Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-01-2017, 04:40 PM   #21
DanHoward

Default Re: [Low-Tech Loadouts] Etruscan Warrior, 7th to 3rd century B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasna View Post
I know. But, in your experience, aren't shape and material of armour at least a bit influent over both heat and cold tolerance?
Not enough to have any influence over a soldier's choice of armour.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:48 PM   #22
Rasna

My personal experience is limited almost exclusively to mail hauberks and thick aketons. Naturally, if I was a TL3 soldier and I had to choose between the two, I'd always pick the hauberk, regardless the weather. Out of real battle necessity, I prefer the mail hauberk for almost all the year and aketon in cold winter days. But this is going off-topic.

I think I'll publish other loadouts soon. Thank you very much for your suggestions, Dan!

Last edited by Rasna; 08-01-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Rasna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:08 PM   #23
DanHoward

Always good to see more historical loadouts - especially if they lead to more sales of my book :)

Don't expect me to comment too much on them though. Researching, writing, and the subsequent playtest of that book burnt me out so badly that my eyes glaze over whenenver I see a loadout these days. I have a lot of sympathy for David Pulver and his VDS project.

Last edited by DanHoward; 08-01-2017 at 05:30 PM.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:15 PM   #24
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
Heat and climate have never really been a problem for any kind of armour. We know that some of the heaviest and most stifling armours ever invented were worn on summer campaigns in the Middle East. I've worn them in Australian summers with no more discomfort than heavy clothing. The main problem with heat comes from enclosed helmets.
Weren't there quite a few casualties at the Battle of Towton due to heat exhaustion, despite it taking place during a snowstorm?
Old 08-01-2017, 08:31 PM   #25
DanHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Weren't there quite a few casualties at the Battle of Towton due to heat exhaustion, despite it taking place during a snowstorm?
Yep. It is a good example to support the argument that climate is largely irrelevant. If you wear enclosed helmets for a prolonged battle then there will be heat issues no matter what the weather is like.

Last edited by DanHoward; 08-01-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:32 AM   #26
Rasna

Samnite Warrior, 5th to 3rd century (reconstructed from 4th century archeological findings)

ARMOUR AND CLOTHING

*) Tunic – Chitôn.
Type: Ordinary Clothing (Status 1) || Locations: Torso, shoulders (110%) || DR 0 || Holdout 0 || Don 17 || Weight: 1.76 lbs || Cost: $105.6

*) Sandals – Sandalon.
Type: Sandals || Locations: Feet (bottom) (10%) || DR 1* || Holdout -2 || Don 10 || Weight: 0.5 lbs || Cost: $25

*) Greaves – Knèmides.
Type: Plate, Light (Bronze) || Locations: Knees, shins (55%) || DR 3 || Holdout -3 || Don 24 || Weight: 4.4 lbs || Cost: $2,200 || Notes: Protects the legs on a roll of 1-4 on 1d.

*) Helmet (Horned Samnite) [Pot Helm + Brim + “Crest” (= Metal Horns)].
Type: Plate, Light (Bronze, One-Piece Helmet) || Locations: Skull, eyes (23%) || DR 3 || Holdout -8 || Don 11 || Weight: 2.13 lbs || Cost: $3,250 || Notes: Protects the face a roll of 6 on 1d. If the threat originates from above, the brim protects the face on a roll of 2-6 on 1d. Crest gives +1 SM for Intimidation. +12 CF for both Bronze and One-Piece Helmet and -25% weight for One-Piece Helmet also apply to the “Crest” (0.75 lbs, $ 260, already counted on stats).
- Helmet Padding (skull only): DR 1* || + 1.2 lbs || + $ 10
- Total: DR 4 (skull), DR 3 (face, 6 to 2-6 on 1d) || Don 11 || 3.33 lbs || $3,260

*) Pectoral (Breastplate) – Cardiophylax.
Type: Plate, DR 4 (Bronze) || Locations: Upper chest (front, partial) (13%) || DR 4 || Holdout -4 || Don 6 || Weight: 1.56 lbs || Cost: $780 || Notes: Protects the upper chest (front, including vitals) on a roll of 1-4 on 1d. An attack to the upper chest aimed at avoiding it takes -3; one targeting chinks in armor on the vitals takes -9.

*) Pectoral (Backplate) – Pneumophylax (?).
Type: Plate, DR 4 (Bronze) || Locations: Upper chest (back, partial) (13%) || DR 4 || Holdout -4 || Don 6 || Weight: 1.56 lbs || Cost: $780 || Notes: Protects the upper chest (back, including vitals) on a roll of 1-4 on 1d. An attack to the upper chest aimed at avoiding it takes -3; one targeting chinks in armor on the vitals takes -9.

TOTAL (ARMOUR AND CLOTHING): Don 74 || 13.11 lbs || $7,150.6

WEAPONS

*) Roman Scutum, Large: DB 3, $200, 20 lbs, Don 1, DR 4, HP 27, Cover DR 10.

*) Long Knife: $120, 1.5 lbs, Don 1.

*) Shortsword: $400, 2 lbs, Don 1.

*) Spear: $40, 4 lbs, Don 1.

TOTAL (WEAPONS): Don 4 || 29.5 lbs || $760

TOTAL (WEAPONS, ARMOUR AND CLOTHING): Don 78 || 42.61 lbs || $7,910.6

Based on https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...745a44ce11.jpg

-

I have also found an Etruscan cuirass with a guard for the back of the neck, Greek anatomical bronze feet guards and a Samnite neck guard.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...3d39fb9823.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...505d506a81.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...8633e88c81.jpg

Bronze feet guards look very thin. In GURPS terms they may be DR 2.

Last edited by Rasna; 11-16-2018 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Some little corrections.
Rasna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:05 PM   #27
Anders

Would such a helmet be practical on the battlefield? IIRC, horns on helmets are a very bad idea for several reasons. Maybe it's a ceremonial helmet.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:16 PM   #28
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Would such a helmet be practical on the battlefield? IIRC, horns on helmets are a very bad idea for several reasons. Maybe it's a ceremonial helmet.
Yeah, the horns-on-helmets thing is probably overstated because of pushback against bad Norse. Lots of warriors in lots of cultures definitely went into actual fights of various significance with decorated helmets. Bronze-age Mediterranean dudes appear to be some of them.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:13 PM   #29
DanHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
The word "ceremonial" is a term that archaeologists use when they can't work out the function of an item. A far as I can tell there was no such thing as ceremonial armour or helmets until the late Renaissance. Horned helmets were definitely worn in battle. Most people have seen the ones that the Japanese wore but plenty of other cultures from the Bronze Age onwards used them. Their practicality is questionable but fashion plays just as much a role in armour design as function. There is a passage in the Iliad where Menelaus raises his sword to strike Paris and his blade clips one of the horns on his helmet and breaks.

Last edited by DanHoward; 08-03-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:21 PM   #30
DanHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasna View Post
Bronze feet guards look very thin. In GURPS terms they may be DR 2.
All metal armour was lined with some kind of padding or was worn over a separate padded garment. The padding wouldn't be enough to provide DR 1 by itself but combined with these thin plates the result is probably DR 3.

Tags
etruscan, loadout, low-tech, low-tech armor, low-tech weapons