Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-21-2020, 07:40 AM   #41
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: Vow

In previous disadvantages of the week, we've discussed how about half of all pacifism can be framed as a vow. You can put other requirements on combat through vow as well.

We also got into the honesty disadvantage, and several posters suggested that it might be best to use vow, with the exact behavior specified

A stack of Quirk-Level vows can often be better represented as a code of honor or disciplines of faith.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:19 AM   #42
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
In previous disadvantages of the week, we've discussed how about half of all pacifism can be framed as a vow. You can put other requirements on combat through vow as well.
Truthfulness and Vow of Truth are similar, but Truthfulness includes people who have no problem with lying, they're just very bad at it.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:19 PM   #43
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
It does? I think I missed that, what evidence?
I think this is what you missed:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
I think the general idea is that the character was already going to commit murder (in the case of Secret (serial killer) and Vow (only kill on halloween)); the Vow simply sets the local planetary date/time.

And I think having to commit said murder on 1 specific day out of 365 (and a bit) makes it worth more; about [-5].

Remember, that is more, and very specific, information that the police/city guard/station security AI/local superheroes/etc can use to not only track down, intercept, and locate the perpetrator; but to identify that there is a serial killer in the first place.
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:47 PM   #44
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
I think the general idea is that the character was already going to commit murder (in the case of Secret (serial killer) and Vow (only kill on halloween)); the Vow simply sets the local planetary date/time.

And I think having to commit said murder on 1 specific day out of 365 (and a bit) makes it worth more; about [-5].

Remember, that is more, and very specific, information that the police/city guard/station security AI/local superheroes/etc can use to not only track down, intercept, and locate the perpetrator; but to identify that there is a serial killer in the first place.
I would think if you're committing only one murder per year without ritualistic elements besides the date tying them together, it would be extremely hard for them to come to the conclusion that there is a serial killer at work, let alone draw any useful conclusions beyond that.

...though that depends on the size of the community. If you're in a small town where the Halloween murders constitute a large fraction of the homicides, it'll stand out strongly after a few years and probably be common speculation after just two or three. In a big city, much less so. NYC averaged more than one murder per day each year from 1959 through 2012.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:50 PM   #45
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I would think if you're committing only one murder per year without ritualistic elements besides the date tying them together, it would be extremely hard for them to come to the conclusion that there is a serial killer at work, let alone draw any useful conclusions beyond that.

...though that depends on the size of the community. If you're in a small town where the Halloween murders constitute a large fraction of the homicides, it'll stand out strongly after a few years and probably be common speculation after just two or three. In a big city, much less so. NYC averaged more than one murder per day each year from 1959 through 2012.
That suggests a scaling by settlement size for the Vow; perhaps up to [-10] in a village, and [-1] in a metropolis?
Old 07-21-2020, 02:06 PM   #46
Mr_Sandman

Quote:
I'd wager a guess that a lot of those murders in New York had clear motives involved; many were probably related to domestic abuse or criminal activities. The part of the vow that requires an innocent victim, so there is no obvious motive, combined with the fact that it was always on Halloween could very well be a pattern that would be recognized even in a city with an average of more than one homicide a day. The random murder of an upright citizen with no obvious enemies every year, on that particular day of the year would probably be noticed. That doesn't mean that it would be easy to catch the killer, but it probably could be identified as a serial killer. If the killer traveled to different jurisdictions for each murder, that might make it harder to spot.
Mr_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:21 PM   #47
David Johnston2

Quote:

The killer would pretty quickly settle into a set modus operandi he felt comfortable with even ignoring the fact that "sacrifice" strongly implies ritual elements. The only way to go unnoticed would be to have a way of disposing the body so it wouldn't be found
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:39 PM   #48
dcarson

I remember a talk by I think a senior detective for New Orleans that they only have a handful of surprising murders a year. House that has had multiple domestic violence calls, taxi driver/convenience store clerk on the night shift, drug dealer, someone in the club/bar/etc. field. Lots. Out of the blue where you never would have expected it, a handful.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:09 PM   #49
kirbwarrior

Quote:
That suggests a scaling by settlement size for the Vow; perhaps up to [-10] in a village, and [-1] in a metropolis?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Sandman View Post
If the killer traveled to different jurisdictions for each murder, that might make it harder to spot.
See, I was imagining the character in question travels, which can make things much harder to trace. Which has a further effect on these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
I remember a talk by I think a senior detective for New Orleans that they only have a handful of surprising murders a year. House that has had multiple domestic violence calls, taxi driver/convenience store clerk on the night shift, drug dealer, someone in the club/bar/etc. field. Lots. Out of the blue where you never would have expected it, a handful.
Which feels like a great thing to take advantage of.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:32 PM   #50
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Which feels like a great thing to take advantage of.
...On the alignment chart, GURPS would be True Neutral.

Tags
disadvantage of the week, vow