Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-04-2022, 08:17 AM   #41
Rasna

Default Re: Are there stats for a crocodile tooth sword?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
TQ
I especially like the 4-sided + Th

Awesome. I guess that partly explains why we don't still use the word - "shrimp nice"? I know folk scrimp & save. Scrimping must have come down from having to make do with the leftover bones & teeth that only the desperate would use.
Quote:
TQ
I especially like the 4-sided + Th
You're welcome.

For arrows, just use the base stats with (0.5) armour divisor and 20% cost of iron ones. But if your NPCs are monstruous humanoids with Tough Skin and body DR 2 or better, they would probably use bow and arrows preferentially against Humans and other mostly DR 0 foes for fighting them at long to medium distance, because the (0.5) armour divisor means that arrows aren't going to be effective against Tough Skinned foes even if shot with a longbow (DR 2 vs. 1d+1 (0.5) imp means 0, 0, 0, 1, 2, 3 basic damage; even worse DR 3: 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1). Instead, they would probably use spear-throwers like the Woomera with Spear [sw+3 (0.5) imp] and heavy Harpoons [thr+5 (0.5) imp], and maybe also heavy Boomerangs enhanced with an inner edge of crocodile teeth [sw+1 cr], using Crocodile Tooth swords as balanced clubs with a thrusting point when in melee.

Spear-Thrower (with Crocodile Tooth Spear)

Type: Woomera
Skill: Spear Thrower
TL: 0
Damage: [w. Spear] sw+3 (0.5) imp / Acc 2 / Range x1.5/x2 / RoF 1 / Shots 1(1) / ST 9 / Bulk -6
Lenght: -
DR/HP/HT: 2/10/12
Cost: $40
Weight: 2 lbs. / 0.8 kg
Notes: -

Crocodile Tooth Harpoon

Type: Harpoon - Horn/Tooth
Skill: Spear / Thrown Weapon (Harpoon)
Damage:
1) [melee]* thr+4 (0.5) imp / Reach 1, 2* / Parry 0U / ST 11
2) [thrown] thr+5 (0.5) imp / Acc 2 / Range x1/x1.5 / RoF 1 / Shots T(1) / ST 11 / Bulk -6
Lenght: Extremely Long.
DR/HP/HT: 2/14/12
Cost: $12
Weight: 6 lbs. / 2.4 kg
Notes: Tethered. See pp. B276, B411.

* In melee, treat it as a clumsy HEAVY SPEAR (p. 69) with Reach 1, 2* and -2 to skill (Low-Tech, p. 72).

Crocodile Tooth-Edged Boomerang

Type: Boomerang - Flanges, Spikes and End Caps (Horn/Tooth)
Skill: Shortsword / Thrown Weapon (Stick)
Damage:
1) [melee] sw+1 cr / Reach 1 / Parry 0 / ST 6
2) [melee] thr cr / Reach 1 / Parry 0 / ST 6
3) [thrown] sw+1 cr / Acc 2 / Range x6/x10 / RoF 1 / Shots T(1) / ST 6 / Bulk -2
Lenght: Short.
DR/HP/HT: 2/8/12
Cost: $28
Weight: 1 lb. / 0.4 kg
Notes: On any successful swing attack (both melee and ranged) against DR 2+ or successful parry against an armed attack, roll 1d; on 1, the teeth point breaks, reducing the boomerang to a club that does swing crushing damage.

Last edited by Rasna; 07-04-2022 at 09:18 AM.
Rasna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 11:15 PM   #42
jacobmuller

Boomerangs - pure genius.
I was thinking about slings but they'd need nimble fingers for those.
Big sticks with ancestors teeth - pokey stick, whacky stick, chucky stick.
Be like cold blooded, amphibious Maoris.
I'm not sure whether they should have shields - maybe hide covered ancestor's skulls.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 08:01 AM   #43
Rasna

Quote:
Boomerangs - pure genius.
I was thinking about slings but they'd need nimble fingers for those.
Big sticks with ancestors teeth - pokey stick, whacky stick, chucky stick.
Be like cold blooded, amphibious Maoris.
I'm not sure whether they should have shields - maybe hide covered ancestor's skulls.
I don't want to interfere with your Worldbuilding, but if can helps to make thing easier, they could be also warm-blooded. If I'm not wrong, there were a lot of warm-blooded reptilia during the Cretaceous, including the progenitors of mammals and birds. Also, I would say that opposable thumb would be mandatory in order to be able to craft complex items like most of TL0 tools and weapons.

If they're smart enought to craft advanced TL0 weapons such as tooth swords, they can be also use shields and armour, why not. Maybe leather and cane shields, or shields made from turtle shells.

What are their average ST, DX, IQ, HT and Tough Skin DR?
Old 07-05-2022, 09:52 AM   #44
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasna View Post
If I'm not wrong, there were a lot of warm-blooded reptilia during the Cretaceous, including the progenitors of mammals and birds.
I'm fairly sure that by the Cretaceous, the ancestors of mammals would no longer be considered reptiles. The ancestors of mammals split off from the reptile line about 175 million years before the Cretaceous and by the end of the Jurassic were pretty much mammals. Likewise, birds were recognizably birds by the Cretaceous. Whether birds (or indeed dinosaurs) count as 'reptilia' seems to be a point of contention.
On the other hand, plenty of dinosaurs (and their earlier ancestors) seem to have been both scaly (although often also feathery) and warm-blooded and I've seen some speculation that crocodilians (who have a load of excellent 'old-school' prehistoric monsters in their family tree) are descended from warm-blooded creatures which evolved back into cold-blooded ones (in much the same way as they evolved to live on land and then went back to the water, making them possibly the least decisive evolutionary line).
Old 07-05-2022, 04:27 PM   #45
jacobmuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasna View Post
I don't want to interfere with your Worldbuilding,

What are their average ST, DX, IQ, HT and Tough Skin DR?
Input gladly accepted.
I've mostly been thinking about the culture, range of territory aspect. Hadn't put much thought into Attributes but cold-blooded and disease resistance will be in there. Probably Blunt teeth, Born Biter 1, Claws (like a dog), Ham-fisted (as adults), Amphibious, Semi-upright. Maybe disturbing voice. No writing. Primitive speech.
Actual primary Attributes?
Edit: I put some cp on it but I'm darned if I can find Born Biter. Maybe it's a 0pt feature. Edited edit MA115.
Uplifted saltwater crocodile
CP [RAW/house]
Wahine Tane
[86/43]? [146/1]? *
ST 14 [40/0] 28 [180/0]
DX 12 [40/20] 10 [0]
IQ 9 [-20/-15] 7 [-60/-45]
HT 12 [20/40] 12 [20/40]
SM+1 SM+2
Tough Skin [4] (DR1 (Cut only); +DR1 (Back Only)).
cold-blooded [-10], disease resistance +3 [5]. Blunt Teeth [0] Th-1 Cr, Born Biter sm+1 [?], Claws [3], Ham-fisted [-5] (only as adults), Amphibious [10], Semi-upright [-5]
disturbing voice [-10]. No writing. Primitive language [2/0] total [-10]
Racial Skills Swim +3[6] & Stealth (in water) +3 [6]*House rule: ST5/±10% var from Baseline (limit ±50% without UB); baseline is SM base ±clade mod. SM base = range in yards x5 (edit template toolkit 2, pg13, does it as a table), ie Tane clade ST is SM base +10 for[0].
ST based Th Dam is ST-7/7 D6; Sw = Th x2.
Cheap ST means big folk don't have to be slow & stupid to exist; small folk don't get incredible powers free.
I'll need to use BT64 for their food requirements; x1.5 & 2 for SM but cast iron stomach & cold-blooded...

Last edited by jacobmuller; 07-13-2022 at 02:28 AM.
Old 07-06-2022, 06:02 PM   #46
Rasna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Baughn View Post
I'm fairly sure that by the Cretaceous, the ancestors of mammals would no longer be considered reptiles. The ancestors of mammals split off from the reptile line about 175 million years before the Cretaceous and by the end of the Jurassic were pretty much mammals. Likewise, birds were recognizably birds by the Cretaceous. Whether birds (or indeed dinosaurs) count as 'reptilia' seems to be a point of contention.
On the other hand, plenty of dinosaurs (and their earlier ancestors) seem to have been both scaly (although often also feathery) and warm-blooded and I've seen some speculation that crocodilians (who have a load of excellent 'old-school' prehistoric monsters in their family tree) are descended from warm-blooded creatures which evolved back into cold-blooded ones (in much the same way as they evolved to live on land and then went back to the water, making them possibly the least decisive evolutionary line).
Thanks for the infos and the correction. Very welcome and interesting.

Quote:
Input gladly accepted.
I've mostly been thinking about the culture, range of territory aspect. Hadn't put much thought into Attributes but cold-blooded and disease resistance will be in there. Probably Blunt teeth, Born Biter 1, Claws (like a dog), Ham-fisted (as adults), Amphibious, Semi-upright. Maybe disturbing voice. No writing. Primitive speech.
Actual primary Attributes?
Edit: I put some cp on it but I'm darned if I can find Born Biter. Maybe it's a 0pt feature.
Uplifted saltwater crocodile
CP [RAW/house]
Wahine Tane
[86/43]? [146/1]? *
ST 14 [40/0] 28 [180/0]
DX 12 [40/20] 10 [0]
IQ 9 [-20/-15] 7 [-60/-45]
HT 12 [20/40] 12 [20/40]
SM+1 SM+2
Tough Skin [4] (DR1 (Cut only); +DR1 (Back Only)).
cold-blooded [-10], disease resistance +3 [5]. Blunt Teeth [0] Th-1 Cr, Born Biter sm+1 [?], Claws [3], Ham-fisted [-5] (only as adults), Amphibious [10], Semi-upright [-5]
disturbing voice [-10]. No writing. Primitive language [2/0] total [-10]
Racial Skills Swim +3[6] & Stealth (in water) +3 [6]*House rule: ST5/±10% var from Baseline (limit ±50% without UB); baseline is SM base ±clade mod. SM base = range in yards x5, ie Tane clade ST is SM base +10 for[0].
ST based Th Dam is ST-7/7 D6; Sw = Th x2.
Cheap ST means big folk don't have to be slow & stupid to exist; small folk don't get incredible powers free.
I'll need to use BT64 for their food requirements; x1.5 & 2 for SM but cast iron stomach & cold-blooded...

Ok. Ham-Fisted would be an annoying thing for crafting skills but it wouldn't make them impossible. If their evolutive stadium is long enough, they could learn very well their crucial crafting abilities while being youngsters, then having them at DX+3 or better while adults, compensating the Ham-Fisted disadvantage with a lot of patience (I'd say removing -1 penalty for fine work at the cost of +50% crafting time and removing up to -2 penalty at the cost of +100% crafting time).

SM+1 or SM+2 means that their armour and weapons may need a weight, cost, reach and damage adjustment, as explained in Low-Tech Companion 2: Weapons and Warriors, pp. 20-21 (Scaling Weapons). To keep things easier, I'd say SM 0 weapons would be fine for SM+1 and SM+1 weapons would be fine for SM+2, but armour needs to be SM+1 or SM+2, according to the wearer's SM.
Old 07-06-2022, 11:19 PM   #47
jacobmuller

Made me realise I need Juvie* stats.
Then realised I'm going at this whole thing bass ackwards. I was thinking of a human based post apoc campaign; the Koaka would just have been "monsters".
Basically the village teenagers need to prove themselves worthy by going walkabout; come home and sing about their odyssey - Gore Anthem.
But teenage Koaka going out... And don't tell the players they're not human - just post apoc society...
I love the forum.
*edit on deeper reading of saltwater crocodile - those rough stats are terrible but "Adult" at 12-16 yrs fits perfectly.

Last edited by jacobmuller; 07-07-2022 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-08-2022, 09:34 AM   #48
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
I think the English word for bone/ivory worker was 'schrimpschonger', which looks Germanic to me, and is probably related to 'scrimshaw'.
It's usually rendered as scrimshander in my experience, I've never seen that spelling before.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 10:14 AM   #49
jacobmuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
It's usually rendered as scrimshander in my experience, I've never seen that spelling before.
I found references to Dan's word, some sort of Victorian businesses, and your word is in my dictionary but as a synonym for scrimshaw or one who does scrimshaw. Of course, now all I can find is examples of scrimpschonger being another word for folk who do scrimshaw. That and tshirt ads.
I begin to understand why the fan wiki opted to use Bone-carver. Although that's also defined as someone who does scrimshaw.
Old 07-08-2022, 10:38 AM   #50
Dalillama

Quote:
I found references to Dan's word, some sort of Victorian businesses, and your word is in my dictionary but as a synonym for scrimshaw or one who does scrimshaw. Of course, now all I can find is examples of scrimpschonger being another word for folk who do scrimshaw. That and tshirt ads.
I begin to understand why the fan wiki opted to use Bone-carver. Although that's also defined as someone who does scrimshaw.
Scrimshander and schrimpschonger are clearly closely related words, but nobody appears to know where either one came from or which came first. Schrimpschonger looks German to me as well, but none of the online German dictionaries I can find have heard of it. Scrimshaw is an English surname attested from before the meaning of carved ivory; the surname means "fencer" and is etymologically related to skirmish and scrimmage.Whether that's connected to the profession/skill of ivory and bone carving is unclear.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote