Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 12-15-2010, 11:03 AM   #271
majikfreak

Default Re: Member House Rules

We have a new 21 and over house rule... When someone kills a monster in single combat. The party celebrates with a shot. When someone helps kill a monster the person being helped offers the helper a shot. When a party member dies, we all take a shot is his or her memory... and EVERY one saves up wondering monsters and has a field day trying to get the thief killed...

needless to say our games getting really silly, really fast...lol
Old 12-15-2010, 11:46 AM   #272
aeronaut

Default Member House Rules

I really like the race/class modifiers high, dark, and master (like the race ones more, really.) But with all the original munchkin decks, there weren't enough of these cards in there. From memory, we've had 0 or 1 total per game come into play over our last several games. Solution - I bought 2 copies of Munchkin Reloaded. That gives me a total of 9 each (I had 3 each before the additions) of the race/class modifiers - enough so that they should come up A LOT in games. And having a couple more "Rocks fall - Everyone Dies" cards should make things more interesting.

However, that also gives me a lot of Reloaded Die cards. My deck had 7 Loaded Die cards and 3 Reloaded Die cards before this addition. I added in 4 of the 8 Reloaded Die cards from my 2 Munchkin Reloaded boosters, so I had 7 of each "die" card. Then I took 2 of the remaining Reloaded Die cards, and modified them slightly. Put the word "Ultra" in front of Reloaded Die, and cross out the word "other", so that it reads "Play after any ##### player rolls a die, ..."

Finally, I took a blank treasure card and made the "Unloaded Die" card. But since we're not supposed to post individual card ideas here, I won't go into any detail on that one (shouldn't be that hard to figure out, though.)

We'll see how these additions play.

Regards,
aeronaut
Old 12-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #273
ComBAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfreak View Post
We have a new 21 and over house rule... When someone kills a monster in single combat. The party celebrates with a shot. When someone helps kill a monster the person being helped offers the helper a shot. When a party member dies, we all take a shot is his or her memory... and EVERY one saves up wondering monsters and has a field day trying to get the thief killed...

needless to say our games getting really silly, really fast...lol
I've played pretty drunk before and all it did was cause me to draw from the wrong decks numerous times and forget what I had in play and so on. Lol.
ComBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:17 PM   #274
majikfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComBAT View Post
I've played pretty drunk before and all it did was cause me to draw from the wrong decks numerous times and forget what I had in play and so on. LoL.
Thankfully my two decks are sleeved with Black (Doors) and Silver (treasure). They were out of gold sleeves...

Last edited by angiek; 12-15-2010 at 02:45 PM. Reason: removed color for readability
majikfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:29 PM   #275
frofrog

Hey y'all!

Is anyone else thinking that it would be awesome with a rule for the undead similar to that of the shark and christmas monster classes:

- You can add an other undead monster to a battle with (at least one) undead monster from your hand without playing a Wandering monster..

I know that the undead already have some special interactions, especially in fantasy munchkin, but it just isn't enough for me.

Has anyone tried out/discussed this already?

Maybe there is a better and different idea around?

It just seems reasonable to me that more undead monster can pop out of the ground quite easily.

I love the Christmas expansions because they add this element to the game and I miss it when it is not christmas.
frofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:55 PM   #276
Tobz

I read through most of this thread but didn't see versions of some of the house-rules we play with.

We mostly play with the non-colored original Munchkin with all expansions including Munchkin dice (and rules). I have also recently bought the Ctulhu sets.

Our House rules:

1. When 'Looking for Trouble', if you decide not to play a monster for yourself, one can be played by another player instead. You may only 'Loot the Room' if nobody plays a monster.

More opportunities for monsters to be played that could counter specific players or items, but would otherwise end up on the discard due to lacking Wandering Monster cards or similar. It also encourages playing riskier monsters for yourself, because of the chance of someone else playing an even nastier one. Great fun!

2. You can't gain a level from fighting monsters if the sum of their levels, including levels from monster-enhancing cards, is lower then the level of your character.

No more high-level players steamrolling to the winning level by playing only low-risk monsters for themselves. It also takes away a some of the reasons for using the Epic rules. I've never liked Epic, personally.

3. The game starts with no dungeons in play. Portal cards drawn with the initial cards get shuffled back into the deck. A dungeon card can be discarded if players discard a combined total of cards, equal to the number of players minus one.

I like dungeons, but only as a something special and temporary and not immediately from the start. Discarding them can also be a great way to screw other players, but I feel that a single player having to discard 4 cards is just too much and this is something players would cooperate on.

4. A thief may only attempt a theft if he has actually levels to lose (being of level 2 or higher).

We tried several counters to level 1 thieves and risk-free theft, but prefer this one the most (though losing your Thief class on a failed level 1 theft is a nice one as well).

5. If you died, you can't help anyone until your next turn. At the start of your next turn you draw one face-down Door and Treasure.

Just to make death a little bit more serious, but not too much like losing additional levels or classes.

6. Any time a Race or Class card gets discarded, any player may discard a "Go Up A Level" card from his hand and claim it. If multiple players try to claim a card they roll dice. The winner gets the card, but everyone discards their "Go Up A Level".

A small variation on the 'Faster Play' rules in the manual. The game becomes more interesting if there are more races and classes in play. This also decreases the stream of GUALS a bit.

Last edited by Tobz; 12-29-2010 at 06:10 AM.
Tobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:47 PM   #277
Sawmaniac

The Kneepads of Allure count as Big Footgear and can't be cheated.
Sawmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:20 AM   #278
dunaja

I don't know if anyone is still reading this massive thread but I'll volunteer my house rules:

Once someone is fighting a monster and declares the score, we start a 10-second clock. Any time a card is played to alter the score, the clock resets. When 10 seconds of a consistent, winning score passes, the player or players have won the combat. Or all players can say "good by me" and skip the count.

If the score was not declared correctly, the time can be reset if necessary with the real score declared (and under some conditions, cards played may be returned.)

This is particularly good if there is a player in your group who is not a native English speaker. Although we've been doing this for years and are considering lowering the clock to 7 seconds; there seems to be too many times when someone is using the extra time to debate whether or not to play the card instead of the more fun "knee-jerk" reaction.

It should be noted that there is no clock when a player attempts to gain the winning level -- all opponents must concede.
dunaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #279
shorinjiru

Default Multi-Door new way to play

I recently tried splitting my VERY LARGE deck of Munchkin Doors into a few different piles to accomplish the following:

1) Gain access to more of the cards
2) Give players more control over how they interact with the game and each other (fight a monster when you need to, focus on character dev, or get ammo to interfere with a high-level player!)

Please try this way of playing out, and let me know how you like it and what you think.

SETUP:

1) Separate Doors as follows:
-Characters: Race, Class, Steeds, Hirelings (except those that are Treasures)
-Monsters
-Randomizers: Modifiers, Cheats, Super Munchkin, Half-Breeds, and every other random card out there
-Curses

2) Distribute Curses:
-You want curses scattered through all decks so that there is an element of risk regardless of which door is opened. (we tried for a long time with curses just being in the Randomizer deck, but it made it too easy to avoid ever accidentally getting surprised by a curse upon opening a door).
-I recommend distributing curses in proportion to the cards in each stack... (but you can just divide them evenly since it's easier!)

***Here's my complicated way of doing this: let's say you have...
-50 Character
-75 Monster
-100 Randomizers
-50 Curses.
Divide stack size by total # cards, excluding curses. This gives you the relative proportion that card type makes up in your total deck of doors. So in this example...
-Character = 22%
-Monster = 33%
-Randomizer = 44%
Multiply that % by your number of Curses to find out how many curses should be put into each stack:
-Character: 50*22% = 11
-Monster: 50*33% = 16.5 (round up to 17)
-Randomizer: 50*44% = 22

3) Shuffle the Curses into the decks

4) Let the other players know which stack is which (I took a paper and made sections).

5) Keep separate discards for each stack, and anything that references discard piles would refer to any stack...

That's it!!
shorinjiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #280
krspond

My friend Mike and I have made some interesting 2 player rules.

1. We make monster enhancers playable on your character.
2. You choose if it is played on your Race or your Class.
3. You may also play them on your Steed or Hireling.
4. Anything that makes you lose your Class, Race, Steed, or Hireling makes you lose the Monster Enhancer on it as well.
5. A player may play a GUAL or Wishing ring to force you to discard any one Monster Enhancer you have in play.
6. When a Monster Enhancer hits the discards, any player may discard a Wishing Ring or a GUAL to acquire it for themselves.

This makes the game a little faster and more fun, especially if you combine you decks and throw some extra GUAL and Wishing Rings (and Monster Enhancers of course!) in there.

What I did was combine a pretty solid deck using Munchkin 1-7. With all of the extras, I made a deck to play with these rules.

Tags
combining different, doors, dummy hand, epic, extras, funny, gambling, gameplay, house rules, multi-deck, munchkin, munchkin zombies, new way to play, rules, rules variant, team, teams, two player, zombie dice