Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-06-2020, 03:44 PM   #1
AllenOwen

Default Ritual Magic

Does Ritual Magic (B242) increase the time to cast spells? I am under the impression it does not, but I want to be certain.
AllenOwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 03:49 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Ritual Magic

Nope.
It does not and this sentence added because "nope" was too short to be posted.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:18 PM   #3
AllenOwen

And Ritual Magery is an advantage much like Magery, other than the name?
AllenOwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:13 PM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOwen View Post
And Ritual Magery is an advantage much like Magery, other than the name?
Also yes. And distinct from Ritual Magery used in Ritual Path Magic. Unfortunately a few names are pretty close together and can confuse people.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 06-06-2020, 05:25 PM   #5
whswhs

(a) It depends on which system you use. For example, Path and Book Magic, in GURPS Thaumatology, has a base time for most rituals of between 15 and 60 minutes. That's not specified for other systems; for example, Ritual Magic that uses the standard spells in the Basic Set isn't stated to take any longer.

(b) However, my concept of a ritual is as a procedure that really ought to take minutes or hour, not as something you can dash off in a second or two. I wouldn't use the ritual magic rules for any thing quick, even if the rules allow me to do so.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:13 PM   #6
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
(a) It depends on which system you use. For example, Path and Book Magic, in GURPS Thaumatology, has a base time for most rituals of between 15 and 60 minutes. That's not specified for other systems; for example, Ritual Magic that uses the standard spells in the Basic Set isn't stated to take any longer.

(b) However, my concept of a ritual is as a procedure that really ought to take minutes or hour, not as something you can dash off in a second or two. I wouldn't use the ritual magic rules for any thing quick, even if the rules allow me to do so.
A) The op is referring to Ritual Magic (B242) though. That is just a flexible version on regular GURPS Magic.
B) I feel the same, I see why they picked it as a name though Book/Path would have been better
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 06-06-2020, 11:46 PM   #7
dataweaver

Hindsight is 2020. If they had known when 4e was being published what we know now, I have no doubt that what 4e calls Ritual Magic would have been called Path Magic, and what Thaumatology calls Path/Book Magic would have been called Ritual Magic.
Old 06-07-2020, 04:28 AM   #8
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
A) The op is referring to Ritual Magic (B242) though. That is just a flexible version on regular GURPS Magic.
Not necessarily. Ritual Magic is the base skill for Paths and Books; therefore they too are a form of Ritual Magic. And Path/Book magic had already been developed well before 4/e, first in GURPS Voodoo and then in GURPS Cabal. So I think its use in the Basic Set has to be understood partly as providing the option of republishing Path/Book magic.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:26 AM   #9
Anders

If you want longer casting time, you want Ceremonial Magic. And "Ceremonial Magic Only" is... somewhere. Thaumatology? It can be combined with Ritual Magic no problem.

Edit: Thaumatology p. 23.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:20 AM   #10
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
And "Ceremonial Magic Only" is... Edit: Thaumatology p. 23.
That's the term used in Basic (B238) / Magic (M12) for group casting (involving a "ritual", though it's not "Ritual Magic"). Casting time is x10 in that case.

The Thaumatology reference isn't a different mechanic. It describes a Limitation on Magery that limits that mage to using only Ceremonial Magic (as defined on B238).
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote