Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 04-18-2023, 12:29 PM   #2791
Varyon

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J.Steele View Post
FBI newsletter warning about violent extremists pretending to be mere LARPers.
In addition to the example you quoted, there's also this gem: "Role players do not search for information that supports their beliefs or ignores contradictory facts (i.e., confirmation bias.)" Apparently the FBI either doesn't realize that confirmation bias is something most people are vulnerable to falling into the trap of, or they don't recognize role players as people.
Old 04-18-2023, 02:24 PM   #2792
L.J.Steele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
In addition to the example you quoted, there's also this gem: "Role players do not search for information that supports their beliefs or ignores contradictory facts (i.e., confirmation bias.)" Apparently the FBI either doesn't realize that confirmation bias is something most people are vulnerable to falling into the trap of, or they don't recognize role players as people.
Clearly the authors have never been involved in any fannish/gamer/costumer debate about anything where each side is accusing the other of cherry-picked facts and willful blindness to the other side's obvious truth.
L.J.Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 02:55 PM   #2793
Varyon

Quote:
Clearly the authors have never been involved in any fannish/gamer/costumer debate about anything where each side is accusing the other of cherry-picked facts and willful blindness to the other side's obvious truth.
Indeed. I'd hazard a guess the authors have limited-to-no experience with typical roleplayers, as I can think of examples of such displaying almost every behavior they placed on the "extremist" side... and that's with my own experience being limited to only a few tabletop groups and a couple forums like this one.
Old 04-18-2023, 07:56 PM   #2794
ak_aramis

Quote:

https://leb.fbi.gov/articles/feature...lent-extremism

I really don't know what to say...

This part is demonstrably false...
Relationship with Law Enforcement
[...]
So is the link between TT and LARP; LARP as non-historical begins in the 60's and remained separate until the 80's...
The SCA is really about 1964 when it starts, and is borderline on reenactment vs LARP. It later evolves into something most LARPers don't consider LARP.
The known SCAers in the pre 1980 game design space are Greg Porter, Wilf Blackhaus, and IIRC, also Ed Simbalist. Wilf and Ed being responsible for C&S; Greg for RQ.
Gygax and Arneson, however, like Marc Miller & Frank Chadwick, come from military wargaming.

The character-sheet-LARP is a product of the late 80's and early 90's, as is the Boffer-LARP. Both of which arise from the preextant historical reenactment, SCA and other semi-LARP semi-reenactment groups, and the early true LARPs... including the USNA and USMA using Kreigspiele in the 1930's!

The authors may be PhD's but they're just making up ignorant BS piling it higher and deeper...
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 08:04 PM   #2795
ak_aramis

Quote:

Role players will not discuss law enforcement concerns on social media or provide guidance to each other if confronted by an officer. Also, they will have no demonstrated interest in criminal cases involving claims of LARP.

I've had talks with SCAdians and other folks about legal ownership and transport of edged weapons and what to do when stopped by police.
The last time I had my gear when stopped by a police officer, I said, "I've fencing blades, a dagger, and an unsharpened rapier in the back."

He looks in through the back hatch window.

Next thing I know, 15 minutes have gone by and I've given the officer a lesson in historical rapier in a parking lot...

In most cases, noting that you have rebated blades (unsharp with anti-penetration devices), or unsharpened live steel, they're going to get a touch nervous, but then get curious. Or decide you're not dangerous and just get on with the reason for the stop. Whatever you do, don't touch them without a go-ahead...
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 11:46 PM   #2796
RyanW

Quote:

Role players will not discuss law enforcement concerns on social media or provide guidance to each other if confronted by an officer. Also, they will have no demonstrated interest in criminal cases involving claims of LARP.

I've had talks with SCAdians and other folks about legal ownership and transport of edged weapons and what to do when stopped by police.
Oh great. You discussed law enforcement concerns on social media. Now we're all violent extremists.
Old 04-19-2023, 07:30 AM   #2797
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Oh great. You discussed law enforcement concerns on social media. Now we're all violent extremists.
You're assuming most of us weren't already on a watchlist somewhere. Look upon my Google search history, ye mighty, and despair!
Old 04-19-2023, 05:42 PM   #2798
L.J.Steele

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
The last time I had my gear when stopped by a police officer, I said, "I've fencing blades, a dagger, and an unsharpened rapier in the back."

He looks in through the back hatch window.

Next thing I know, 15 minutes have gone by and I've given the officer a lesson in historical rapier in a parking lot...

In most cases, noting that you have rebated blades (unsharp with anti-penetration devices), or unsharpened live steel, they're going to get a touch nervous, but then get curious. Or decide you're not dangerous and just get on with the reason for the stop. Whatever you do, don't touch them without a go-ahead...
Problems can arise in some states with belt knives that are often sharp at least on one edge, and frequently double edged. I've seen folks with edged swords -- historical replicas or fantasy/SF stuff. Ditto the laundry list of weird stuff that Massachusetts prohibits outright -- to wit:

"any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or * * * a billy"

Sometimes you get an officer in a good mood, sometimes you roll a Nat 1 and get a jerk who takes a dislike on sight to you.
Old 04-19-2023, 05:42 PM   #2799
L.J.Steele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
You're assuming most of us weren't already on a watchlist somewhere. Look upon my Google search history, ye mighty, and despair!
If I didn't make the list after the research on body disposal for GURPS Mysteries, I'm terribly disappointed....
Old 04-30-2023, 06:25 AM   #2800
L.J.Steele

When straws are outlawed...

Traveler arrested with "vampire straw" at Boston airport. (Seems to be a titanium straw with a beveled edge which can theoretically be used as a weapon) Lacking a grip, I'm not sure how decent a weapon it could be.

https://www.police1.com/bizarre/arti...ST_EMAIL_ID%5D

Last edited by L.J.Steele; 04-30-2023 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Wrong link

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox