Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-18-2021, 11:49 AM   #21
jason taylor

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: Chummy

Speaking of that, I just finished Nathaniel Emerson's rather obscure ethnology volume on the Hula. I mention it because it brought to mind that this would be a great disadvantage for a member of an elite team of entertainers, (like above mentioned Hula*, or Ballet, or Vienna Boys Choir).

I don't know how such a character would fit in adventures. They are more likely to be singing about other people's adventures than having any themselves. If they are a travelling group they are subject to the same dangers as other travellers.

*In times past Hula was patronized by nobles, was institutionalized, and impeccably trained and was indeed a counterpart to the other two.

Last edited by jason taylor; 10-19-2021 at 12:24 PM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 12:24 PM   #22
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by messiah View Post
What does it mean "you react to others at +2". Is there something like a reaction roll for players towards NPCs?
In general, that's for NPCs who have the trait. As a player, I would use that as a general guideline: I often have good reactions and rarely have bad ones.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 02:19 PM   #23
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
In general, that's for NPCs who have the trait. As a player, I would use that as a general guideline: I often have good reactions and rarely have bad ones.
Despite the fact that Reaction modifiers mostly apply to NPCs, both GMs & players should be aware of them for roleplaying purposes.

While a Chummy PC isn't required to make Reaction rolls every time they meet an NPC, NOT having a strong tendency to treat strangers and casual acquaintances as potential "pack mates" if you are otherwise alone is likely to be bad roleplaying.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 02:27 PM   #24
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Speaking of that, I just finished Nathaniel Emerson's rather obscure enthnology volume on the Hula. I mention it because it brought to mind that this would be a great disadvantage for a member of an elite team of entertainers, (like above mentioned Hula*, or Ballet, or Vienna Boys Choir).
For an elite group, Sense of Duty (Group) might be just as appropriate, but members of a group trained to work or perform as a unified team could easily have Chummy as well. For example, a Chummy group of commandos might strongly prefer tactics based on "stick together & cover each others' backs" vs. "Fan out & check in via radio every hour."
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:01 PM   #25
Balor Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWJ View Post
Where is it? I canīt find it.
http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-1682
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 12:30 PM   #26
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
For an elite group, Sense of Duty (Group) might be just as appropriate, but members of a group trained to work or perform as a unified team could easily have Chummy as well. For example, a Chummy group of commandos might strongly prefer tactics based on "stick together & cover each others' backs" vs. "Fan out & check in via radio every hour."
There was one episode on the Australian series Sea Patrol where the crew of the HMAS Hammeresley went ashore to get sloshed. In the process RO (the Radio Operator of course) got Mickeyed for witnessing a crime. The Exec berated them and commented that they should be looking out for each other.

Watching each other at a bar might be one example of either Chummy or SoD (group).

Tags
chummy, disadvantage of the week