Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 05-10-2021, 09:50 AM   #671
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

When Peter makes his dog joke, Anil shakes his head: "You English and your Dogs".

When you arrive at the ruin, you see the large stone disk from your dream. The disk is perfectly circular, and raised about four feet above the ground. Anil rushes forward and clambers onto the dias. He runs around for a short while before shouting "We have it! We've found it!"

He returns to Peter:

"Who are you, exactly? You look english, but your accent is off, you use Karana, and you found the ruins of Karaka by walking into the jungle. Who are you? What are you?"

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:07 AM   #672
the_matrix_walker

"My name is Peter Nichols, if you promise to keep my secret, I'll tell you....

I'm an Eagle Scout and interdimensional man of mystery my friend! The universe seems to be putting me and Goliath where something needs to be done and points me in the right direction, but I have to figure the rest out for myself.

I don't know 'bout the politic' stuff that goes along with this, so I dunno how complicated this is gonna get. I'll help if I can, but taking you this far might mean I did what I'm s'posed to here, so this might be goodbye. Mr. Pundell has an idol or something that I think is related to this place, so that could be really important."

Peter is about ready to build a fire to see if his Karana creatures are better when made in this special place, when he hesitates when the thought occurs to him that it might be dangerous.
Spoiler:  

But he dismisses the thought and builds a fire.

Once he gets a fire going, he makes himself a new "runt", focussing on the Goliath's obedience and friendliness to (in his mind) limit the risk.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:45 AM   #673
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

OCC: Ok, that delivery makes me laugh! Also, how natural impulsive overconfidence looks on a teenager.

Anil looks at Peter sideways. "I do not understand all of that, but I will keep your secret. Finding this place first... it is an amazing gift. Thank You."

Anil: "An idol? What sort of idol? I have not heard of icons in conjunction with the Karaka Ruins."

Peter lights a fire in the middle of the circle, and it flares up almost instantly, and begins pouring out thick black smoke. The lines in the stone circle shine back unnaturally in the firelight, even though the sun is up. The smoke begins to spin, congeal, and curl rapidly.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 05-11-2021, 08:27 AM   #674
the_matrix_walker

"You're welcome! It's nice to have someone to talk to. It's hard to try and find a way to get along with people when you showed up out of nowhere and can't really explain your story, but everyone wants to know how you got there. I can never know anyone and it gets really lonely. I'd be cray-cray by now without Goliath."

Peter describes the small carved stone object, inlaid with silvery metal he dreamed of in Mr. Cole's possession while he gets the fire ready.

He's very curious to see if his Runt lasts longer or is stronger for being made here... and a little nervous about unforeseen ramifications, so he tries to make his runt as harmless as possible.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:10 AM   #675
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Peter is still describing the figurine when the smoke starts its roiling, and he starts on trying to form a new "Runt".

The smoke doesn't want to form to runt, and it roils trying to form something else, trying to slip out of Peter's mental grasp. As he tries to focus on the dog, he weirdly imagines a tall humanoid with teal skin, massive muscles, pointed ears, and intimidating canines, almost to the point of being tusks.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:46 AM   #676
the_matrix_walker

As soon as the wrong image starts to form in his mind, Peter kicks the fire out and concentrates on dispersing the smoke-form.

"Uh oh! this thing's got a mind of its own! This place wants to make those demons!"
Old 05-12-2021, 07:30 AM   #677
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

"And its not supposed to?" Anil grips the weapons at his side: a pistol and a short curved saber. "You're not trying to get them?"

Make a will roll to stamp out a sudden bonfire while one foot is bruised. And a survival-2 roll to see how effective your stamping is.

Old 05-12-2021, 08:09 AM   #678
the_matrix_walker

Spoiler:  

"I thought the demon things are just what people thought up, like the other Karana creatures... I was just gonna make a little copy of Goliath to test things out."

If the smoke continues to come together, Peter will try and re-assert his control and force the smoke to disperse
Spoiler:  

If that doesn't work, Peter will ready Anil's bow. He hopes that if this thing forms, it's loyal to the rightful ruler here, or its conjurer.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:31 AM   #679
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The fire feeds itself via magic, burning faster than it has any right to. Peter can sense the magic flowing out of the stone into the flames. The fire grows even as Peter attempts to stamp it out.

He steps back and attempts to control the smoke rather than the fire. It slips and slides, forming first one shape, than another. The Demonic image slips into Peter's mind again, but he focuses on the Dog.

The creature writhes it way into existence. It forms as a hybrid between the two images: a large pink creature with the feet and head of a dog, but with the torso slightly off, and a large tusk on one side. Its legs aren't the right length and shape to either walk like a man or like a dog. One side of its face is twisted into a strange shape. It takes a few steps forward, then jumps forward, then sits down and looks at the two boys and wines.

The black smoke continues to rise off the fire, though less strongly than before, and with less curling. It still pulses with magic... though some of it seems to be building up on different portions of the stone.

OCC: that is a high will!

Old 05-13-2021, 10:12 AM   #680
the_matrix_walker

OOC: Ugh, what an unpleasant result... Might a better will roll have a better outcome? Almost seems like even a failure would be better, lol. Keeping the bruised foot may have been a good move! I still have Peter's Luck.

Yeah, I gave him a good Will and Per!

I have 5 unspent points, I'll drop them into a point of Destiny and spend it if that will help...

This mental image is just horrific! (Feel free to roll me a fright check!)

---

If he still has some level of control, can he turn him into a more standard humanoid with more concentration? Maybe then they can communicate...

Peter was able to sense the desires of his runt before... can he sense the mind of this creature and connect to it like his previous creations?

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 05-13-2021 at 10:18 AM.

Tags
lost in dreams