Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-16-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
b-dog

Default [DF] Unfazeable in DF?

This advantage does not seem to fit with the way I view DF, mainly because I feel that there is always some monster powerful enough to scare you in a fantasy game. Instead I prefer high levels of Will because at one point a super high will might be useful especially if Cthulhu or Nyarlathotep manifest in the DF realm and your character may need to fight them however best you can. I think that having as advantage that makes it so your character never is affected by fear no mater how monstrous the monster is is sort of unfair because DF has power levels ranging from heroes to gods and even Elder Things which existed before the gods. So I am asking if you allow advantages like Unfazeable in your DF games? What do you think?
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
Celti

Default Re: [DF] Unfazeable in DF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
This advantage does not seem to fit with the way I view DF, mainly because I feel that there is always some monster powerful enough to scare you in a fantasy game. Instead I prefer high levels of Will because at one point a super high will might be useful especially if Cthulhu or Nyarlathotep manifest in the DF realm and your character may need to fight them however best you can. I think that having as advantage that makes it so your character never is affected by fear no mater how monstrous the monster is is sort of unfair because DF has power levels ranging from heroes to gods and even Elder Things which existed before the gods. So I am asking if you allow advantages like Unfazeable in your DF games? What do you think?
And those powerful Lovecraftian horrors are the ones with Cosmic Terror, scaring even Phillip the Unshakeable, the (Unfazeable) holy warrior who has dedicated his life to destroying terrifying things.

Unfazeable is fine in DF, IMO.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:15 PM   #3
Goober4473

It depends on how you want to style your game. If you want a horror spin, Unfazeable will be inappropriate, but if you're going more for heroic fantasy, it's not a problem.
Goober4473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:47 PM   #4
Kuu

You could add the Cosmic (irresistible attack) modifier to Terror, I suppose.
Kuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:00 PM   #5
SolemnGolem

High levels of Will also have other side-effects, like making your brave character unusually resistant to mind-control through magic. I can think of all sorts of reasons why a GM might not want a fearless PC to be immune to mind control too.
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:07 PM   #6
Stone Dog

There used to be an insanity in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay called "Heroic Idiocy" that meant your character was immune to fear and terror checks. It didn't really have a downside, though.

I suggest giving Unfazable the limitation "Temporary Disadvantage: Over The Edge" and ruling that when exposed to something that might cause a fright check there is a chance that the character does something foolishly brave in the face of that danger.
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote