Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 09-01-2010, 12:08 AM   #1
Davies

Default [OOC] GURPS Dungeon Fantasy: Mystara

SEEKING ONE PLAYER, WHO MUST BE WILLING TO PLAY A CLERIC.

Current Party:
Maas Spector, Human Knight (played by Captain-Captain)
Anelas, Human Scout (played by sheldrine)
Melchior Kohler, Human Holy Warrior (played by Kuroshima)
Kip Thollen, Halfling Thief (played by Dorin Thorha)
Witiza del Resplendo Místico, Elven Elementalist (played by Sir Pudding)

This is a Dungeon Fantasy campaign set in the D&D world of Mystara, intitially the Grand Duchy of Karameikos. Don't worry too much if you're not familiar with that setting. Knowing too much may actually be a disadvantage, because I've changed quite a few things.

Your character should be built using the 150 point templates for the character archetypes from Dungeon Fantasy 1: Adventurers presented here. If you want to be a character with a mixed profession, you can start with a 100 point template from that page and a 50 point lens from Dungeon Fantasy 3: The Next Level. (One exception to that is noted further down.)

Racial templates, if any, must be bought out of the character's "extra" advantage points. The following races are available for PC use: Dwarf, High Elf, Wood Elf, Gnome, Halfling.

No evil clerics or unholy warriors, thank you. If you want to play a variant cleric or holy warrior from Dungeon Fantasy 7: Clerics, let me know and we'll work out the details privately. There are two "generic" holy deities available as patrons.

Tarastia is the Patron of Justice, worshipped as Forsetta in the Northern Reaches. Her followers must take Honesty (12) as their required disadvantage. (They rarely take Vow (Never use edged weapons) and favor the use of an axe.)

Petra is the Patron of Defense, for the most part only worshipped by the Traladarans. Her followers are required to take Sense of Duty (coreligionists) or (good entities), depending on their template. (It's more common for them to take Vow (Never use edged weapons).)

Dice Rolling by Invisible Castle; except for secret rolls by the GM, players roll all their own rolls.

Modified Template

Swashbuckler -- 100 points

Attributes: ST 10 [0]; DX 12 [40]; IQ 10 [0]; HT 11 [10].
Secondary Characteristics: Damage 1d-2/1d; BL 20 lbs.; HP 10 [0]; Will 10 [0]; Per 10 [0]; FP 11 [0]; Basic Speed 5.00 [-15]; Basic Move 6 [5].
Advantages: Remove Enhanced Parry and Luck from the template. Take only 30 points (not 60) from among the listed advantages.

(This allows for a High Elf Swashbuckler-Wizard who spends the last 10 points of advantages to bump his ST back up to 10.)

Last edited by Davies; 09-14-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:29 AM   #2
Captain-Captain

Default Re: [OOC] GURPS Dungeon Fantasy: Mystara

Name: Maas Spector
Race: Human

Attributes [84]
ST 12 [20]
DX 12 [40]
IQ 10
HT 12 [20]

HP 14 [4]
Will 10
Per 10
FP 12

Basic Lift 29
Damage 1d-1/1d+2

Basic Speed 6
Basic Move 6

Ground Move 6
Water Move 1

Social Background
TL: 3 [0]
Cultural Familiarities: Medieval (Native) [0].
Languages: Common (Native) [0].

Advantages [65]
Born War-Leader (2) [10]
Combat Reflexes [15]
High Pain Threshold [10]
Weapon Master (Swords) (a small class of weapons) [30]

Perks [1]
Weapon Bond (Backsword) [1]

Disadvantages [-50]
Code of Honor (Soldier's) [-10]
Greed (12 or less) [-15]
Miserliness (12 or less) [-10]
Overconfidence (12 or less) [-5]
Sense of Duty (Nation) [-10]

Quirks [-5]
Bowlegged [-1]
Distinctive Feature [-1]
Incompetence (Philosophy) [-1]
Nosy [-1]
Proud [-1]

Skills [55]
Armoury/TL3 (Melee Weapons) IQ/A - IQ+1 11 [4]
Brawling DX/E - DX+1 13 [2]
Broadsword DX/A - DX+6 18 [24]
Connoisseur (Weapons) IQ/A - IQ-1 9 [1]
Crossbow DX/E - DX+2 14 [4]
Fast-Draw (Sword) DX/E - DX+1 13 [1]
includes: +1 from 'Combat Reflexes'
First Aid/TL3 (Human) IQ/E - IQ+0 10 [1]
Knife DX/E - DX+1 13 [1]
Leadership IQ/A - IQ+1 11 [1]
includes: +2 from 'Born War-Leader'
Riding (Equines) DX/A - DX-1 11 [1]
Saber DX/A - DX+2 14 [1]
Shield (Buckler) DX/E - DX+2 14 [4]
Shortsword DX/A - DX+4 16 [1]
Sling DX/H - DX-1 11 [2]
Strategy (Land) IQ/H - IQ+1 11 [2]
Tactics IQ/H - IQ+1 11 [2]
Targeted Attack (Broadsword Thrust/Vitals) Tech/H - def+0 15 [0]
Timed Defense (Broadsword) Tech/H - def+0 11 [0]
Two-Handed Sword DX/A - DX+2 14 [1]
Wrestling DX/A - DX+0 12 [2]

Stats [84] Ads [65] Disads [-50] Quirks [-5] Skills [55] = Total [150]

Hand Weapons
1 Backsword LC:4 $550 Wgt:3
hilt punch Dam:1d+1 cr Reach:C Parry:11 ST: Skill:Brawling, Karate, DX Notes:[4, 5]
swing Dam:1d+5 cut Reach:1 Parry:13 ST:10 Skill:Sword!, Broadsword, DX-5, Force Sword-4, Rapier-4, Saber-4, Shortsword-2, Two-Handed Sword-4 Notes:[5]
thrust Dam:1d+2 imp Reach:1 Parry:13 ST:10 Skill:Sword!, Broadsword, DX-5, Force Sword-4, Rapier-4, Saber-4, Shortsword-2, Two-Handed Sword-4
1 Light Buckler LC:4 $25 Wgt:2
Dam:1d-1 cr Reach:1 Parry:No ST: Skill:DX-4, Shield-2, Shield (Buckler) Notes:[2,3,4]
1 Long Knife LC:4 $120 Wgt:1.5
knife swing Dam:1d+2 cut Reach:C, 1 Parry:10 ST:7 Skill:Sword!, Knife, DX-4, Force Sword-3, Main-Gauche-3, Shortsword-3
knife thrust Dam:1d imp Reach:C, 1 Parry:10 ST:7 Skill:Sword!, Knife, DX-4, Force Sword-3, Main-Gauche-3, Shortsword-3
shortsword swing Dam:1d+3 cut Reach:1 Parry:12 ST:7 Skill:Sword!, Shortsword, DX-5, Broadsword-2, Force Sword-4, Jitte/Sai-3, Knife-4, Saber-4, Smallsword-4, Tonfa-3
shortsword thrust Dam:1d+1 imp Reach:C, 1 Parry:12 ST:7 Skill:Sword!, Shortsword, DX-5, Broadsword-2, Force Sword-4, Jitte/Sai-3, Knife-4, Saber-4, Smallsword-4, Tonfa-3

Ranged Weapons

Armor & Possessions
1 Backpack, Small $60 Wgt:3 Location:
1 Cloth Armor Suit $150 Wgt:12 Location:all
1 Lantern $20 Wgt:2 Location:
1 Money ($38) $38 Wgt:1 Location:
2 Oil (per pint) $4 Wgt:2 Location:
1 Personal Basics $5 Wgt:1 Location:
9 Rations $18 Wgt:4.5 Location:
1 Water (per quart) $0 Wgt:2 Location:
1 Wineskin $10 Wgt:.25 Location:

Notes
When Maas was about ten, the sickness hit his village. He loast his parents and siblings. The last of his kin to die, leaving him and his Uncle Phen, a mere seven years his senior was his grandfather, who had a reputation.

Grampa is said to have either been captured by a demon or to have mae a pact with one, alnong with seven others. He returned more than a year later bering a chalice of gold and several gems.

The taxmen and Churches let him offr but took the loot.

Dying, the old man told the real story to his last son and grandchild. The demon had been captured after weeks of it terrorizing several villages as well as the town. With great effort, the priests and warriors and a wizard managed to trap the monster in a cage of cold iron. Around withc a circle was made.

Men of the King had been summoned to deal with the monster and would be there in a day or so.

Then the cvircle was violated. The demon burst through the iron bars but couldn't leave additional barriers erected by the Priests and Wizard.

It could and did take hostages. In the desperate situation to save the hostages, the town's leaders negotiated. It would leave the mortal plane IF the soldiers and spell casters of the town would come with it to a 'correspondence' where other planes could be reached. Anyone who wished to take the place oif a hostage had to accept a Geas openly spoken before the Priests and Wizards to ensure they would fulfill that role.

Grampa was one of the volunteers.

They traveled and opened a gate, to a realm of Elementals of the Earth. There was an incredible wind which began when the portal opened. The Demon vanished saying "Good Luck returning home if you are stronger than the air!". They weren't. Grampa and the others who survived spent a year and a day in service to the Elementals, and on that day, each was given a contest that would either secure their freedom or make their slavery permanent.

Grampa won his contest. The others failed. For winning, he was given the chalice as a reward along with several gems and sent back to the mortal realm.

Uncle Phen could not get that story out of his head and organized an expedition to try and reach the city of gold. He never did, but in the process of their travels, Maas became a warrior of note.

His uncle still seeks a way to that city, but Maas has had enough and seeks his fortune where he may find it.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:54 AM   #3
ErhnamDJ

I've been messing around with this for about an hour now. My intention is to make a barbarian with the fifty point swashbuckler lens added.

So, to do that, I should just make the one hundred point barbarian, then add the fifty points for the lens, right?

I must be completely daft here, though, because there's no way I can work that one hundred point barbarian out to actually being one hundred points.

What am I missing?
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:48 AM   #4
Dorin Thorha

I call the halfling thief, if possible!
Old 09-01-2010, 06:49 AM   #5
sheldrine

Anelas
Human Bounty Hunter (Scout with Bounty Hunter Options)

ST 11 [10]
DX 12 [40]
IQ 10
HT 11 [10]

HP 14 [6]
WL 10
PR 12 [10]
FP 11

Attributes 76

Basic Speed 5.00 [-10]
Basic Move 6 [5]

Heroic Archer [20]
Combat Reflexes [15]
High Pain Threshold [10]
Rapid Healing [5]
Weapon Master (Bow) [20]

Advantages 65

Callous [-5]
Overconfidence SC12 [-5]
Stubborness [-5]

Code of Honor (Pirate's) [-5]
Paranoia [-10]
Social Stigma (Disowned) [-10]

Disadvantages -50

Bow 16 [16]
Fast Draw 14 [4]
Tracking 12 [8]
Broadsword 14 [8]
Shield 14 [4]
Climbing 11 [1]
Stealth 11 [1]
Shadowing 11 [4]
Traps 11 [4]
Brawling 14 [4]
Knot Tying 12 [1]
Armoury (Missile Weapons) 10 [2]
Search 12 [2]

Skills 59

Attributes [76] + Advantages [65] + Disadvantages [-50] + Skills [59] = [150]

IC Notes
Anelas was the son of a minor noble, and it was expected that he would go into the military and serve his duty (in an easy assignment) before returning home and taking over the family business of oppressing peasants, etc. Anelas, however, did not take to military life. His stubborness made him completely unmanageable, and this resulted in him getting into a fight with his superior officer. The officer wasn't killed, and that fact combined with Anelas' connections to nobility were enough to get him a dishonorable discharge as opposed to simply being hung on the spot.

Anelas' family disowned him for the embarassment of his discharge, and he was turned out. With his family fortune (upon which he had lived a lavish lifestyle) now gone, Anelas had to figure out a way to make ends meet. He still had his skills, and he used them to start collecting bounties. It was good paying work, and no one cared how you did it.

Anelas was never particularly kind to his "fish" that he caught. One particular prisoner, who Anelas roughed up a bit, promised his revenge. Anelas didn't think anything of it until the prisoner escaped and made his way after Anelas. Anelas managed to kill him (he wasn't taking any chances this time), but since then Anelas has been paranoid of something like that happening again -- to the point he is even considering leaving the business. His overconfidence and paranoia -- combined with stubborness -- makes a dangerous cocktail.

OOC Notes
I am doing this without the books, so hopefully the math is right. I will add a couple quirks and perks (in equal numbers), and equip him when I get my hands on the books.
sheldrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:41 AM   #6
Dragyn

Eriflor, a Wood Elf Martial Artist.

Eriflor grew to adulthood in the Midrind Forest, son of a tanner and a midwife. Eriflor never expected to have anything to do with adventuring types as he grew up, but everything changed when a band of orcs attacked his village and slaughtered most of the inhabitants, including his parents.

The young elf became convinced that the reason the orcs were so successful lay in the peaceful way of his village, and came to be determined that he would never be so helpless again. He went on a search to find a teacher so he could become a warrior, his heart filled with rage and an intent to bring vengeance on the orcs that slaughtered his village. In his anger, he failed to realize that "his" orcs would be hard to find.

While he picked up a few warrior's skills, it's lucky for Eriflor that Master Cindal found him before he found any significant parties of Orcs. Or, that is to say, at about the same time. Cindal found Eriflor early one night, badly outmatched by a party of seven orcs, spinning and trying to fight them in a ring around him, having badly overestimated his ability with the shortsword in his hand.

Cindal came among the orcs like a summer storm, scattering them and killing several outright with blows from his bare hands. As they scattered, Cindal let them leave, surprising Eriflor, who thought the older Elf would strike them down as they fled. When he questioned it, Cindal told him that was his first lesson. That a fleeing enemy was no threat, and that only threats should be treated with violence.

Over the next five years, Cindal transformed an angry young Elf into a calm, centered, artist of the Way of Leaf and Bough. Eriflor has finally become a force to be reckoned with, though his rage and aggression have been channeled into more constructive avenues. Finally, Cindal has decided that Eriflor is ready to test his skills out among the world, and has released him for a period of one year to try himself against reality and then return to tell what he has learned.

---------

Considering the nature of DF and the templates, I'm going to wait on actually making the character sheet until you tell me if I'm in. I'm planning to stick primarily with unarmed combat and thrown weapons, though he'll still have that point or two in shortsword.

Thanks!

<><
Dragyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
Davies

General Notes (For Everyone):

Okay, when you make your character, replace the word "Common" on your sheet with the word "Thyatian".

Specific Notes (For Captain-Captain):

Pretty neat character! Just a few things ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain View Post
Quirks [-5]
Bowlegged [-1]
Distinctive Feature [-1]
Incompetence (Philosophy) [-1]
Nosy [-1]
Proud [-1]
First of all, what's his Distinctive Feature? Secondly, I don't think being Incompetent at Philosophy is likely to be even a minor problem for your character, so I'm inclined to disallow it.

Quote:
Saber DX/A - DX+2 14 [1]
Shield (Buckler) DX/E - DX+2 14 [4]
Saber isn't on the Knight template, last I checked.

Quote:
Armor & Possessions
1 Backpack, Small $60 Wgt:3 Location:
1 Cloth Armor Suit $150 Wgt:12 Location:all
Okay, I would suggest, STRONGLY, that you take the point you spent on Saber and put it into $500 of extra gear. You're going to need better armor than this.

Quote:
Notes
When Maas was about ten, the sickness hit his village. He loast his parents and siblings. The last of his kin to die, leaving him and his Uncle Phen, a mere seven years his senior was his grandfather, who had a reputation.
Interesting background! A bit more elaborate than I was expecting. Some world specific notes.

Maas is originally from Bronsdale in the Republic of Darokin, to the northwest of Karameikos. (So the soldiers who arrived too late would have been from the Legions, rather than King's men.) When he finally left his uncle to find his own fortune, he joined a caravan travelling south from Selenica, and so heard about the rumor that starts this adventure before most people in Karameikos.

Last edited by Davies; 09-01-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #8
Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
I've been messing around with this for about an hour now. My intention is to make a barbarian with the fifty point swashbuckler lens added.

So, to do that, I should just make the one hundred point barbarian, then add the fifty points for the lens, right?

I must be completely daft here, though, because there's no way I can work that one hundred point barbarian out to actually being one hundred points.

What am I missing?
The normal barbarian has -40 points in disadvantages and 48 points of skills (listed on the basic template in Dungeon Fantasy) that add to the 92 points of the "100 point barbarian" on the page to which I linked. That adds up to 100 points.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:13 AM   #9
Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorin Thorha View Post
I call the halfling thief, if possible!
Concept approved. Make the character.

Quick note on halflings -- their homeland, the Five Shires, is located to the west of Karameikos. However, there are smaller communities of them throughout the Known World -- you could well be from Karameikos itself.

Chris Davies.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #10
Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldrine View Post
Anelas

Attributes [76] + Advantages [65] + Disadvantages [-50] + Skills [59] = [150]
You forgot the Reduced Basic Speed and Increased Basic Move (net value -5 points) in your calculations; you're 5 points under budget.

I would suggest not buying perks with your extra points of Quirks, but turning them into money. ($500 per point.) After all, he's a successful bounty hunter, right? Roll the bounties into the tools of the trade

Interesting background! Some world specific notes: Anelas is originally from the Empire of Thyatis, the powerful realm to the east of Karameikos to which it owes nominal fealty. Of all the characters, he's most likely to be interested in the secondary quest of the first adventure, which involves a rather substantial bounty offered for one of the greatest rogues unhung ...

Tags
dungeon fantasy, pbp