Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-05-2020, 08:27 PM   #41
Prince Charon

Default Re: [Supers] 21st DCU Golden Age (DC Nerfed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
He did not bounce like a kangaroo.

He leapt so far take-off and landing were never in the same panel or had multiple seconds between. He jumped at least as far as the Hulk.

I've seen all the Fleischer Brothers cartoons and know where of I speak.
So have I, that's why I mentioned test animations (they might have been lost, never released, or never made, but I have read that they considered having him just jump, and chose not to for fear that it would look silly).

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:29 PM   #42
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I’m not sure I’d give them ST as high as that. It’s roughly as strong as ten men. For Diana, sure, but for average Amazons? I think +10 would be more plausible.
+10 might be more reasonable. I'll ponder that. I didn't want to have to make Diana to far above her fellow Amazons. (Diana was shown to have to complete in a rather close competition to be champion of the years.)

Quote:
I think heightened Basic Speed May be in order, given the traditional sport of bullets and bracelets.
As noted that doesn't help without other advantages to support it. Racially they probably have higher physical attributes, but I didn't include that since it's easy to buy up individually.

Quote:
I don’t see any indication of heightened endurance of wounds, or of Regeneration.
Slow Regeneration makes for easier book keeping and essentially gives them a slight benefit what HP20 would provide anyway.

Quote:
A case could be made for racial Attractive.
Sure, especially since the art work has improved greatly over the years.

Quote:
Low TL 4 seems to assume a TL8 reference society. When Diana came to Man’s World it was at the cusp of TL6 and 7; that argues for -2 or -3.
I don't follow? This setting assumes that these characters are being introduced now, rather than it the 1930s/40s.

The Amazons haven't interacted with anyone outside their island since before 1600 (Age of Sail, TL4). Part of Diana's back story will be that Steve Trevors crashed in 2019, renewing an interest in what the outside world is up to.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:54 PM   #43
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
The Amazons haven't interacted with anyone outside their island since before 1600 (Age of Sail, TL4).
I seem to recall that they had some sort of super-healing device, I believe it was called the "Purple Ray."
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:00 PM   #44
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
I seem to recall that they had some sort of super-healing device, I believe it was called the "Purple Ray."
Yep, actually introduced in WW #1 in 1942. I have not decided exactly what to do with it. Divergent tech? WW's healing gadget? Patron with access to unusual stuff? Something that Wonder Woman uses to tan with?
Old 08-05-2020, 10:27 PM   #45
Otaku

Quote:
I don't follow? This setting assumes that these characters are being introduced now, rather than it the 1930s/40s.
Which brings up an area of confusion I had while reading this thread.

Finally, I get exactly what it is we're asking, and the thread name makes sense... but it took me five pages, and my reading comprehension isn't normally that bad. Well, maybe it is in these forums. XP

I guess I'm just saying, that in trying for such a specific name, it backfires because it appears to be contradictory. Much like the Marvel thread with nerfed characters - and additional restrictions on their design - something like "DC Selectively Nerfed" works better. Though, if it wouldn't create more confusion and clutter, I'd love to just see actual DC/Marvel Nerfed threads, for those who just want to run a more budget friendly version of either superhero universe.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 08-05-2020 at 10:31 PM.
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:07 PM   #46
pawsplay

I had sort of assumed from the discussion of Golden Age Superman that this was both a period treatment, and anything from his first year or two of publication was fair game. Wrong on both counts.
pawsplay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:11 AM   #47
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Which brings up an area of confusion I had while reading this thread.

Finally, I get exactly what it is we're asking, and the thread name makes sense... but it took me five pages, and my reading comprehension isn't normally that bad. Well, maybe it is in these forums. XP

I guess I'm just saying, that in trying for such a specific name, it backfires because it appears to be contradictory. Much like the Marvel thread with nerfed characters - and additional restrictions on their design - something like "DC Selectively Nerfed" works better. Though, if it wouldn't create more confusion and clutter, I'd love to just see actual DC/Marvel Nerfed threads, for those who just want to run a more budget friendly version of either superhero universe.
I had intended to post characters and backstory that would have made the date clearer, but the discussion on what should go into the racial profile for a Kryptonian based on the 1938 description of Superman's abilities side tracked posting an actual character description a bit.

I'll clarify it in the first post, but the intent was always:
a) more budget friendly versions based on stripping out a lot of the power creep characters got over decades of publication.
b) what it would have been like if a "first version" was now rather than back when they were first introduced.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:26 AM   #48
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
Superman's original costume was based on a gymnast/powerlifter costume, and he was easily able to duplicate a gymnast's moves. Early Superman might very have Brawling just from watching and imitating things he saw. I'd suggest IQ and DX of 14, if not higher.
Early Superman got hit more than he dodged, and missed quite a bit as well. He was better known for using lots of muscle to do a job that Batman managed with finesse.

The early Superman also had a nose for trouble, but didn't seem particularly smart or clever. What feats would move him from "much smarter than average" to "near genius" ? I'd actually demote him a point or two if I used the first few stories. Clark needed everything spelled out before he seemed to know what was going on, though I figured that was mostly for the viewers benefit.

Quote:
He didn't have a Comics Code CoH... he used Batman style intimidation at least twice, and regularly killed one or two guys an episode for his first decade in print.
As I put in another post, Comics Code doesn't mean the present agency's rules on publication. I was using it as defined in Supers to restrict Clark to natural weaponry, fighting honorably, and protecting innocents. It doesn't restrict your ability to use lethal force or intimidate others as long as long as you're doing it for the greater good.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:29 PM   #49
Otaku

Quote:
I had intended to post characters and backstory that would have made the date clearer, but the discussion on what should go into the racial profile for a Kryptonian based on the 1938 description of Superman's abilities side tracked posting an actual character description a bit.

I'll clarify it in the first post, but the intent was always:
a) more budget friendly versions based on stripping out a lot of the power creep characters got over decades of publication.
b) what it would have been like if a "first version" was now rather than back when they were first introduced.
Which, paradoxically, works better I think as an explanation you need to read than as part of the name of the thread. Stupid, I know, but something like

[Supers] DCU Nerfed (See below for details)

Lets us know the general areas of discussion, but that we'd better read more if we don't want to get it wrong. That might violate some thread naming rule, though. Even reading the thread name with the proper meaning, however, seems like there's still a little more to it.

As a picky kind of guy, I get it; you've got a particular vision for this project, and that's wonderful. :) It just isn't as generic as even the (properly understood) title for the thread indicates. Also, why tie your hands if something introduced well after the Golden Age suits your purposes? Or even, not introduced at all? Maybe you like it as a story element, maybe it just makes a character more suited to GURPS gameplay.

Again, I worry I'm nitpicking, but then I see you having to explain things over and over again, making me think maybe I've got a valid point.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:18 PM   #50
DangerousThing

Quote:
Yep, actually introduced in WW #1 in 1942. I have not decided exactly what to do with it. Divergent tech? WW's healing gadget? Patron with access to unusual stuff? Something that Wonder Woman uses to tan with?
It didn't belong to her, but rather the Amazons in general. I don't think she took it with her.

And how, do they play bullets 'n bracelets without some higher tech?
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supers