Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 08-14-2011, 06:14 PM   #81
doulos05

Default Re: [OOC] The Voyages of "The Hiawatha" [Hero Class] : GURPS Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJuan View Post
And on a purely RP basis, Sharmila will strongly insist on bunking alone. If she can't, she'll only agree on sharing a room with the Doctor, and no one else (mainly because she's the only other woman on the crew).
I'm still counting an extra stateroom... 4 Staterooms in the crew area and 6 upstairs. But it says we can carry 1 High passage and 4 medium passages. We could assume the Steward is upstairs (to provide ready access for the passengers should they need anything), which gives us an extra room downstairs so fewer people double up. But the way I count it, we should have sufficient bunks for 1 more passage assuming we're doubled.

And yeah, since we've got two women, they'd be bunked together.
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:35 PM   #82
pup67vargr

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos05 View Post
I think it's $800 per dton per parsec. That's how I got $123,200. ISW will be more than workable, I'll be the last one to complain about getting to charge more money. :)
Yes, you're right, of course. I left out a step. So I guess all my numbers need to be recalculated. *tch* makes me wish I hadn't given you that special rate for the little 2 dTon cargo, but, oh, well.
Quote:
Sounds good to me. I figure since we're dealing with a scientific outpost that this is probably cargo which we're being requested to carry by the merchant marine and they're gonna set whatever rate they want.
Good idea. Make it so. May have to re-visit that rate I gave you earlier today, but, then again, we might just keep it.
Quote:
Alright, sounds good to me. I would like to roll on the cargo generation tables from Far Trader to detail the type of cargo and how it is packed. I think that's more interesting than just carrying Acme Standard 'Genero-Goods' brown boxes.
That sounds like a reasonable, interesting, and agreeable request to me. But my family owns stake in 'Genero-Goods' and I quite like our brown boxes! They're so ... so ... so ... ordinary!
pup67vargr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:50 PM   #83
pup67vargr

Quote:
I'm still counting an extra stateroom... 4 Staterooms in the crew area and 6 upstairs. But it says we can carry 1 High passage and 4 medium passages. We could assume the Steward is upstairs (to provide ready access for the passengers should they need anything), which gives us an extra room downstairs so fewer people double up. But the way I count it, we should have sufficient bunks for 1 more passage assuming we're doubled.

And yeah, since we've got two women, they'd be bunked together.
The way I read that description of the staterooms/passenger accomodations, there's only one stateroom that has suitable amenities for a High Passenger, and one other stateroom is filled with the 14 Low-Passage berths, which leaves 4 Standard/Middle Passage Staterooms. Otherwise, I don't see any place for the Low Passage Berths. And the Steward needs to be in the crew area. So, Captain in one crew stateroom, the females sharing another, and that leaves the three remaining men to share two staterooms. Or, you could put two apiece in all of the crew quarters, including the Captain's stateroom, and then have one crew stateroom left over to use as a sitting room, gambling hall, bar, pinball arcade, or whatever.

Last edited by pup67vargr; 08-15-2011 at 05:38 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:03 PM   #84
doulos05

Room 9 is the Low Berths.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:37 AM   #85
pup67vargr

Ahhh, yes. There they are. So much for that idea.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:53 AM   #86
doulos05

You could just say 1 wall was knocked out between two of them to make the High Passage quarters.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:19 PM   #87
pup67vargr

The more I look at it and think about it, the more I think that "4 Standard Passengers" is a mistake, and they meant 5 Standard. Or, alternatively, what might be even better would be for the two forward-most staterooms to be High Passage berths and the other 4 to be Standard, double occupancy passenger quarters. Another "credit sink" for you guys might be upgrading ALL of the staterooms to high passage berths, eventually.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:31 AM   #88
doulos05

Sounds good to me. I'll edit the wiki to reflect that tonight.

2 High Passage, 4 Medium passage, 14 Low Berths.

I'll also get the software list and weapon stats into the wiki.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:10 AM   #89
doulos05

Ok, guys. I'm of two minds about this so I want to put it to a crew vote. We have two options for armament, a single TL9 Pulse Laser or a single Missile Launcher w/ 5 missiles.

Here are the pros I see for the Missile launcher:
Longer range: With 8.0 Gs of sAccel, we can reach out an touch a target up to 24 hexes (240,000 miles) away. That's farther than we can effectively can (and we'd be shooting at a -8 just due to range, but still). Pulse lasers TL/9 only go to 3 hexes, and they only do full damage a 1 hex.
More damage: Missiles that hit do 12d(10)burning damage, which is more than enough to disable another Hero-class (average damage puts a Hero at -11 dHP).
Slightly easier to hit: As I'm reading the rules, assuming we have Gunner(Missiles)-12, we need a 15 to hit another Hero at max range. It goes up by 1 for every 3 hexes closer it is.
No power demands: Kind of self-explanatory. We only have 8 MW of power to play with. A TL10 Pulse laser uses 10. So we'd have to switch off the sensors to fire the laser (or switch off an engine). A TL9 Pulse Laser only uses 2.5 MW of power, so we could install up to 3 of those before we ran out of power.

Pros of the Pulse Laser:
No Ammo: Missiles are $30,000 a pop. They'll probably end the fight, but at present we could only afford 5. A full load would be 12 per launcher. Meaning assuming we don't get in a fight before we load up to the gills, we need $210,000 to spend on ammo alone. Once the ammo runs out, reloading can only be accomplished out of combat.
Cheaper: We could put another $400,000 in our pockets if we took a Pulse laser ($250,000 for the price difference between the weapon systems + $150,000 for the 5 missiles we have). That allows us to buy some more nice kit for the ship or puts us just $100,000 away from another pulse laser (or just $380,000 away from a missile launcher w/ 1 missile as an emergency backup).
No point defense: Ok, here's the biggie for me. A Pulse laser allows us to take point defense rolls in case the enemy shoots a missile at us. I just showed that an average hit from a missile puts us into disable territory. As it is, we can knock two missiles out of the sky per turn, at the cost of 1 sandcaster canister per missile. Pulse lasers can knock as many out of the sky as they can hit and cost no ammo.

So, what's your vote?
Missile Launcher w/ 5 missiles ($900,000, $30,000 per reload, and 12d(10) @ +(8.0 - their sAccel)/2 Accuracy)
TL9 Pulse Laser ($500,000, 2.5 MW of power, and 3d(5) @ +0 Accuracy)
TL10 Pulse Laser ($500,000, 10 MW of power, and 4d(5) @ +2 Accuracy)

A TL/9 Beam Laser could be had too if we dropped a Sandcaster ($1,000,000, 5 MW of power, and 6d(5) @ +0 Accuracy), but that seems really risky to me, having only 1 sandcaster means we can only protect ourselves against 1 missile OR 1 ship per turn. Granted, we'd only be $100,000 away from buying the second sandcaster, but still...
Old 08-16-2011, 05:52 AM   #90
pup67vargr

Did you ever consider that you might just want to avoid ship-to-ship combat, at least at first? Bullets for a .45 are MUCH, MUCH cheaper. Put the extra money into a faster maneuver drive and you might be able to avoid almost any scrape for long enough to reach a safe range from your would-be attacker.

Just a thought.....