Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Forum Feedback and Help

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 01:33 AM   #1
Agemegos

Default Spurious tags

Some comedian has attached snide tags such as "chickens", "crunchy", "do_not_accede", "nowing", and "no_need_for_tag" to a rather heated thread in the GURPS subforum. I don't suppose that in this case it has been particularly harmful. But it is uncivil, and I fear that it sets a precedent for anonymous snarking.

I would like to suggest that we adopt a convention for tagging threads only in a helpful spirit.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 01-06-2010 at 02:28 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:57 AM   #2
Icelander

Default Re: Spurious tags

I believe that 'nowing', at least, is not spurious. It refers to a proposed tag discussed in that very threat which stands for 'no-wing', or a desire on the part of the thread starting poster to get a set of answers which do not include the suggestion to 'wing' point costs.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:02 AM   #3
tg_ambro

Crunchy and Nowing (both of which I'm not very fond of) makes sense to me as tags, as they are concepts discussed in the thread. The others, not so much.

On a somewhat funny note, the first time I read the all lower case "faq" I mistook it for a derogatory nickname for homosexuals*, after seeing the other snarky bits, I'm sure there was a bit of conditioning going on in my head.

*most PC (not character)thing I've written in a long time

Check out my blog, Ambro's Brainwaves Pretend you have telepathy, read my thoughts!

Last edited by tg_ambro; 01-06-2010 at 03:05 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Some comedian has attached snide tags such as "chickens", "crunchy", "do_not_accede", "nowing", and "no_need_for_tag" to a rather heated thread in the GURPS subforum. I don't suppose that in this case it has been particularly harmful. But it is uncivil, and I fear that it sets a precedent for anonymous snarking.

I would like to suggest that we adopt a convention for tagging threads only in a helpful spirit.
That is the convention. Again, I don't think anyone is going to come onto this thread and champion the cause of spurious, nonhelpful tags.

This is a case of subtle threadcrapping, which is against the rules. It's made more confusing by the lack of clear attribution for tags. I'll see if one of the higher-up admins can research who tagged what, and (assuming so), we'll have a talk with the tagger.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
Old 01-06-2010, 04:34 PM   #5
PK

The magical secrets to revealing who added what tag have been shared, and the forum members responsible for adding the spurious tags (which have now been deleted) have been Warned. If this issue pops up again, please feel free to bring the thread to our attention here in this forum.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
Closed Thread

Tags
civil discourse, netiquette, tags