Teleport Cloak

What I have for the description reads:
The cloak can be used to teleport the wearer and up to four other people through another dimension to any place on Earth. The wearer is not able to use the cloak to teleport inside places warded by magic. The cloak is reportedly able to travel to most other dimensions, though this is as yet unconfirmed. The teleport may not be instantaneous, and the wearer and any passengers may use the dimension connected to the cloak as a kind of way-station, remaining indefinitely if they so choose.
Is this Warp, Jumper, or both, and what kinds of modifiers would I need? I'm leaning to Mental Carrying Capacity (Supers, p. 29) combined with Modified Capacity (Static) (Psionic Powers, p. 18), but I'm not sure that's legal since Modified Capacity as written is meant for Exoteleport.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 12:07 AM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Need Help Statting a Magical Interdimensional Teleport Cloak

It's both warp and jump, with an additional (not priced AFAIK) benefit of 'has a personal pocket dimension'
Old 11-25-2021, 12:23 AM   #3
Taneli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
What I have for the description reads:
The cloak can be used to teleport the wearer and up to four other people through another dimension to any place on Earth. The wearer is not able to use the cloak to teleport inside places warded by magic. The cloak is reportedly able to travel to most other dimensions, though this is as yet unconfirmed. The teleport may not be instantaneous, and the wearer and any passengers may use the dimension connected to the cloak as a kind of way-station, remaining indefinitely if they so choose.
Is this Warp, Jumper, or both, and what kinds of modifiers would I need? I'm leaning to Mental Carrying Capacity (Supers, p. 29) combined with Modified Capacity (Static) (Psionic Powers, p. 18), but I'm not sure that's legal since Modified Capacity as written is meant for Exoteleport.
Warp is for intra-dimensional travel, and Jumper is for extra-dimensional travel, so you would need both, unless there is something like a common "travel dimension" in your setting where people go for other reasons and it also happens to shorten the effective travel time in the main dimension.
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 02:51 AM   #4
the_matrix_walker

I would build the teleportation/Jumper abilities based on an Affliction with the Afflicted Advantage enhancement. You can use the alternate enhancement rules to swap between warp and jumper. Area Effect sidesteps the need to worry about carrying capacity. Add gadget limitations since it's a cloak.

I did a private pocket dimension for one of my players once upon a time, by using the Headquarters rules in Supers with +100% for magical/superscience traits.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 12:42 PM   #5
Crystalline_Entity

There's Jumper (Pocket Dimension) in Pyramid 3/63 Infinite Worlds II . So I think what you'd want as Jumper (World) and Jumper (Pocket Dimension) and Warp, possibly as alternate abilities of each other.

You'd probably want similar enhancements and limitations for all three; carrying four extra people is going to be "Affects Others 4, +200%" I think, as per Power-Ups 4: Enhancements.

Bear in mind that the activation time for Jumper and warp are not the same - and they have different methods of modifiying the activation time too ("Faster Concentration" for Jumper compared with "Reliable" to cancel the skill penalty for Warp). Remember "Improved, +10%" to avoid the auto-fail on a 14+, too.

Teleporting to any place on Earth might involve a large penalty to the skill roll, which can be bought off by using FP, more preparation time, and Reliable. Penalties and FP costs for Jumper are left up to the GM in Basic, examples are given in Infinite Worlds though, depending on the number of quanta you're crossing.
Crystalline_Entity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 03:49 PM   #6
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalline_Entity View Post
There's Jumper (Pocket Dimension) in Pyramid 3/63 Infinite Worlds II . So I think what you'd want as Jumper (World) and Jumper (Pocket Dimension) and Warp, possibly as alternate abilities of each other.
Page 13 of that issue actually addresses how to handle this very situation, where a character has to visit his/her Pocket Dimension to Warp. You buy both Advantages with the Warp Jump +10% Enhancement (which is basically just the +10% level of Linked), then put Only From Pocket Dimension -10% on Warp.
Old 11-26-2021, 09:11 PM   #7
Phantasm

Alright, thanks for the tips everyone.

I think I'll go ahead and make it Warp, Jumper (World), and Jumper (Pocket Dimension) as Alternative Abilities of each other, with Affects Others on all of them.

One thing I did notice was that Reliable was available for Jumper as well as Warp, though Faster Concentration was cheaper for much the same benefit. I'm not expecting combat time teleporting; the combat time use will be Snatcher instead (a different aspect of the cloak).

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 02:03 AM   #8
Crystalline_Entity

This sounds like it might end up being a very expensive ability; you could maybe reduce the cost by swapping "Affects Others 4, +200%" with "Tunnel, +40%".

That does mean enemies could follow you through the tunnel (or go the other way, if the GM rules it's a two-way tunnel), and the 3d duration might result in insufficient time for your four friends to go through after you if you're unlucky in the roll (maybe "Fixed Duration, +0%" would remove this?).

I'm curious what the final build looks like though if you fancy sharing!
Crystalline_Entity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 03:50 AM   #9
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalline_Entity View Post
This sounds like it might end up being a very expensive ability; you could maybe reduce the cost by swapping "Affects Others 4, +200%" with "Tunnel, +40%".

That does mean enemies could follow you through the tunnel (or go the other way, if the GM rules it's a two-way tunnel), and the 3d duration might result in insufficient time for your four friends to go through after you if you're unlucky in the roll (maybe "Fixed Duration, +0%" would remove this?).

I'm curious what the final build looks like though if you fancy sharing!
Phantasm has stated the Jumper and Warp abilities aren't intended for use in combat, so an enemy following is unlikely, particularly with Fixed Duration (with a 10 second Tunnel, the enemy would have very little time to get out of hiding and into the tunnel before it closed; even without Fixed Duration, 18 seconds may not be enough time... also the characters could take standard precautions anytime they use the Tunnel - get through, turn around and aim weapons at the opening until it closes; you could even have cover setup for them to crouch behind). Of course, Fixed Duration may not be necessary - unless I'm mistaken, you can traverse a Tunnel just as quickly as a doorway, and 4 people (the timer starts after the first creates the Tunnel) going through a doorway in 3 seconds is readily achievable, particularly if they queue up beforehand (Waits, although you generally don't need to use Maneuvers outside of combat-time).

As for the build itself, if you intend this to be able to serve as a waystation, there are a few Enhancements to consider. Larger Size (+10%/level) will be needed so they don't have to basically pile on top of each other to sleep - by default, your pocket dimension is only about as large as a small bedroom (equivalent to a Status -2 dwelling). I'd suggest 2 levels (for a house/large apartment-sized pocket dimension).

For characters to remain there indefinitely, they'll need food and water. I'd be inclined to provide the latter for free (most dwellings have ready access to water), but for the former you'd need either stocked supplies or the Matter Creation Enhancement on Jumper (Pocket Dimension). Of course, that Enhancement allows you to create literally anything, so just creating food should be a lot cheaper. Create only allows up to a Large Category for [60]; if we assume Create (Anything) is worth [100]* (comparable to Snatcher), this means (considering +70% is [+70]) the matter ceasing to exist upon exiting the pocket dimension is equivalent to a -30% Limitation on Create. Food is probably a Small Category (roughly comparable to Fossil Fuels), with a base cost of [10] and thus making Matter Creation (Food Only) a +7% Enhancement.

Arguably, because food canonically takes 3 days to be fully digested, eating nothing but Created food is going to result in being famished when you leave (assuming a constant rate of absorption, someone who has eaten nothing but Created food for 3+ days would count as having missed around 4 meals). Realistically, within only a few hours (once food reaches the large intestine) you've typically absorbed most of the energy and nutrients; so, only count the most recent meal, and if it was Created, count the character as due for a meal upon exiting the pocket dimension - so long as he or she eats a real meal - optionally, one that's a bit larger than average - within an hour or two, there's no ill effect (a good option is to bring some real food with you, or have some stocked, and eat that real meal just before leaving).

*The next step in the sequence is actually [80]; if you feel this is more appropriate for Create (Anything), that makes the pocket dimension limitation worth only -12.5%. That would make Matter Creation (Food Only) a +8.75% Enhancement.