Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 10-04-2010, 01:24 PM   #31
Totem

Default Re: [OOC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talosian View Post
I'm pretty close to done, but it's taking me awhile to work out the loose ends. The exponential price increase for equipment from a higher-than-campaign-standard TL is a *profane word of your choice*
I'm willing to waive equipment costs to a certain degree if you can provide a good reason for it existing; world-jumpers can, depending on their means of travel, pick up all sorts of stuff without paying for it. I'm not willing to accept all equipment for free, but as long as it is within reason I'd rather that your character was complete than that you had trouble setting them up.

Examples of this would be equipment that was stolen (post-apoc settings might see a lot of this) or that was on loan (military hardware or from a friend) when your character went 'off the grid'. Such things would need to be justified by Social Stigma (Criminal Record), a Patron, Ally or Duty, or some other similar background traits.

The general rule is don't overdo it, but otherwise go for it. Certainly mundane items that world-jumpers pick up are going to be so hard to keep track of (especially throwing into account exchange rates between TLs: spend $20 on a cheap gold ring in a TL8 world and then tell it for $50 in a TL3 marketplace) so... You get the idea. This applies retroactively to anyone who has already put in a character sheet. If you have any specifics, then just ask.

For example: Mark-315 (as played by KS Pathfinder) has an Overwatch AI with him. This is an advanced AI intended to assist with coordination in combat and (especially in the earlier Sentinel programs) ensure that he keeps on the straight and narrow. Now the equipment cost for that AI is ridiculously high (nearly as much as the cost of enhancing and training Mark-315 himself, which he couldn't afford anyway). This is justified though by taking: a) the AI is an Ally, b) being a Sentinel is a Duty (Constant, hazardous), and c) the AI is also a Dependant. He's paying 18 points for the AI as an Ally/ Dependant and a further -20 points for being a Sentinel (Duty).

Second example: Indigo Joe has an Atlantean Compass which grants a number of abilities totalling 33 points. Normally the material cost for something like this would vary greatly depending on the setting; the original Atlanteans might have considered it an everyday thing and costed it at $200, whilst on its own as a relic of a lost civilisation it could come in at {wealth (filthy rich)} to the right buyer. Because character points are spent to buy it, it can be counted as an advantage instead of equipment, and is thus afforded a certain amount of safety at the same time (within reason naturally).
Old 10-05-2010, 09:13 AM   #32
Jerron

Still taking characters?
Jerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:17 PM   #33
Totem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerron View Post
Still taking characters?
At present we're still on four characters. I've got two people working on character sheets at the moment. If they don't make it then yes (this is first-come). Otherwise...

There will be opportunity for other players to join, however I'm sticking to an absolute limit of six for now, preferably five. If someone drops out then get in touch.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:44 PM   #34
Jerron

Thanks. I'm not going to try and make a character then, but if want to give me a PM if things open up, I'd appreciate it. I was thinking of an old-west gunslinger, if that would fit. Anyhow, I don't check this forum too regularly unless there's a reason.
Jerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:09 PM   #35
ErhnamDJ

Okay, got my sheet finished.

So frustrating to have to go through and redo all that stuff. :(
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:35 PM   #36
Talosian

Okay, time to kick into high gear.

Character sheet is practically done, I just need to convert it from the program I was using into a text format. Also need to revise his background one more time.
Talosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:50 AM   #37
Totem

The IC thread is now up here. Players are listed at the start of the OOC thread.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #38
Totem

For clarification: Pathfinder came up with his character in consultation with me; the Sentinel program was originally my invention (though Mark-315 is his own). As such I do know things about the war he was involved in than he doesn't, and yes, the man in the cafe really was a major part of the Sentinel IV program from the start.

Anyone wanting to build some of their own backstory into this (I've got one Enemy being worked in already) should let me know either in the OOC or by PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:21 PM   #39
Totem

The Gauntlet
This is OOC format information about the Gauntlet, based on the notes Ben Foreman provided

Built for Ben Foreman by a powerful race who required his help, the Gauntlet is a very powerful artefact, the full capabilities of which even Ben is unaware of after a long time using it.

The Gauntlet always fits the wearer regardless of the size or shape of their hand (the original builders needed to test it by wearing it and they didn’t have Human-shaped hands). When it is being worn it doesn’t actually feel like it is there at all, and when someone touches the metalwork it feels to the wearer like their skin is being touched.

At its most basic level the Gauntlet is metal, with a weight of 3 and a DR of 25. Any damage that exceeds this causes the Gauntlet to shatter instantly and completely; it will reform on the wearer’s hand if possible at some point within the next hour. It also has the equivalent of Blunt Claws (add +1 per die to the damage from a punch made with the Gauntlet).

The capabilities of the Gauntlet (some of them) are as follows:
  • The hand wearing the Gauntlet gains the Affect Insubstantial modifier for all melee attacks and actions; this extends to other forms of being as well
  • Psychometry – the Gauntlet can be used to ‘relive’ previous movements made by someone else’s hand (useful for breaking passwords and combination locks
  • Vision modes – joining any of the fingers with the thumb forms a circle through which different ways of seeing can be achieved; the combinations for a particular way of seeing thing vary from person to person however See Invisible, Infravision, Hypervision and several related to spectral or parallel existences are available
  • Hold Door – portals such as those used by world-jumpers or magical Gate spells can be held open with the Gauntlet; the process is not indefinite, requiring an increasingly difficult ST check
  • Detect Weirdness – the Gauntlet can be used to ‘dowse’ for weird things such as magic or holes in the world; requires an IQ roll to interpret the signs and an idea of what you are looking for
  • The Gauntlet can be used to catch things like spells/ psi bolts; it allows a Parry or catching attempt against non-substantial missile effects
  • Tactile boost – the Gauntlet will provide a skill bonus to psi powers or magic that rely on gestures or physical contact; the bonus is 1 to begin with, though an experienced wearer can get a +6 on a reasonable effort
  • Natural talents and abilities can affect the Gauntlet; individuals may develop different ways of using the Gauntlet that others cannot immediately use and some standard abilities may not be open to certain individuals

Most of the Gauntlet's abilities are activated by WILL or based on IQ

Last edited by Totem; 10-18-2010 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Additional notes
Totem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:05 AM   #40
Dorin Thorha

Quote:
[OOC: Antifogwhatic? I looked that up and ended up with an album by a group I've never heard of. In context..?]
Hard liquor. Indigo has a penchant for unusual slang, though it's not quite at quirk level.

Tags
pbp, world-jumping, worlds of fire