Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-08-2023, 06:05 PM   #11
Pursuivant

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Sealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
You intensely want Sealed if you're in an environment with hostile microtech, even if you're a machine.

But I'm not sure how easily I can come up with a second thing you want it for.
It should make any mechanical/electronic device immune to Sand, Slime and Equipment Failure (p. B485). Very fine dust particles can infiltrate and damage just about any non-sealed device in a desert environment and possibly in Lunar or Martian environments as well. Humidity or salt particles from seawater vapor can easily spoil non-sealed equipment in hot or wet environments even if it's not immersed.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 06:12 PM   #12
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
As far as the advantage goes, immunity (area effect blood and contact agents) is Uncommon or Rare in most campaigns, and most creatures that have the advantage also have Immunity to Metabolic Hazards (which covers the vast majority of contact and blood agents), so it's almost never worth its price.
That implies that such characters are otherwise humanoid.

Sealed is vital to keep entities with the Electric disadvantage from shorting out the moment they get dropped into water or to explain why entities made from normally water-soluble materials don't suffer a Vulnerability to water.

It should also prevent you from getting waterlogged, which is useful for normally buoyant entities with the Cannot Swim Quirk/Disadvantage.

Sealed is also vital if you have the Payload advantage and want to keep your cargo safe and dry while you trek through hostile environments.
Old 04-08-2023, 06:37 PM   #13
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Sealed is vital to keep entities with the Electric disadvantage from shorting out the moment they get dropped into water or to explain why entities made from normally water-soluble materials don't suffer a Vulnerability to water.

It should also prevent you from getting waterlogged, which is useful for normally buoyant entities with the Cannot Swim Quirk/Disadvantage.
All of those effects (including shorting out in water for Electrical) would be additional Disadvantages. Which if the character is waterproofed they simply don't have.

Making a character buy Sealed for no actual purpose or else take a bunch of specific Disadvantages is...certainly a choice.
Old 04-08-2023, 06:48 PM   #14
Anthony

Quote:
That implies that such characters are otherwise humanoid.

That's the zero point feature "Doesn't have the Electrical disadvantage".
Quote:
That's the zero point feature "Doesn't have the Become Waterlogged quirk".
Quote:
Sealed is also vital if you have the Payload advantage and want to keep your cargo safe and dry while you trek through hostile environments.
That's super situational.

I'm not saying sealed is useless. I'm saying it's not 15 points of useful.
Old 04-08-2023, 09:08 PM   #15
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I'm not saying sealed is useless. I'm saying it's not 15 points of useful.
True. I was trying to think of ways in which Sealed is useful in general. Obviously, I failed.

Given that Vacuum Support is worth 5 points and Pressure Support is 5 points/level, an equivalent "Gas Impermeable" advantage might be worth 5 points.

Immunity (Contact Poisons and Slow-Acting Corrosives) is worth 5 or 10 points depending on whether you count those threats as being one problem or two.

Total cost remains the same as RAW only if you count two different versions of Immunity and accept the 5-point Gas Impermeable" advantage.

Total cost would be 10 points for one Immunity and "Gas Impermeable" or 5 points if you consider "(Mostly) Gas Impermeable Skin" and "(Mostly) Waterproof Skin" to be 0-point features for normal humans.

Being hollow inside, such that any breach to your skin exposes significant parts of your interior to contamination, flooding, or loss of atmosphere might actually be a disadvantage.
Old 04-10-2023, 07:44 PM   #16
fredtheobviouspseudonym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Sealed is an Advantage that can be very useful even with a significant Maximum Duration. Even a minute of Sealed is good for a combat or enough time to move many yards away from a source of trouble. Ten minutes can be almost luxurious, if you have a solution for your breathing needs.
Another thing -- you can venture into a vacuum, even if only for short periods, with an air-mask, some small O2 tanks, and protection for your eyes. Saves lots of weight vs. a pressure suit, which would enhance mobility.
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 08:46 PM   #17
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtheobviouspseudonym View Post
Another thing -- you can venture into a vacuum, even if only for short periods, with an air-mask, some small O2 tanks, and protection for your eyes. Saves lots of weight vs. a pressure suit, which would enhance mobility.
Sealed doesn't help with that, that's Vacuum Support.

Also, over sufficiently short periods, ordinary humans can do that.

Tags
advantage of the week, sealed