Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-29-2020, 05:50 AM   #1
Anders

Default How much in my weapon mount?

If I buy Extra Arm (Weapon Mount, -80%) [2], how large a weapon can I put there? Anything that can be held in one hand? Including weapons marked with M?
Old 03-29-2020, 06:35 AM   #2
Daigoro

Default Re: How much in my weapon mount?

Perhaps your Arm ST has to meet the MinST requirement.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:18 AM   #3
MrFix

You can carry any weapon in that arm, regardless of it's statistics etc, just like in a normal arm.

The issue comes up when you actually want to use it. The ST requirement needs to be met otherwise you suffer penalties. Since you only bought 1 arm, it counts as 1 arm for all intents and purposes. That means that any two-handed weapon requires x2 of it's listed ST. Ie, shotgun with ST 10-dagger requires 20 ST to wield one handed without penalties (which would be -10, and you'd suffer extra fatigue).

The M next to ST means only one thing - IGNORE it's ST requirement when it's mounted, usually on a vehicle or a tripod, if you're not the object it's mounted on. Think machine gun mounted on car roof.

So, if you want to wield a 22M weapon, you simply need 44 Arm ST, assuming that the weapon is otherwise two-handed (which it usually is, M weapon is extremely rarely one-handed). If you dont want to have 44 Arm ST, buy a second Weapon Mount Arm and tell the GM that both are used with one two-handed weapon.

P.S.: If for some reason you or your GM do not believe that M is also implicitly a dagger, making all mounted weapons one-handed, do not double ST.
Master: Kromm vs PK

GURPS: Shooting things for fun and profit

Last edited by MrFix; 03-29-2020 at 07:34 AM.
MrFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:28 PM   #4
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
If I buy Extra Arm (Weapon Mount, -80%) [2], how large a weapon can I put there?
Anything that you could hold with an extra arm that doesn't have weapon mount. It's just a single purpose arm.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:29 PM   #5
mburr0003

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFix View Post
P.S.: If for some reason you or your GM do not believe that M is also implicitly a dagger, making all mounted weapons one-handed, do not double ST.
M rated weapons are not implicitly also † weapons. If they were, it would say this in the write up for the M category in ST and such weapons would not be marked with a † in their weapon write up (as it would be redundant).

If you want to have a discussion about whether or not the M rated weapons in High Tech and Ultra Tech should also have † or even ‡, that's a whole nother thing. But by RAW, 22M doesn't mean "needs ST 44" to wield with 1 hand if removed from the mount.

Tags
rules, weapon mounts