Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 02-18-2008, 04:07 AM   #261
demonsbane

Default Re: Art for games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommi_Kovala
I'm sketching some more portraits from the same campaign. I'll probably stay with the ink wash and watercolour technique for consistency.
Hey, I like them very much. It seems you have a good criteria and good use of black, white and grays.

You paint on paper and later you scan the pieces, right?

What do you think of digital painting and watercolours (Painter, perhaps Photoshop...)?

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:10 AM   #262
Tommi_Kovala

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane
Hey, I like them very much. It seems you have a good criteria and good use of black, white and grays.

You paint on paper and later you scan the pieces, right?

What do you think of digital painting and watercolours (Painter, perhaps Photoshop...)?
Thanks, demonsbane.
Lately, I've been using coloured papers of all kinds (I used smooth cardboard from a TV box for Mammurn's portrait). I then scan them and adjust colours as needed.
As for digital tools, I do use them sometimes. The fascination with traditional media, for me, is that a scanned painting is essentially a photo of a real-world object. Especially with fantasy subjects, it creates a nice atmosphere if you know that some of the illustrations are physical objects that someone put together. This is one reason I like to read GW's sourcebooks, even though I no longer play miniature games.
I also use a hybrid of digital and handmade techniques a lot. The end result is a digital collage of sorts. It's faster, easier and leaves my fingers less sticky than a sharpie+glue collage.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:25 PM   #263
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Can I ask if you need a lot of buck for having your database of 3d objects, textures, clothes, models?
I have spent a lot on 3d objects. Easily in the $10k range over about five years.

Quote:
Are the models enough editable (at polygons, vertex, faces level), or basically you are fixed to cloth them with the available accessories and then design the posture & render chamera?
These girls are all the same model. Just with different body and face morphs applied.

The basic models are fairly "morphable" and the newer models (Aiko 3, Hiro, Victoria 4) come with the morphs, the older models (Michael 3, Vicky 3, Stephanie Petite 3, David 3) don't; you have to buy them seperately.

As for modifying the polygons and vertexes . . . Daz comes with a tool that I haven't figured out yet that allows you to put addiitonal "morphs" into a model. Make this bend here, make that bulge there, but I don't understand it yet.

I lack the talent, ability and brain-wiring to actually build 3d objects or make my own textures. MonkeyFist is much more artistically-oriented and will modify textures if he needs to. So, I'm pretty stuck with the basic accessories, and only really mess with changing textures and editing things I know I can edit.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:21 PM   #264
jSarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr
Wahoo! Got the majority of my data off the failed hard drive. A few things need to be repaired, but I'm happy to get my 3d content off.

So, I did another Rose Westin, Jedi Padawan picture. She is supposed to be anime-ie. Is that even a word?
I also like the fact you're using what look like Tiss'shar soldiers as her foes.

The Tiss'shar rock.
jSarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:20 AM   #265
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jSarek
I also like the fact you're using what look like Tiss'shar soldiers as her foes.

The Tiss'shar rock.
Actually, they're the Raptorian Warriors from Sixus1. They just looked cool so I put them in.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:46 AM   #266
jSarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr
Actually, they're the Raptorian Warriors from Sixus1. They just looked cool so I put them in.
Well, if it matters at all, you can take comfort from the fact that those cool warriors are a pretty close match to some of the more raptor-like depictions of the Tiss'shar species; it isn't readily apparent from the pictures on that page, but it should be from, say, the rightmost image of this guy.
jSarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:47 AM   #267
Lonewulf

I would like to request a picture for a character I have. If anyone is willing to draw this character for free, or for a small fee (I'm willing to pay up to $5) as a commission, I would be VERY grateful. If you need more details than I put up here, please PM me.

Standing at six feet and weighing around 200 lbs., Nathaniel's weight is almost entirely composed of sinewy muscles on his athletic build. His eyes are a steel gray, his hair long (shoulder-length), straight, and a lighter shade of brown. He carries himself with an aura of confidence that almost anyone can detect if they look at him; he looks like the kind of man that can handle himself, and knows it. He has various scars on his body, including one that leads from the left side of his chin to his right eye; it gives his lip a slight curl, and moved him from Attractive to Average appearance; it has not quite made him unbearable to look at, but it certainly distracts from what otherwise would be seen as attractive features. The blow hasn't actually blinded his eye, it stops about a centimeter short. His hair is usually tied back in a ponytail, depending on his mood; sometimes he wears it out (well-combed), and lets it droop over his face to mask his scar. This depends on his mood; sometimes he's proud of his scar, sometimes it reminds him of his past. After he's had a flashback, he usually wears his hair long and in front. He's clean-shaven, and is only seen with stubble when going for a while without a chance to shave (which can happen often on long journeys, which he's known to take). He prefers black-dyed jerkins and brown baggy pants with leather boots. If shown travelling, he's likely to have a cloak and a short staff (4' long)

Like I said, I would be grateful for a portrait of this character.

He's from a Forgotten Realms RP, and he's a former Purple Dragon. Drawing him in Purple Dragon armor would be nice; his main weapon is a Dueling Halberd, but he's also seen with a quarterstaff (or a walking stick he also uses with Staff skill). However, if you draw him when he's in play, he's more likely to have lower-quality armor (Leather or Cloth) if anything, or simple tunic and travelling clothes, but he always has leather boots.
She'll bring in a murderous prize
~Blind Guardian

My Writing.com

Last edited by Lonewulf; 02-22-2008 at 01:09 PM.
Lonewulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:30 AM   #268
zorg
Experimental Subject

I sketched Cassius yesterday, from the Waterdeep Noir PbP.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:54 AM   #269
Lonewulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg
I sketched Cassius yesterday, from the Waterdeep Noir PbP.
Well done!

Edit: Needs more pupils.
She'll bring in a murderous prize
~Blind Guardian

My Writing.com
Lonewulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:09 AM   #270
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewulf
Well done!
Thank you.

Quote:
Needs more pupils.
Bah! Pupils are overrated. :)

Seriously, I frequently leave them out. Dunno why.

Tags
art