Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-07-2021, 03:59 PM   #1
Whitewings

Default Spell research without enchantment

Under standard GURPS rules, inventing a new spell requires enchanted equipment. But in a setting I’m working on, the Enchantment college has not yet been created, so there’s no way to enchant that equipment. I’m looking for suggestions on how to adjust the spell research system to fit a setting in which enchantment has not yet been discovered. Or invented, whichever way you want to think of it. The setting does not assume Enchantment is impossible, just not yet available.
Whitewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 04:08 PM   #2
Stormcrow

Default Re: Spell research without enchantment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewings View Post
Under standard GURPS rules, inventing a new spell requires enchanted equipment.
No it doesn't. It requires a "magical workshop." That doesn't mean the workshop is magical; it means it's a workshop that produces magical things. Its cost is laid out on page 15 of GURPS Magic.
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 04:22 PM   #3
Whitewings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
No it doesn't. It requires a "magical workshop." That doesn't mean the workshop is magical; it means it's a workshop that produces magical things. Its cost is laid out on page 15 of GURPS Magic.
Yes, and the cost formula assumes that tools can be enchanted. Indeed, the paragraph explicitly states that the monetary cost can be offset if the researchers do the work of enchanting themselves.
Old 06-07-2021, 04:49 PM   #4
Stormcrow

Quote:
Yes, and the cost formula assumes that tools can be enchanted. Indeed, the paragraph explicitly states that the monetary cost can be offset if the researchers do the work of enchanting themselves.
Which Enchantment spells do you think those are?
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 05:01 PM   #5
Whitewings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
Which Enchantment spells do you think those are?
I have no idea, but the need for enchanted tools is quite explicitly laid out, hence my question.
Old 06-07-2021, 05:15 PM   #6
mehrkat

I would probably shift to mundane objects having mystical properties. The collection of rarities has a similar cost to enchanting then add a modifier to the cost if the wizard actually quests for the ingredients themselves.

Examples:
ice from the north pole that has never melted
I lock of hair from a deer that was never born yet lives
A still living willow leaf plucked from some specific location inconvenient to get to

Also mundane things like
Diamond dust
Sand
Old 06-07-2021, 05:16 PM   #7
StevenH

I would say that since Enchantment spells haven't been developed in your world yet, that magic spell research doesn't require enchanted items in the workshop.

Or, perhaps there are materials that "Slow magic down" enough so the mage can closely examine what he just did. Such as casting a spell at a certain type of crystal that acts as some kind of "mana time trap", slowing the progress of the spell through the crystal, giving the mage a few minutes to examine the magical energies while they traverse the crystal, before emerging out the other side. This crystal could be naturally occurring, and may be expensive or difficult enough to find to be the equivalent in cost to what is listed in the magical laboratory section.

Or perhaps you need a second mage in the lab, equipped with a Real Time Analyze Magic Spell, to examine the experimental results of the spell research. In which case you would need to pay him for his work.

But personally, I like the image of a lone spell researcher casting experimental spells at a big crystal, which he then examines with a complicated system of articulated lenses to see what the heck he just did.

StevenH

My current worldbuilding project. You can find the Adventure Logs of the campaign here. I try to write them up as narrative prose, with illustrations. As such, they are "embellished" accounts of the play sessions.

Link of the moment: Bestiary of Plants. In a world of mana, plants evolved to use it as an energy source.

It is also the new home of the Alaconius Lectures, a series of essays about the various Colleges of Spells.
StevenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:09 PM   #8
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehrkat View Post
I would probably shift to mundane objects having mystical properties. The collection of rarities has a similar cost to enchanting then add a modifier to the cost if the wizard actually quests for the ingredients themselves.

Examples:
ice from the north pole that has never melted
I lock of hair from a deer that was never born yet lives
A still living willow leaf plucked from some specific location inconvenient to get to

Also mundane things like
Diamond dust
Sand
Theonly way this works is if nobody has figured out how to make alchemist charms (a different form of "enchanted" item)
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 11:11 PM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:
Under standard GURPS rules, inventing a new spell requires enchanted equipment. But in a setting I’m working on, the Enchantment college has not yet been created, so there’s no way to enchant that equipment. I’m looking for suggestions on how to adjust the spell research system to fit a setting in which enchantment has not yet been discovered. Or invented, whichever way you want to think of it. The setting does not assume Enchantment is impossible, just not yet available.
The GURPS approach to that sort of thing is "If you don't have the right tools for the job, take a task difficulty modifier". That being said if you have a wild magician, you get a big shortcut right past experimenation in the lab.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 11:16 PM   #10
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenH View Post
I would say that since Enchantment spells haven't been developed in your world yet, that magic spell research doesn't require enchanted items in the workshop.
Well, if such research is the only way to create new spells, I'd say there has to be a way to do it without enchanted items. Otherwise where did the Enchantment spells come from? No spell can be its own prerequisite.

Reminds me of the Dwarf Fortress questions of how the first anvil was made, since making an anvil requires an anvil.

On the other hand, there could be naturally or spontaneously occurring materials that fill the requirements normally filled by enchanted items. Such could be a sought after commodity among magical researchers.

Last edited by RyanW; 06-07-2021 at 11:19 PM.
RyanW is offline   Reply With Quote