Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-03-2022, 07:57 PM   #1
Kymage

Default Supers School of Hard Knocks in 4ed?

Has anyone out there converted the Supers Adventure "School of Hard Knocks" over to 4th edition?

I tried a search to see if anyone had done so previously, but couldn't find anything.

If someone had done so, can you all point in the right direction?

Thanks
Kymage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 04:34 PM   #2
Pursuivant

Default Re: Supers School of Hard Knocks in 4ed?

If anyone's done a conversion, it either never made it online or it has been lost to time and the inevitable 404 Error that haunts us all.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 09:12 AM   #3
naloth

IIRC, most of the villains were from Super Scum. I've posted variations of those characters as have others if you search for specific characters. (I switch things up a bit so others that know the source won't be sure that character doesn't have new tricks or different stats.)
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 10:29 AM   #4
lmykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
If anyone's done a conversion, it either never made it online or it has been lost to time and the inevitable 404 Error that haunts us all.
There was a series of messages on the rec.games.frp in the early 1990s, where John A. Simonoff updated the Supers supplements to Supers 2nd Edition versions. Including the characters from School of Hard Knocks.

Unfortunately, I can't find the text file that I know I've seen in the archive section of sjgames.com. Tried searching on webarchive. Not there either.

Yeah. Looks like that file is lost to time.

That doesn't help, eh? Sorry.
lmykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 11:19 AM   #5
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmykes View Post
There was a series of messages on the rec.games.frp in the early 1990s
Are you sure that it wasn't rec.games.frp.gurps or the gurps-l mailing list?
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 02:39 PM   #6
lmykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Are you sure that it wasn't rec.games.frp.gurps or the gurps-l mailing list?
I have a copy of that file. However, my copy is heavily reformatted to my preferences of how the character sheets should look in plaintext. So I’m not sharing it in case my re-edit shouldn’t be shared with others.

My copy of the file has those headers you see on the old Usenet forums. One of the posters said they got the file from the then extant Illuminati BBS. It’s likely been reposted in other locations as well.
lmykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 12:41 AM   #7
Infornific

I picked up a pdf copy of School of Hard Knocks. Unfortunately I don't think it's Aaron Allston's best work. The characters are written up a bit more casually than inmost GURPS supplements and there are some oddities - e.g., a character who's supposed to have a military & espionage background but has no skills - and characters in general are light on skills. The point levels of the characters aren't included at the character description but given with the introduction of the villain. So conversion would take some work. I'm tempted to take a stab at it.
Infornific is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supers