Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-15-2018, 04:58 PM   #11
tbeard1999

Default Re: Questions raised in the Codex FAQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terquem View Post
I don't want to be a downer here, but you should always be cautious of posting material directly from a document under the protection of copyright, regardless of who might be the holder

There are certain permissions granted by law, such as academic reviews, criticism, and others, but still, be cautious.
As a licensed attorney, I’m confident that what I posted falls squarely in the “fair use” exception.

EDIT - Besides, I’m pretty sure the IP is owned by some guy named “Steve Jackson”. :)

Last edited by tbeard1999; 06-16-2018 at 07:25 PM.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:02 PM   #12
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terquem View Post
I don't want to be a downer here, but you should always be cautious of posting material directly from a document under the protection of copyright, regardless of who might be the holder

There are certain permissions granted by law, such as academic reviews, criticism, and others, but still, be cautious.
Hi Terquem.
I made some effort to paraphrase the questions. Copyright only protects exact arrangements of words. Further, if anyone objects, I'm sure it would be taken down.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:10 AM   #13
Helborn

Just ran across this thread while looking for something else entirely. The gaming group that helped put together (most of) the Codex fully expected it to be rewritten, reformatted and edited.

It was done on an early dot-matrix printer owned by our GM. It was NEVER considered a finished product nor was it expected to be published "as-is". We DID think that we were contributing to the content of the Codex but not writing the actual Codex.

Most of what was sent in was seen as Aids for the GM and players: tables and lists easily referenced. We deliberately reproduced already existing material in one package.

Sadly, what we sent in was simply reprinted and outside of the satisfaction of seeing some of our names in print (not mine) we were not happy with the product either.

That said, I know Steve has ignored the Codex but have any of the questions asked been addressed in the Legacy Companion?
Old 10-13-2018, 08:24 PM   #14
ColBosch

I had a copy of the Codex. What really stuck with me was how each section had its own page numbers, so every few pages went 1-2-3-4-1-2-1-2-3-1... etc.

And if you think the price in 1981 was insane, you should see what they've gone for on eBay. I hope the buyers are very happy and not at all bitterly disappointed in their purchasing decisions. :D
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
answers, codex, confusion, faq, questions