Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-23-2023, 03:20 PM   #11
Otaku

Default Re: [Supers] Undetectable As A Super

I was going to half-jokingly suggest I add Anaraxes' suggestion to "the list", but... maybe I should add a literal list of suggestions already given to my opening post? I mean, it is another good suggestion.

Since I don't know the specifics of "Secret Mage", I don't know how much help it is supposed to be. Is detecting that someone is a mage supposed to be really easy/common, or is it supposed to be a rare thing? Something in between? Then we can use that to judge what kind of settings with Supers would find the Secret Super Perk to be badly underpriced, fair, or maybe even a bit of a waste.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 04:54 PM   #12
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post

Imagine a Stick Shift is a mutant in the Marvel Comics setting. When something like a Sentinel or Cererbro or [insert character with mutant-detecting powers] interacts with Stick Shift while he's "in Neutral", Stick Shift registers as a baseline human (flatscan). When he's in any other Gear, however, he'll be detected as a mutant (as just being in a gear other than Neutral is "using his powers").
So you knock 5% off number of points you get for your power modifier, because your power modifier is "switchable".
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 11:56 PM   #13
Plane

Secret Mage perk sounds way over-powered, pretty much every mage is going to want that.

The approach of using "Obscure: Detect Magic" sounds a lot more fair considering those benefits. This the approach Powers 64 has for Obscure: Detect POWER

If Secret Mage is allowed then there should be some way of buying increased chances of critical success with Detect Magic.

Given that Secret Mage is itself a magic perk, it probably would not function in No Mana so using Mana Damper should be able to deactivate it if the mage is in range, though that's a pretty hard setup.

Tags
alternate form, detect, invisibility, supers