Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-02-2023, 03:43 PM   #21
bocephus

Default Re: Character points - awarding them, What is "Normal"?

I would say its very dependent on the type of game your playing.

I have played (and am now in one) games where you start at the higher end of the scale but "progression" happens slower, and might take longer to build up. Kind the equivalent of starting at 15th level.
We sometimes get 1 or occasionally 2 points for a 6hour session, sometimes zero, but I don't think any of the players see it like a punishment. We all realize we are already on the higher end of the scale more capable than 95%-98% of the world at character generation. We have played upwards of 60 sessions and I think the highest progression has earned 40ish points so far.

Its sort of like a 'hidden Supers' game, where a starting 250pt character is playing in an almost completely 'Now' world. Where even an Olympic level athletes would only be around a 100-120 point character. So far almost all NPCs near the PCs point level are because of wealth/status/rank/etc, with only the occasional other 'super'.

Giving out 3+ points a session would just make it harder to introduce individually competitive NPCs or challenging plot lines.

I say all this to say that earning character points isn't always the only way to have fun. While some games move at a different pace or have a completely different concept where earning a point every 2 hours of game play might be a perfect target. it's ok if it doesn't as long as all your players are having fun.

Communication between the players and the GM is the key. Making sure expectations are understood before hand, but staying flexible enough to bend a little as things settle in to that normal mode every table reaches.

Last edited by bocephus; 05-02-2023 at 03:47 PM.
bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 10:31 AM   #22
binn05

Default Re: Character points - awarding them, What is "Normal"?

In my old DF Megadungeon campaign I gave my players 5 xp per session each time they arrive in town.
I like fast development because I can throw harder challenges against them.
In my upcoming After the End campaign, I propose to my players that they will get increments of 25 and 50 xp after we conclude each chapter of the campaign story. Chapters can vary in number of sessions depending on how long they take to conclude "missions".
But I assume 25 points will take between 4 and 6 sessions, with around 4 to 5 missions to accomplish, and doubling those numbers for 50 points.
Also, in this AtE campaign characters will start with 75 points, so surviving the harsh environment will be harsh.
A long time ago, during the 3E era, I gave, by the book, 3 points per session.

Tags
character points, star trek