Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-28-2020, 09:43 PM   #21
kirbwarrior

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: Wounded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Not really, if you have two eyes, suffering 1/10 HP will cripple one and let you remain seeing as per One Eye. If you have 1, you're blind when that it's crippled.

That's why I think certain amounts of extra eyes should be an advantage.
I'm not saying there is zero difference between the two. If anything, it might be an area where having extra eyes is such a tiny advantage that it's worth 0pts. There's other 0pt advantages in gurps because even though it is strictly better, it's such a tiny bonus that it likely won't come up ever.

Quote:
If you have DR 1 (Reflective +100% One Eye -180%) or DR 1 (Absorption +100% One Eye -180%) as perks, yeah there's some risk in attacking you in the eye (might bounce back or empower you) but there's probably going to be plenty of other options.
Those frankly sound like perfectly fine perks to cover all of your eyes.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:54 PM   #22
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
I'm not saying there is zero difference between the two. If anything, it might be an area where having extra eyes is such a tiny advantage that it's worth 0pts. There's other 0pt advantages in gurps because even though it is strictly better, it's such a tiny bonus that it likely won't come up ever.
Even if it was worth 0.1 points we're supposed to round advantages up.

What other 0pt advantages did you have in mind?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:22 PM   #23
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Even if it was worth 0.1 points we're supposed to round advantages up.

What other 0pt advantages did you have in mind?
Constant glowing is generally more useful than not. It's basically Dark Vision with enough downsides to make it free. And how you glow doesn't matter, it could be a halo, brilliant wings, eye lights, badass shoes you can't take off, etc.

Early Maturation technically gives you more years of optimal age.

A race's native environment can be different from the norm as a feature, yet that can mean that a campaign set in a different environment makes them slightly better if you know where the campaign will be set ahead of time.

Probably any perk that takes a long time to turn on or off could be a feature. When talking about Fertility Control in the past, it was recommended to change it to Instant for the perk version and leave the 'takes a day' version to be a feature.

That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more features that are technically advantages that aren't worth points.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:59 PM   #24
Plane

Quote:
Constant glowing is generally more useful than not. It's basically Dark Vision with enough downsides to make it free. And how you glow doesn't matter, it could be a halo, brilliant wings, eye lights, badass shoes you can't take off, etc.
relevant: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=7891

this might be where it works out to a net disadvantage not just due to being unnatural features but also making you easy to spot at night to enemies, definitely not as good as nightvision which doesn't make you stand out
Old 08-29-2020, 03:11 PM   #25
kirbwarrior

Quote:
relevant: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=7891

this might be where it works out to a net disadvantage not just due to being unnatural features but also making you easy to spot at night to enemies, definitely not as good as nightvision which doesn't make you stand out
On the flipside, Dungeon Fantasy has it cost 1pt because in that 'setting' in particular the ability to have a hands-free torch is so good it costs points. And it's further penalized because you can absolutely assume enemies will take advantage of your glowing far more often than in 'regular' campaigns. When players were talking about it seeming expensive for 1pt, Kromm pointed out that it's a DF thing and that it's normally free if it can't be turned off (Accessory would let you turn it off).

The reason I think it's such a good feature is that it's not limited Night Vision, it's limited Dark Vision w/ Colors. Knowing that you'll always be able to see with some maximum penalty (torchlight is -5 for instance) is huge.
Old 08-29-2020, 03:20 PM   #26
Plane

Quote:
When players were talking about it seeming expensive for 1pt, Kromm pointed out that it's a DF thing and that it's normally free if it can't be turned off (Accessory would let you turn it off).
Do you recall page of DF specifying which part was glowing? I'm wondering if diff might be "all of me is glowing, I can't hide it" vs "part of me is glowing, I can hide it with my cloak".
Old 08-29-2020, 03:24 PM   #27
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Do you recall page of DF specifying which part was glowing? I'm wondering if diff might be "all of me is glowing, I can't hide it" vs "part of me is glowing, I can hide it with my cloak".
I don't, but I do remember PK's ruling of 'it takes great effort to hide the glowing regardless of what glows' to simplify things and make any version of it balanced.

Also, not all things in GURPS round up, even if that's the general rule. Reputation drops all fractions meaning a +1 with a small group is only 1pt which Power Ups Perks gives us as Trivial Reputation.

Tags
disadvantage of the week, wounded