Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-05-2018, 07:43 PM   #11
cupbearer

Default Re: Injury ?

Hi

Here is another question - how long does it take to heal from a Partial injury? I know there was a pyramid article but as written in MA, it doesn't seem to indicate this.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:43 PM   #12
cupbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Yes.

They are optional rules, so unless you really wanted harsh injury rules, you might have never read them. I know I've never read them in complete depth until last night.
yes, but that means a 50 hp dragon and a hobbit with 7 hp still suffer the -1 DX penalty for 1 injury.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:39 PM   #13
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupbearer View Post
yes, but that means a 50 hp dragon and a hobbit with 7 hp still suffer the -1 DX penalty for 1 injury.
Another reason I've never used them.

The 'harsh realism' part tends to go hand-in-hand with 'realistic' rather than 'cinematic' or 'fantasy'.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:15 PM   #14
Plane

Quote:
I thought 20 HP = 2 injury to cause -1 to DX, so 50 HP - 5 injury for -1 to DX?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:54 PM   #15
Tomsdad

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I thought 20 HP = 2 injury to cause -1 to DX, so 50 HP - 5 injury for -1 to DX?
As it worded in MApg136 the first threshold is "up to HP/5"

So while the Hobbit first category will be 1 hp and the Dragon's will be 1-8 hp, both will suffer the penalty with a 1 hp injury.

Now you could argue that as the Dragon will likely have DR or possibly Injury Tolerance so it's not like it's going to happen for every tiny blow that hit's the Dragon

But if you wanted to set in place a lower boundary to the first Threshold you could make it HP/10 -1 rounded down.

So basically anything HP1-19 will get the penalty on any injury but HP20-29 can take a 1 HP Injury and ignore it, a HP30-39 a 2 or less HP injury, HP40-49 a 3 or less Hit Point injury, and the 50HP dragon can ignore injuries of 4hp or less.

Or even simpler only have the partial injuries rules for some things and not others! (for instance while I do use them I'd not use them for mooks even in the most "realistic and gritty" of campaigns).

of course these rules are probably aimed at human receiving wounds from humans in campaigns that dont often have dragons, but like everything in GURPS they may have to cover a wider range of situations if desired.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:30 AM   #16
Plane

I was thinking of B419 "High HP and Shock", now I see you're referring to penalties which kick in HTx2 seconds (not sure if you begin counting from time of injury or time of shock...) later.

MA136 makes reference to Shock "there’s an immediate burst of pain and then adrenaline kicks in to compensate. Shock (p.B419) represents this kind of short-term pain. Eventually, though, the adrenaline wears off and the wound starts to hurt"

This is written with the assumption that shock occurs, so if there is no immediate burst of pain, there would be no need for adrenaline to kick in or wear off, so should 1 damage to HP20+ still cause these penalties?

High Pain Threshhold, which normally negates shock penalties altogether, halves the penalties from Partial Injuries (-1 becomes no penalty) so that would seem like a precedent for other situations which negate shock penalties altogether (like "High HP and Shock" situations) to be treated that way too. Although a creature with 20 HP and Low Pain Threshold should then suffer standard penalties instead of doubled.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:25 PM   #17
cupbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I was thinking of B419 "High HP and Shock", now I see you're referring to penalties which kick in HTx2 seconds (not sure if you begin counting from time of injury or time of shock...) later.

MA136 makes reference to Shock "there’s an immediate burst of pain and then adrenaline kicks in to compensate. Shock (p.B419) represents this kind of short-term pain. Eventually, though, the adrenaline wears off and the wound starts to hurt"

This is written with the assumption that shock occurs, so if there is no immediate burst of pain, there would be no need for adrenaline to kick in or wear off, so should 1 damage to HP20+ still cause these penalties?

High Pain Threshhold, which normally negates shock penalties altogether, halves the penalties from Partial Injuries (-1 becomes no penalty) so that would seem like a precedent for other situations which negate shock penalties altogether (like "High HP and Shock" situations) to be treated that way too. Although a creature with 20 HP and Low Pain Threshold should then suffer standard penalties instead of doubled.
Hi

I like this interpretation - I wish this was official RAW, but might even consider implementing either way.

Tags
accumulated wounds, partial injury